Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 31st, 2014, 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 1:42 pm 

I can't believe that I threw out the only copy of my book that had the most done on it!!!! *throws tantrum* :*( I decided to work on my book that I started a few years ago and found out that the scratching I had so carelessly tossed was the copy that had the most written and that I had NOT typed it in on my computer copy.
So now, after heavy debating, I have concluded to try to re-write it as close as I can remember and shoot from the hip on the rest. I feel like such a stupid idiot for not checking before I tossed.

Please, someone hand me something GOOOOOOOD...... :cry:

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 4:52 pm 

bwhite wrote:
I can't believe that I threw out the only copy of my book that had the most done on it!!!! *throws tantrum* :*( I decided to work on my book that I started a few years ago and found out that the scratching I had so carelessly tossed was the copy that had the most written and that I had NOT typed it in on my computer copy.
So now, after heavy debating, I have concluded to try to re-write it as close as I can remember and shoot from the hip on the rest. I feel like such a stupid idiot for not checking before I tossed.

Please, someone hand me something GOOOOOOOD...... :cry:

I'm glad I never did anything like that. Yeah. I did it often enough that, these days, I use two external hard drives to make sure everything with the slightest chance of utility hangs around...having said that, I find I've lost the email address of an editor for whom I've done a couple dozen articles over the years (though not in the last couple). Embarrassing. I'll call him Tuesday and get it, but it also puts off firing off a query that's burning holes in my fingertips right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 11:27 pm 

I finally got the flash drive to work, and wow, what a cool thing. I can wear the entire contents of my computer around my neck. Why did it take me so long to get one of these? Nice knowing I have that backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 1:11 am 

I thought I had fallen into that same boat (and somehow put a hole in it in the process). I started to write a book a long time ago. I won't say how long but it was long before the Wang made its first appearance. And I was so sure that I had tossed the folder long ago. But as I was packing my office, after retiring from the company I last worked for, I cam across an old scuffed up file folder with no title. I was sure it was some product design that had been dropped but just as I was tossing it into the trash bin I took one last look and there is was. There are about 50 random pages that I wrote so that I would remember some key points. Now I am going to finish it. Or at least I am going to give it my best shot.

One side note; Do not rely on hard drives to save your most important files use CDs or DVDs. Hard drives are reliable but they are still complicated mechanical devices that can and eventually will break down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 5:05 am 

Ele wrote:
I finally got the flash drive to work, and wow, what a cool thing. I can wear the entire contents of my computer around my neck. Why did it take me so long to get one of these? Nice knowing I have that backup.

Are you using a flash drive or a little thumb drive? The ones I see don't have enough memory to hold much more than one photo illustrated book. I do have some flash memory, SDHC cards, for my camera that hold 8 and 16 GBs, though. That larger card lets me shoot 1,200-1,300 photos in raw (unformatted and large). Beats the daylights out of the days I used a motor drive and 50' bulk back on an old Canon F1, as that gave me about 350 photos, and was super expensive and heavy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 9:16 am 

Oh but I miss my film cameras. My Sony digital has a limit of 128mb sticks and I have never understood why they placed that limit. What’s worse is that my Sony TV that accepts memory sticks has a 64mb limit!
This trip to china is the first time I didn't bring film cameras and it was a big mistake. The digitals just aren't fast enough. I would happily trade off the hassle and weight of my camera bags an 50 – 100 rolls of film to have been able to have gotten the shots I missed. Especially considering that many of the 1-2000year old temples no longer exist since the quakes here over the last couple of weeks.
I guess I will need to check out some of the new models but I am on a tight budget and can't just plunk down $1000+ for a new digital.
I still wouldn't even consider a model shoot without my medium format film cams.

but that wasn't what I was going to say.
My cell phone uses a 1gb chip that is no bigger than my little fingernail and only cost about $20. You might not be able to put all that many RAW photos on it but it will hold an entire books worth of text or .doc My entire writing complete with support photos is only 548mb
But even these flash drives can fail.
I really suggest putting critical files on CDs or DVDs they are cheap and as close as you can get to failsafe

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 10:22 am 

I still recommend Google Documents for a back-up service. It's an online server. It's free. And it holds photos, text, forms, etc. You can edit your work on the server (just like in Word) and opt in for file sharing if you're co-authoring something. Everything is password protected and accessible via the Net.

Here is my latest back-up system then: I save the file first on my XP desktop. Then I save it at Google. Then I either email it to myself or download it onto my laptop from Google Documents. This way, I have three back-ups: hard drive on desktop, Google Documents online, and hard drive on laptop. The desktop is an XP and the laptop is a Vista operating system, but adjusting the format is the least of my worries.

