Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently September 30th, 2014, 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 23rd, 2004, 12:08 pm 

Boy, do I have a dilly of a story for you all. I'll give you the hightlights.

My cookbook was accepted by Benoy Publishing in February of 2003 and was initially was told it would probably be out by Dec./Jan. February of this year, I spoke to her and she told me I would see proofs in March. When May came along and I still hadn't seen anything, I tried calling her...and calling her...and calling her. I left a message once a week for 5 weeks. One time I called and got a kooky message on her machine about a produce company, but I knew it was her voice.

Meanwhile, I started hearing things that the company might be defunct. Her web site was shut down and she closed her e-mail account.

One day, I called and miraculously, she answered (she must have forgotten to screen!). I asked her what was happening and she said she'd lost her parents and had been out of the country. She said she shut down the site and the account because she was being inundated with submissions. She was trying to keep the business going but needed capital. Pages were ready (they were ready in March!) and I would see proofs in 2 weeks or less. Yeah, right. I said, Ok, sure. Let's just see.

Do I need to tell anyone that I never received a thing? And now her phone is disconnected. I am going to take my ms. back and shop it around elsewhere. What bothers me is that I wasted a year-and-a-half with this person and she got my hopes up. :x

I don't know whether she was deluding herself or lying to me, but either way, she's handled this quite unprofessionally.

If anyone cares to share their experience with Benoy, I'd love to hear about it. Meanwhile, I have to extract myself from this woman! :cry:

Thanks for listening.

Post subject: Your experience
PostPosted: July 5th, 2004, 11:12 am 

Sure sorry you had that happen to you. Don't give up though. Keep marketing your book and hopefully it will be a big seller! Wishing you much good fortune.

Warm regards, susie

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2004, 11:20 am 

Thanks so much, Susie. I've already been through so much with this book already--an agent who seemingly disappeared off the face of the planet; many, many rejections based solely on the fact that I'm not a celebrity; and now an inept publisher. Arrgh!! I'm so frustrated. But my instinct for self-torture keeps me going.

No, I will not give up.

Post subject: Hi, Roberta
PostPosted: July 6th, 2004, 12:32 pm 

Sure can empathize with you. Several things like that have happened to me too. One I finally had an ebook out and had to withdraw it. I decided to do that, after much frustration and thought, 'cause the press wasn't promoting it at all. It was my first book and I was really disappointed, plus I had submitted it to so many presses later with no luck, but I'll keep trying too. We'll be each other's encouragement. Hope you have much better luck from now on! Have a great week.

Best always, Susie

Post subject: hang in there!
PostPosted: July 6th, 2004, 4:04 pm 

You will succeed. You have what it takes. So sorry, though, that you had to go through that long period of waiting, for nothing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2004, 6:26 pm 

I sympathize with your situation too. I had an e-book accepted but the company went bust before it was produced. I got my hopes up and then they were dashed.

At least you know your book is good enough to be accepted, so keep trying.

Post subject: Another Benoy victim
PostPosted: July 8th, 2004, 8:32 am 

I worked face to face with Ms. Benoy for 6 months before coming to the conclusion that everything she said was a lie. I spent hundreds of dollars and many, many hours publicizing a series of children's books and trying to find backers for the "nonprofit" publishing company she was trying to start up.

This publisher is a pathological liar and probably wouldn't know the truth if it bit her. She has hurt many people. Don't believe anything she's told you, she doesn't know what's real. As of 3 months ago her parents were alive and well, still living in Hendersonville, NC.

I know the frustration of having publishers lie to you. I have had 2 publishers lie, one go out of a business and an agent steal and lie who ended up going to jail for interstate fraud. You are not alone, but don't give up.

Maura's Trunk

PostPosted: July 14th, 2004, 3:15 pm 

You should be aware that the Internet Fraud Complaint Center (www.ifccfbi.gov/) investigates complaints such as those mentioned above. Obviously, the more complaints against a specific publisher, the higher the probability of an investigation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2004, 3:17 pm 

I came to the same conclusion--that Buzzy Benoy is a liar. I also realized quite a while ago that she is nuts. Really truly nuts. My biggest fear at this point is that she will take my book and try to publish it under her own name. Supposedly, she did a test market and the book sold well (if that is the truth). So, she might get it into her warped head that stealing my book might make her a few bucks.

I'm so sorry to hear of all your bad experiences. It amazes me how many dishonest, evil people there are in the world.

But none of us should give up. The sh*theads of the world shouldn't win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2004, 6:36 pm 

I've recently found out that the NC Department of Justice is investigating Benoy Publishing. E-mail me and I can give you the specifics.

Susan Eileen Walker
sewalker101@hotmail.com

Maura's Trunk