Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently August 28th, 2014, 11:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 7th, 2004, 3:27 pm 

Just curious. Has anyone heard of them or worked for them? If so, what was your experience?

Post subject: American Legacy
PostPosted: May 24th, 2004, 4:07 pm 

I just got a copyediting test from them. It looks kind of suspicious. Did you ever find out anything more?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2004, 11:28 pm 

Don, was you test sent to you from Deborah Brooks (in response to a post on copyeditor.com)? I was supposed to receive a test from them last week - never heard anything more about it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2004, 11:59 pm 

I just got the test too and you are right it does look kind of suspicious. I checked out their website and didn't see a single book or author I had ever heard of. I would love to know if anyone out there has ever worked with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 10:55 am 

Richard, my e-mail closed with "sincerely, Editorial Department," and it was in response to the copyeditor.com ad. The test is a little too cute to be real, but the directions and other information seem about what you'd expect. Strange.
Hi Jennifer. Where is their website? What are you going to do?
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 11:59 am 

I am going to do a little more homework on them - I will let you guys know what I find out. Their website (www.americanlegacybooks) is really, REALLY bad which makes me even more suspicious but doing the test and turning it back in won't do any harm so I plan to at least do that. Did everyone get the same silly story about the three kids going into the house? Hopefully by the time they want me to actually do any work for them, I will have more info to go off of. Lets just keep each other updated on what we find out.

Jennifer

Post subject: American Legacy Books
PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 12:52 pm 

I just got the test, and have not looked at it yet. (I am suspicious of any and all attachments.) However, I checked out their web site and was interested to note that they say their editors have ten plus years of experience. I am very good, but I don't have that. Let's face it, anyone with longtime, serious editing experience at a major house doesn't have to deal with a company like this. She would have enough industry contacts to be able to freelance on her own.

It's obviously a way to suck money--considerable amounts of money--out of self-pubbed authors. How much of that money will be going to those who do the work is worth exploring. But what also is worth exploring is whether I want to go this route for ethical reasons. I don't think so, but I'll be very interested to see what others come up and utlimately decide what to do. Thanks for the discussion.

PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 5:21 pm 

I never applied to them. I thought that it was a little fishy to say that you "set your price." If something seems too good to be true it usually is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 11:43 pm 

I've since been told that my spam-guard software is blocking their email :roll: - go figure!

But, I have had a couple of jobs off copyeditor.com - and they have all been good. Also, as a newbie to the freelance game, I'm reluctant to give up the chase so easily...

PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 12:33 pm 

I just sent my editing sample in; the story's not so bad when you clean it up. If this is for real, I'm not adverse to making money off someone who wants to write--has a story to tell--but can't, and I can help. But this seems pretty far-fetched. I'll post if I hear anything.

PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 1:40 pm 

I found a little information about the background and founder of American Legacy Books here:

http://www.donnawyanthowell.com/donnawh ... resent.htm

(You can scroll down until you see the fancy American Legacy Books heading.)

I'd be interested in seeing someone's "page" once it is posted. I'm a little leery of the use of "code names" and concerned about getting my page pulled if I'm not happy about being associated with the company.

Julie

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 12:00 am 

Hello All--

I'd like to introduce myself before I just chime in. . . .

I am an editor with more than 20 years of experience--10 at publishing houses & 10 elsewhere--who (after one layoff too many) has recently started freelancing.

Point is . . . even with many years of editorial experience under my belt, I have considered returning my test (received today) to American Legacy Books. I am somewhat skeptical due to the lack of info online about these folks, but because I am starting up a business I will take work where I can get it--as long as it's not "dirty" (as in unethical).

The editorial tests given by the publishers I have worked for mostly have been shoddy and "old school," and often just plain bad. Consequently, it will take more than a fishy test to scare me off the hunt for new business! What raises suspicions for me is that fact that all these tests have arrived in our in-boxes now versus more sporadically.

I am interested to see how this pans out for the editors who plan to return the test & hook up with American Legacy Books.

Thanks for letting me horn in! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 1:47 am 

Postcards may be writerdave's great idea of the day, but copyeditor.com is mine. Great to know about!

Post subject: American Legacy Books
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 4:56 am 

I just sent them my edited page, so I'll see what happens.

I'm not rich or established enough to be too snooty. In fact, right now I'm desperate for work. If I don't get something in the next week or two, I won't be able to keep my utilities on or pay July rent. Then I'll be sleeping in a dumpster, which, frankly, scares the spit out of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 1:27 pm 

beijingjenny - did you just learn about copyeditor.com through this thread? Rather interesting if that is the case.

Wandering Sensei - I think we are all in the same boat :oops: However, I'm worried that you say that as ALB have said not to expect work through until July at the earliest. Can I be really rude and ask where you are looking for work?

To be 100% up-front, if you don't mind selling your soul, and working for almost nothing, try out www.getafreelancer.com - it's free to join, you only pay a commission AFTER you have been paid and you can get copywriting work quick! BUT the bid prices are EXTREMELY low and I would in no way suggest you stick with it for long.

Anyhow, the best of luck to you [and I hope you can keep out of the park].