Oh, final copies still get printed out, too. :)

To find Google Documents, just *ahem* Google the words.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 2:31 pm 

Jeanne, after losing a couple of well-written blog posts and listserv entries, I got to thinking I really should compose in Google Docs, shouldn't I? Duh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 25th, 2008, 6:10 pm 

Borsia wrote:
Oh but I miss my film cameras. My Sony digital has a limit of 128mb sticks and I have never understood why they placed that limit. What’s worse is that my Sony TV that accepts memory sticks has a 64mb limit!
This trip to china is the first time I didn't bring film cameras and it was a big mistake. The digitals just aren't fast enough. I would happily trade off the hassle and weight of my camera bags an 50 – 100 rolls of film to have been able to have gotten the shots I missed. Especially considering that many of the 1-2000year old temples no longer exist since the quakes here over the last couple of weeks.
I guess I will need to check out some of the new models but I am on a tight budget and can't just plunk down $1000+ for a new digital.
I still wouldn't even consider a model shoot without my medium format film cams.

but that wasn't what I was going to say.
My cell phone uses a 1gb chip that is no bigger than my little fingernail and only cost about $20. You might not be able to put all that many RAW photos on it but it will hold an entire books worth of text or .doc My entire writing complete with support photos is only 548mb
But even these flash drives can fail.
I really suggest putting critical files on CDs or DVDs they are cheap and as close as you can get to failsafe

It has been years since 548MB covered my entire written work. The actual words in a book don't eat much, really, but the photos do.

In what way was your Sony too slow? They are not classed (in the P&S category) as a particularly desirable camera. If it simply didn't respond until long after you pressed the shutter release, that's shutter lag, and it can be a horror story if you're at all used to 35mm film cameras. You can learn to allow for it, but it's always there, with every digital P&S I've seen. Solution, as you realize, is a digital SLR. But you don't need to spend $1,000 these days. The Pentax K200D is selling right now, with an 18-55mm lens (equivalent to a 35mm camera's 24mm to about 82mm) for $695, and Pentax has a freshly installed $100 rebate. Add probably 20 bucks shipping, and a 2 or 4GB SDHC memory card, and your final cost will be under $695. At a later date, add faster or longer or wider lenses as you desire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 4:31 am 

Slow in pretty much every way.
First the time from when you turn the camera on to the time it is ready is about 5-7 seconds. This might not sound like a big deal but when you are driving and there isn't a good (safe) place to stop. In most cases you are long past the subject.

You can not just leave the camera turned on. It will turn itself off to conserve the battery and if you keep giving it prompts the battery will run down.
Of course my film cameras can be left turned on for weeks without running the batteries down.
Shutter lag is terrible I am so used to instant shutter release that it drives me nuts.
The shutter speeds are way to slow even though it claims to be 1000 with ISO 400 it doesn’t even come close to actually doing this.
Most of my photography is done “on the move” and it is a rare luxury to be able to stop and pose anything.
Again I am used to using a film camera with a fairly fast lens and getting a true 1-2000.
The low light capacities of digitals again are terrible. Although mine has a night shot that dosen't require any light at all beyond its infra red.
The size and weight of this camera is about the same as my 35mm with a 150 lens.

Back when I bought this Sony Cyber-shot 5.3 mp it cost $895 and with the minimum required extras the final price was $1100. At that time any true SLR was $15-20,000.

They are much cheaper today but I will point out one incident that took place about a year ago.
A friend of mine owns a company that makes Sand Cars. He wanted a model shoot to do a calendar. Typical scanty bikinis with cars setup in full sun and posed. But it was to be a “running” shoot. By that I mean that I wanted the 5 girls to be in and out in different suits and moving fast from pose to pose to music.
He had another friend there with a brand new top of the line Nikon digital SLR which he told me set him back close to $20,000 with all of the lenses.
I shot 10 rolls of 35mm (360 frames) and 10 rolls of 120 (120 frames). The Nikon shot 1500 frames. Of my 360 35mm 300 were sharp and clean and there were 70 good shots and 20 great shots. Of the 120, which were much more posed, all were technically good and 50 were great. Almost any photographer will tell you that my results would be considered excellent for the numbers.
The guy with the Nikon had less than 100 that were technically ok and 2 that were “useable”.
His biggest problem was shutter lag. But just as many were blurry due to shutter speeds that were too slow.
Of course Much of this is due to the photographer I studied photography for years completing college classes from basic B+W to commercial large format up to 8x10 (that’s the negative size not the print size) And I had done many shoots similar to this so I knew what to expect when the big fans were on and the hair was flying.
I never looked at his camera to see it’s features I suspect his biggest problem was operator error.

