Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently September 16th, 2014, 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reputable Reviewers
PostPosted: July 9th, 2008, 4:52 pm 

Hey Everyone!

I just published my first book: Life After College What Your Parents and Professors Never Taught You (http://www.booklocker.com/books/3488.html)with Booklocker.com. I'm very excited!

I know I need to get the book reviewed by somebody, but I just want anybody. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of any reputable reviewers, who don't charge and book award contest.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 9th, 2008, 6:35 pm 

Congratulations! It's not easy to get a book published (seeing as how one has to FINISH the book first...LOL).

I would be willing to review it for just a copy of the book. I don't know of any reviewers let alone any that don't get paid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 5:37 pm 

bwhite wrote:
Congratulations! It's not easy to get a book published (seeing as how one has to FINISH the book first...LOL).

I would be willing to review it for just a copy of the book. I don't know of any reviewers let alone any that don't get paid.

Reviewers, those who do get paid, generally get paid by the publication, not the writer. In fact, I've never heard of a writer paying for a review--kind of a conflict of interest there, if one expects honesty.

The simplest bet is for the OP to check with her local newspapers and see which one review local books books, how often, and how deeply. Also, local lifestyle magazines might run a review, or even a short color piece on the local writer. From that point, it's worth a trip to the library to check out newspapers at a distance.

Review copies can get expensive, which is one reason I like to do trade books. It's the publisher's responsibility to get them out--and to maintain the list for the subject matter. I'd guess that my two current publishers send out upwards of 100 copies to various reviewers. Books on more general subjects than mine need to go to far more reviewers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 9:35 pm 

I am a book reviewer with Book Pleasures (bookpleasures.com). There are over 600 reviewers from around the world, interested in different genres. You might drop Norm Goldman a line/press release, about your book, bookpleasures@gmail.com. The reviews are free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2008, 10:15 pm 

SHBueche wrote:
There are over 600 reviewers from around the world, interested in different genres. You might drop Norm Goldman a line/press release, about your book, bookpleasures@gmail.com.

Do that for sure! The most insightful review I've seen of any of my books was by a Book Pleasures reviewer. Her astute assessment of the strengths and weaknesses of the book pleased me more than has any other review, even glowing ones.

Dave

Post subject: Re: Reputable Reviewers
PostPosted: July 15th, 2008, 9:00 am 

ChaChanna Simpson wrote:
Hey Everyone!

I just published my first book: Life After College What Your Parents and Professors Never Taught You (http://www.booklocker.com/books/3488.html)with Booklocker.com. I'm very excited!

I know I need to get the book reviewed by somebody, but I just want anybody. I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations of any reputable reviewers, who don't charge and book award contest.

Thanks!

You might want to check this out: http://parapublishing.com/sites/para/re ... illist.cfm

I have heard Dan Poynter's name for years, and he seems to operate a busy site, with a free newsletter, but my interest is in the lists. I was a shade surprised at the cost of the three lists I needed, but, hey...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2008, 1:51 pm 

Dan Poynter knows his stuff. You can't be in better company when it comes to self-publishing.

That brings up another point. Many review sites may be free, but they won't review self-published books. I think this will change, as self-publishing becomes more and more popular and the quality of the writing gives traditional publishers a serious run for the money. I already see this happening... last two eBooks I read were good as any hardcover. Which begs the question... are there any good review sites that deal only in PODs and eBooks. Surely, Angela would have an answer for that.

That said... consider a blog book tour for your book. Find blogs out there that relate to your subject... there must be tons for that age group. Career blogs. College blogs. Parenting blogs. Be imaginative. Go to my site that tells about how to do this:

http://quickest.blogbooktourguide.ever.com

Lots of authors jumping on this bandwagon for good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 6:04 am 

Ele wrote:
Dan Poynter knows his stuff. You can't be in better company when it comes to self-publishing.

That brings up another point. Many review sites may be free, but they won't review self-published books. I think this will change, as self-publishing becomes more and more popular and the quality of the writing gives traditional publishers a serious run for the money. I already see this happening... last two eBooks I read were good as any hardcover. Which begs the question... are there any good review sites that deal only in PODs and eBooks. Surely, Angela would have an answer for that.

That said... consider a blog book tour for your book. Find blogs out there that relate to your subject... there must be tons for that age group. Career blogs. College blogs. Parenting blogs. Be imaginative. Go to my site that tells about how to do this:

http://quickest.blogbooktourguide.ever.com

Lots of authors jumping on this bandwagon for good reason.

