Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently November 28th, 2014, 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Laugh or...?
PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: December 18th, 2004, 9:46 am
Posts: 1971
Location: Central Virginia
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/wr ... 72130.html

These people do not seem to know how insulting an ad like this is.

_________________
Charlie Self
www.charlieselfonline.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2009, 1:47 am 
Offline

Joined: February 8th, 2003, 9:06 pm
Posts: 296
Location: Canada
A few years ago I had a publisher offer me a monthly column in his magazine. No pay but he'd take me out for lunch every month.

No thanks. But now that I look back on it, maybe I should have said yes and ordered the most expensive item on the menu and a huge dessert. And a doggy bag.

_________________
Horseback riding is life, the rest is just details.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2009, 4:26 am 
Offline

Joined: December 18th, 2004, 9:46 am
Posts: 1971
Location: Central Virginia
Whistler wrote:
A few years ago I had a publisher offer me a monthly column in his magazine. No pay but he'd take me out for lunch every month.

No thanks. But now that I look back on it, maybe I should have said yes and ordered the most expensive item on the menu and a huge dessert. And a doggy bag.


These clowns today would expect you to pay for the lunch.

_________________
Charlie Self
www.charlieselfonline.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2009, 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: December 9th, 2003, 9:32 pm
Posts: 978
Location: Sedona, AZ
What's sad and frustrating is that some jerk writer will take this job, which will make other publications do the same thing. Some writers just have no shame, pride or sense of self worth. If writers would stop taking substandard pay, publications would pay more.

Have Fun,
Jeff

_________________
If you're interested in photography, stock images of Arizona and Fine Art Prints of Arizona, visit www.TheCreativesCorner.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 2:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: December 18th, 2004, 9:46 am
Posts: 1971
Location: Central Virginia
Jeff Colburn wrote:
What's sad and frustrating is that some jerk writer will take this job, which will make other publications do the same thing. Some writers just have no shame, pride or sense of self worth. If writers would stop taking substandard pay, publications would pay more.

Have Fun,
Jeff


That sounds like my younger son-in-law, except he has one immense sense of self-worth, though no pride or willingness to work or shame about it.

_________________
Charlie Self
www.charlieselfonline.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 8:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: March 12th, 2007, 1:55 pm
Posts: 175
Location: New River, AZ
Right on Jeff! That's the problem. There's always gonna be inexperienced, naive, or desperate writers willing to fall for that crap. Unfortunately, freelancers don't have a union like the screen writers guild. And we all know what they were able to pull off. They pretty much shut down the business for months.

But then, you get what you pay for, and a lot of the writing out there these days is mediocre at best.

_________________
Dan Heim, Desert Dweller
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." — Groucho Marx


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: writers
PostPosted: August 3rd, 2009, 7:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: July 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm
Posts: 1
Location: VA
This is probably some temp position where they have no intention of giving the writer any real opprotunity. These ads usually mean someone is falling short on a deadline and just wants to make it out alive.

Or they're desperate to make a cutback and would rather sacrifice quality. I'd say someone will take them up on it as bad as the economy is. That is sad. There is price gouging if consumers pay, but it's just reversed in cases like this. People aren't paid what they deserve.

_________________
Laura Wright:
Laurawrites.net
Virginia Creeper House of Horror
Appalachian Gothic
Free reads @AppalachianGothic.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: writers
PostPosted: August 4th, 2009, 7:05 am 
Offline

Joined: December 18th, 2004, 9:46 am
Posts: 1971
Location: Central Virginia
Laurawrites wrote:
This is probably some temp position where they have no intention of giving the writer any real opprotunity. These ads usually mean someone is falling short on a deadline and just wants to make it out alive.

Or they're desperate to make a cutback and would rather sacrifice quality. I'd say someone will take them up on it as bad as the economy is. That is sad. There is price gouging if consumers pay, but it's just reversed in cases like this. People aren't paid what they deserve.


Of course it's a temp position. It's freelance, and by definition, freelance is a job-by-job way of working.

I doubt it has much to do with deadlines. It's just another jerk who wants to get rich riding on other people's backs. They're also probably not making cutbacks. Their business plan almost certainly calls for cut rate writing--and everything else but the salaries of the founders.

I understand Dickens occasionally had to work for a penny a word: that might have been semi-sane in Victorian England, but it's total idiocy for any professional writer today.

_________________
Charlie Self
www.charlieselfonline.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group