Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently December 21st, 2014, 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 29th, 2008, 1:46 pm 

I'm a cozy mystery fan, and love a good series that goes on and on. Lately, I've noticed that books are getting the kabosh after Book 3 or 4... most annoying to the fans to have a series end when the characters are just getting developed and the stories getting good. Often the writer is offered another new series opportunity, and has to drop everything to appease the publisher.... or lose the contract. In discussion with ePublishers who would seem like a logical alternative to continue an established series (traditional publisher apparently don't like taking on an old series), problems like this arise:

"I would imagine in some cases, authors don't have their rights back
either. Just because a publisher doesn't pick up the next book, doesn't
mean they release the rights to the series to the author."

Outrageous! So be forewarned.... I think there are some changes and possible opportunities developing for fiction writers, but you better make sure your contract allows you to take your work with you when you go. And trust me.... your fans will appreciate it. There are two things that will irritate a series reader:

Not getting the next book fast enough.

Not getting the next book at all!

Something to think about. Authors and publishers. Keep your readers happy.
--

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 8:18 pm 

Tis seems to be something of an addenda to WIllow's contract problems. Always make sure you understand what you're signing. Sometimes having a lawyer vet a contract seems like an unneeded expense, especially if you don't expect a book, or series of books, to be high earners. But, as Dan Brown found out, you never know.

I've gotten burned in this arena myself, primarily because I didn't understand the sales tactics used by the publisher. No. I didn't know them. I'm not sure how I could have found out, but signing a contract that allows the publisher to reduce your royalty percentage by almost as much as the publisher allows in extra discounts too boost sales is a bad deal when that publisher sells 90% or more of its books at higher than standard discounts.

I was very upset when I saw six month sales figures of almost 60,000 copies and a royalty check for about $5,900, when I thought I'd get about 75-80 cents per copy.

Long time ago (20+ years) but the irritation still lingers. It was my own fault, for not being more insistent about standardized steps, but pressures of life and a fast-talking publisher did me in. Or did my wallet in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 8:25 am 

What happened with Dan Brown?

Colleen

"Write the Truth." (Author's advice written in signed copy of Robert McKee's "Story.")

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 9:51 am 

carroach wrote:
What happened with Dan Brown?

Colleen

If memory serves, that fairly mediocre thriller he wrote hit a nerve somewhere, and sold something over 52 million copies, and was made into a major movie (is there a "minor" movie?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 4:47 pm 

It was fairly mediocre and was only notable because it connected so many old theories, which afficionados had been connecting all along. Sort of like The Secret. Another blockbuster that offered no new information. Just old info to a younger generation. Timing, and the willingness to sit down and write about it again, sometimes seems to work. Clever packaging helps, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2008, 5:08 pm 

Ele wrote:
It was fairly mediocre and was only notable because it connected so many old theories, which afficionados had been connecting all along. Sort of like The Secret. Another blockbuster that offered no new information. Just old info to a younger generation. Timing, and the willingness to sit down and write about it again, sometimes seems to work. Clever packaging helps, too.

I wonder what my stupid machine, or Foxmire, is doing. I have to sign in every time I come on. Nuisance.

I can't complain about repackaging, at least not too much. I'll be shortening and repackaging as many of my earlier books as I can, in PDF files for sale on my web site. I've got one almost done now, though it's not strictly a repackage as all the content is new. The idea's one I never sold, back in the late '70s when I tried. Next up, I'll repackage one of my first books. I'm also doing whatever magazine articles are suitable, for cheaper, shorter packages. I hope by year's end to have three books and maybe six articles on sale, with 2/3 of the books and all of the articles repackaged items. Of course, repackaging for the 'Net takes a devil of a lot of work, because of technology changes, both in what I write about, and in the method of presentation and sale.