Sounds good to me.

A quick note, something a friend (who once taught college English, but who has been a freelance writer for nearly as I have) and I were discussing by email last week: begs a question does NOT directly mean asks a question. Begging a question means giving an answer that doesn't answer, but begs for another question. It's idiomatic speech, of course, and is being reformed now to a simpler mode, I guess, but it always catches my eye in political seasons when politicians and their ilk are begging every question they can (both sides are currently batting about .995).

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 10:36 am 

Charlie, a typical bit of mind mechanics from your sex... as opposed to, your gender. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 11:47 am 

Ele wrote:
Charlie, a typical bit of mind mechanics from your sex... as opposed to, your gender. ;)

Er, if you say so.

I just finished, I think, my online photo book for story tellers. Whoo, boy. I'm not sure I ever want to put that much effort into 50 or so pages again. Doing the writing, photography and layout, added to editing and proofreading, is murderous.

I also am unable to shrink the final size under 11 MBs, which may create a download problem for some people (fortunately, I only have to do one upload, once I'm ready to roll. At least I think that's all I need to do. Uncharted waters for me).

I think I need to find out how to get an ISBN, too, for that "just in case" pick-up happenstance for Amazon or some such place.

I can do that while the CDs rest at three friends' houses awaiting final judgment from them. I do not ever show my trade work before sending it to editors, but with this shot, I've got three friends who have long been among the top writers (and photographers) in my field. I am sticking them with a second reading of the book. It has now been fleshed out, a model added where I had drawings for how to hold and stand with a camera (an 18 year old granddaughter helped there), and a four page glossary written and added (that left me feeling as if someone had wrapped my head in what the Brits call cotton wool, and then head bumped me with sofa cushions). I put the glossary right up front. I've never figured out why they were in the rear, sort of like a bustle, useless and hard to get into.

While that's going on, my wife, Frances, will be doing a final proofreading to see how many times the spell checker and MS Publisher let me screw that up. The biggest problem may be sentence structure and meaning, so it's good to have a wife who is totally uninterested in photography to run a final check. If she understands, I'm in good shape. The other guys can catch the techincal gaffes, but I need to make sure the message is more than a massage. She has her point and shoot digital, AKA known as a grab-and-go, with which she gets what she wants from photography. It's a lot cheaper, and her shots show an amazingly good eye, better than mine in a lot of instances. But she knows zip about photography in any more technical way.

Then I have to figure whether the thing is more likely to sell 1,000 or so copies a year for a couple years at $7.99, or $8.99.

And I need to start edging into the budget so I can lay out the cash for a bigger monitor. This 19" CRT is a good one, but it's a horror story when you're trying to read two 8-1/2x11 pages side by side. I just got the last advance check on a trade book, so that may help keep the screams down. Blasted Dell just jacked the price back up 20 bucks, though, so it's now $599 plus shipping and tax. Ugh. And they listed their $379 one right underneath. Double ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 8:25 pm 

Charlie, you can't zip the file? For the dial-ups? It'll take a long time to download.

I have 56MB of Vista updates I should be downloading. Dang, they eat up the memory anyway they can.... and this is just critical updates. Buzzards. Will take overnight online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2008, 9:11 pm 

Ele wrote:
Charlie, you can't zip the file? For the dial-ups? It'll take a long time to download.

I have 56MB of Vista updates I should be downloading. Dang, they eat up the memory anyway they can.... and this is just critical updates. Buzzards. Will take overnight online.

I tried zipping it a couple weeks ago and it managed to shrink it by 1 MB. Worth another try, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 18th, 2008, 4:57 am 

charliediy wrote:
Ele wrote:

I tried zipping it a couple weeks ago and it managed to shrink it by 1 MB. Worth another try, though.

I tried Winzip on it last night. Got about a 1-1/4 MB reduction, hardly worth it.

Sigh.

I also looked at the copy I printed so my wife could proof the thing. I then went through the entire book and changed the typeface. I had changed from Arial to Calibri based on the fact that Calibri looks smoother on screen, fewer letter gaps within words. In print, it is bloody awful! Much worse than Arial. I'm not fascinated by the swing to san serif typefaces for reading, so I went right on back to Times Roman. That worked. It's much better looking.

Stick with the old faithfuls, I guess. Looking cool is nice, but not if it gives you or your readers a massive headache.