I just now looked at some of the SLR digitals and they were around $8-1100 (body only) they were Cannon and Nikon. On my budget as a retired person even $700 is a lot of money. I didn’t price the lenses since I can’t afford the body but I am sure they are expensive just as they were when I bought my film cameras, probably more so.

I will have to check out the Google Space thing. But I can tell you that if you are in a 3rd world country uploading large files isn’t an option. I am currently in China and we have what is supposed to be ADSL it is much slower than dial-up. Transfers in both directions often are single digit IE 5-9kbs. And disconnects are a constant problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 6:19 am 

Borsia wrote:
Slow in pretty much every way.
First the time from when you turn the camera on to the time it is ready is about 5-7 seconds. This might not sound like a big deal but when you are driving and there isn't a good (safe) place to stop. In most cases you are long past the subject.

You can not just leave the camera turned on. It will turn itself off to conserve the battery and if you keep giving it prompts the battery will run down.
Of course my film cameras can be left turned on for weeks without running the batteries down.
Shutter lag is terrible I am so used to instant shutter release that it drives me nuts.
The shutter speeds are way to slow even though it claims to be 1000 with ISO 400 it doesn’t even come close to actually doing this.
Most of my photography is done “on the move” and it is a rare luxury to be able to stop and pose anything.
Again I am used to using a film camera with a fairly fast lens and getting a true 1-2000.
The low light capacities of digitals again are terrible. Although mine has a night shot that dosen't require any light at all beyond its infra red.
The size and weight of this camera is about the same as my 35mm with a 150 lens.

Back when I bought this Sony Cyber-shot 5.3 mp it cost $895 and with the minimum required extras the final price was $1100. At that time any true SLR was $15-20,000.

They are much cheaper today but I will point out one incident that took place about a year ago.
A friend of mine owns a company that makes Sand Cars. He wanted a model shoot to do a calendar. Typical scanty bikinis with cars setup in full sun and posed. But it was to be a “running” shoot. By that I mean that I wanted the 5 girls to be in and out in different suits and moving fast from pose to pose to music.
He had another friend there with a brand new top of the line Nikon digital SLR which he told me set him back close to $20,000 with all of the lenses.
I shot 10 rolls of 35mm (360 frames) and 10 rolls of 120 (120 frames). The Nikon shot 1500 frames. Of my 360 35mm 300 were sharp and clean and there were 70 good shots and 20 great shots. Of the 120, which were much more posed, all were technically good and 50 were great. Almost any photographer will tell you that my results would be considered excellent for the numbers.
The guy with the Nikon had less than 100 that were technically ok and 2 that were “useable”.
His biggest problem was shutter lag. But just as many were blurry due to shutter speeds that were too slow.
Of course Much of this is due to the photographer I studied photography for years completing college classes from basic B+W to commercial large format up to 8x10 (that’s the negative size not the print size) And I had done many shoots similar to this so I knew what to expect when the big fans were on and the hair was flying.
I never looked at his camera to see it’s features I suspect his biggest problem was operator error.

I just now looked at some of the SLR digitals and they were around $8-1100 (body only) they were Cannon and Nikon. On my budget as a retired person even $700 is a lot of money. I didn’t price the lenses since I can’t afford the body but I am sure they are expensive just as they were when I bought my film cameras, probably more so.

Same deal here. My first owned digital was an Olympus C2020, bought for $899, with about $250 worth of accessories. It did what I wanted it to do--shoot black and whites for tool manuals--but with a lot of manipulation (flash was useless, no off-camera flash, so I still own a set of hot lights I almost never use). The sharpness of the lens and the immediacy of the results were essential, though.

Yes, my K10D turns itself off after an interval, which I can set. But it "sleeps" it doesn't die. I can pick it up and brush the shutter button. By the time it reaches my eye, it is ready to go.

Your pal with the Nikon shouldn't be on auto, either, which is what messes up the shutter speeds. Set the shutter speed and adjust the aperture in the situation you describe.

There is no measurable shutter lag in the DSLRs. Rephrase that: it takes very, very precise measuring equipment to determine that lag, because it's in the very low milliseconds, just as it is in any SLR.

I am dead sure it was operator error. The guy didn't read the manual, as in RTFM, ol' buddy!

You make a lot of generalizations from a bad experience with an inexpert shooter. Digital cameras' low light capabilities vary, with point and shoot being the worst. Some DSLRs are good, some aren't, but that mostly has to do with the focus, not the ability to take shots. Canon is about the best right now, but the cameras cost $3,000 to $8,000.

I use a Pentax K10D ($700 new last year) to shoot auto and motorcycle races. It is significantly slower focusing than other DSLRs in a higher price bracket, but I've been doing his for a long time, so as long as I pay attention, I'm getting a ratio of about 2 keepers to 5 shots. Given speeds often in excess of 100MPH, I figure that's just fine.

