Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 16th, 2014, 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 9:51 am 

Ele wrote:
Here's the famous interview... and he actually talks about chess! Dave, where is your sense of adventure?

Hi Ele,
Well, given that Lisa asked about chess, I thought it would be inappropriate to talk about penguins.

groovy-old-lady wrote:
I must have missed all this when I was on vacation in New York. Dave, that query letter is supremely awful!

Thanks, Grooves. Feel free to call on me the next time you have something you don't want published.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 1:26 pm 

In a fit of anger at recieving my 10th rejection for my 1st wallflower novel ,I picked a publisher solely on the fact that she had a similar email address as my sister AND I told her that after saying "it's all a crap shoot anyway- right?" . Needless to say I got a rejection.
This is a true story.

http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2008, 1:30 pm 

Lauri, I may have been lucky that you didn't enter the contest.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 3:41 am 

DaveLevin wrote:
Lauri, I may have been lucky that you didn't enter the contest.

Dave

It's sad really that I sent that. I imagine some day that coming back and biting me in the bum. It just gets so frustrating sometimes with publishers and agents. Last week I got an email from an agent asking if I could send them a synopsis of one of my short stories. I mean do I really want an agent that can't trouble herself to read my 3000 word story? Actually the whole concept of agents pisses me off. I could REALLY write a crappy letter to one of those folks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 5:58 am 

I quite understand the frustration, Lauri. I think if I ever do another book, it will be in electronic form only and available through my website. Could that type of arrangement be viable for any of your writing?

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 6:17 am 

DaveLevin wrote:
I quite understand the frustration, Lauri. I think if I ever do another book, it will be in electronic form only and available through my website. Could that type of arrangement be viable for any of your writing?

Dave

I think that would be a great idea. My big problem is how to be paid? PayPal doesn't work completely in Botswana. Last time I checked they only worked for one thing, I think it was for me to pay people. Do you know of any other way to sort out payment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 8:20 am 

LoloK wrote:
I think that would be a great idea. My big problem is how to be paid? PayPal doesn't work completely in Botswana. Last time I checked they only worked for one thing, I think it was for me to pay people. Do you know of any other way to sort out payment?

Hi Lauri,
There's free software called VirtueMart that among many other things, supposedly handles conversion of currencies not fully supported on PayPal. I have no personal experience with VirtueMart (as I learned of it only a half hour ago), but it appears to be worth looking into. I imagine that your website guy could set this up for you without much trouble. Here's the website.

http://virtuemart.net/

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2008, 1:34 pm 

If you're talking about an eBook... what about Clickbank.com? Charlie, did you sign up with them yet? Do you recall if they take foreign exchange accounts? Must go look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2008, 5:52 am 

Ele wrote:
If you're talking about an eBook... what about Clickbank.com? Charlie, did you sign up with them yet? Do you recall if they take foreign exchange accounts? Must go look.

The problem (I think) is not so much the taking of foreign exchange it is getting the money to Botswana. Most of these places don't want to deal with Botswana banks, more misconception then anything because our bank system is first class. I checked out PayPal again. I can use it to pay people only I can't get paid from them. I have a credit card and debit card so I don't know who can put the money directly in them.