And now, my Wild Blue satellite system is giving me Error: Host Not Available messages. According to them inteference of almost any kind, or down time time of any kind, is caused by an Act of God, for which they're not responsible. But for $99 they'll send someone out to reverse the effect of a light morning dew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 6:23 am 

I just looked up the Pentax and it offeres some very good specs.
The lens that I would consider the minimum for my use is the 18-250. @ $500.
So we are right in there at 1200 add the rest of the required extras and you are tipping the scales (or sales) at about $1500.
I am a little conserned about it using AA batteries. One of the things I like about my old Sony is that it goes a long ways on a recharge and carrying a backup battery gives my over 200hrs. I have only used 1 digital that uses AAs (an Olympus) and it sucked them dry in no time. When you are traveling don't expect to be able to get Duracells (at least not real ones) So this concerns me.

Something I saw on the Canon that I haven't looked at the others is that they give an operating temprature of 32-104f that is a pretty narrow range. It covers most places but here in China it is not at all uncomon to be in 25f and in the summer 104f isn't high enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 6:33 am 

Let me just say that he was a NIKON guy. I'm sure that since you have been into photography you know the type. He owns every available accessory and very little knowledge. Although he could quote all of the specs I doubt that he understood what he was saying.
I think the next time I get some windfall I will look into upgrading my equipment. But until then I will carry at least 1 film camera. I just lost so many shots that I will never see again. But then that is usually true of every shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 7:59 am 

Borsia wrote:
I just looked up the Pentax and it offeres some very good specs.
The lens that I would consider the minimum for my use is the 18-250. @ $500.
So we are right in there at 1200 add the rest of the required extras and you are tipping the scales (or sales) at about $1500.
I am a little conserned about it using AA batteries. One of the things I like about my old Sony is that it goes a long ways on a recharge and carrying a backup battery gives my over 200hrs. I have only used 1 digital that uses AAs (an Olympus) and it sucked them dry in no time. When you are traveling don't expect to be able to get Duracells (at least not real ones) So this concerns me.

Something I saw on the Canon that I haven't looked at the others is that they give an operating temprature of 32-104f that is a pretty narrow range. It covers most places but here in China it is not at all uncomon to be in 25f and in the summer 104f isn't high enough

My K10D uses a lithium battery, I htink the same type Canon uses in many of their DSLRs, though I'm not sure. When I had a *istD, I was getting approximately 500-750 shots off a set of rechargeable NiMH AA batteries. When I decided to drop rechargeables, I went with Energizer lithium E2 cells. They're pricey, maybe two bucks each, which means $8 per load, but I was getting about 1,500 shots, with NO hassles. It takes maybe 1.5 seconds to change the batteries. Currently, I just ordered my #6 lithium for the K10D. I've got a three day race weekend coming up June 6-8, and I'll be camping out, so no charging is possible. Those six batteries give me about a 4,200 shot capability, maybe a bit more or less. I'm carrying SDHC cards that allow about 4,000 shots. I figure that probably I won't shoot more than 1,000 any day, probably 700-800, so I've got built in slack.

I've used the K10D in 90+ weather late last summer. It dropped below freezing a few times here, and the camera gave no problems.Before that, in four years, I used my *istD, with AAs, in temperatures from 0 F. to about 100 F. Pentax lists no temperature range that I can find in the manual. Generally, and this is my understanding, not a cited fact that I can recall, temp problems with digital cameras are caused by the battery. A cold battery doesn't function as effectively as a moderately warm one. A hot battery can explode. In
fact, though, like you a find the 32-104 F. limits too restraining. I doubt they are accurate.

At my age, though, when it gets over about 90, I find someplace cool to sit down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2008, 9:18 am 

I thought it was a strange spec to list but if Canon bothers to list it they must have some reason. I didn’t find it in Pentax’s specs.
The results you are getting for battery life are certainly acceptable. If they offer a single rechargeable with the option of using AAs that would be great.
Like I said on my budget it will be a long time before I can think about replacing the old Sony. Somehow I seem to always be just ahead of the curve on cameras. I bought a VHS camcorder because the digitals were so expensive and it wasn’t a month before the price dropped. I suspect that by the time I can afford to do anything the price of the digital SLRs will have come down quite a bit. For now I am just hoping that film development won’t become too much of a problem. I am going back to the states for the summer then returning to China and I am going to bring the film cameras back with me. But so much of the great historical places here have been leveled by the big earthquake we just had. I suspect that much of the old Mao era places I wanted to photograph in the countryside are gone as well. Oh well; There will be others. Good luck at the races what race is it?