Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 24th, 2014, 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2006, 6:32 am 

I found this site while looking for jobs. It's a free list of writing jobs, updated almost every day.

http://writersrow.com/deborahng/freelancewritingjobs.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2006, 8:49 am 

Thanks.

Colleen

"Write the Truth." (Author's advice written in signed copy of Robert McKee's "Story.")

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 24th, 2006, 10:04 am 

newwriter wrote:
I found this site while looking for jobs. It's a free list of writing jobs, updated almost every day.

Gee, that might be the site of the person who used to post here as "debng".

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2006, 4:29 pm 

I stumbled on this site when I was cruising another writing forum, and I thought I'd share. This is for the poets out there:

http://www.uni.edu/~gotera/CraftOfPoetry/index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2006, 1:44 pm 

Two great new resources for you. If you are a bibliophile, you might find this site useful:
http://www.librarything.com

And this site updates the mastheads on hundreds of magazines:
http://www.mastheads.org/index.htm

Enjoy!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2006, 2:13 am 

DaveLevin wrote:
newwriter wrote:

Gee, that might be the site of the person who used to post here as "debng".

Dave

Yes it is Deb's site. I remember looking at it ages ago.

Deb - come back, we miss you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 9:52 am 

Just bumping it back up ...

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2006, 12:19 pm 

Did I ever post that I looked at Dan Poynter's most recent incarnations? The Self-Publishing Encyclopedia and it is just packed full of information.... even if you're not self-publishing. Just a little paperback, too..... I'm sure he'll update it regularly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 12:28 pm 

The following gives a good overview of the publishing trade.

New Self-Publisher’s FAQ
http://www.creativemindspress.com/newbiefaq.htm

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 6:47 am 

The following two resources are quoted from the thread "Grammar site".

Willow wrote:
Here's a grammar site for any of you who struggle the way I do with tenses, adverbs, etc. (Who can remember all that stuff from 5th grade?)

www.lousywriter.com (Bad name, good help on the site). ...What's a Gerund anyway?

denverd0n wrote:
Looks like a good site. Here's another one that is not strictly grammar, but addresses many commonly misused words and phrases in English... http://www.wsu.edu:8080/~brians/errors/ ... tml#errors

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2006, 10:00 am 

The following resource is quoted from the thread "anyone writing for radio?"

Piper wrote:
I've been thinking that a couple of topics I've been researching would "sound good" on National Public Radio programs, so instead of just sitting down and writing like I ought to do, I did some googling and discovered a really cool site designed to help people create a story (the whole production, not just the text) for radio. Two hours later...here I am, still not writing, but thrilled with new perspectives on writing. Really, this site is worth a visit just FOR the writing. It's transom.org, as in "over the transom." (Like you said, Charlie!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2006, 8:44 pm 
Hey, hey, I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I'll put it out there because it's important.

When I was in high school, and I went to an all-boys school for what we in the States call "classified" kids (if there is anyone here who is a teacher or school administrator, y'all know what i mean) and it was a really, really great place. That's actually what I wrote my book about although I have been toying with destroying all extant copies, even file shredding e-copies and starting over, as the manuscript was completed six years ago and it's no loinger what I want to say or how I want to say it....but anyway, what i was saying was...all my teachers there thought I was a really great writer and they were people I trusted and they kept saying, "you can do this for money, to earn a living..." and I didn't have faith in my own self...

See, here's the deal....you got to, like, like Frank Sinatra said you got to bring your own crank. Sometimes you got a beautiful four on the floor hotrod roadster but some damfool forgot the crank and you ain't goin' nowhere. So you got to bring your own.

That first article I wrote was riddled with errors and paid a whopping $65. I was high for weeks. See, once you've got that first one down, you start thinking, hey, maybe I can do this again. Then you do it again and you start thinking, "Well, once is a fluke, but twice?" It gets easier to believe that you can do it as you are doing it.

Also, the way to write is to sit down in front of the computer or with a pad or cocktail napkin or polaroid on the back or whatever and a writing implement and write a word. Then write another one. If they go together, write a third, and so on. If the first two don't go together trash one or both of them and try again. Do that 1500 times and you'll have an article. 25,000 times and you'll have a short story. 75,000 tiimes and you've got a book. No damned magic to it. I ain't sayin' the end result isn't magical, but the creation act...you got to keep your feet on the ground kind of...

Hope I don't piss anyone off with this.

I guess I have to say all that because if nobody had ever put it to me, I would never have bothered to buy a Brother word processor and have at it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2006, 8:51 pm 
Hey, hey, I don't know if this is useful to anyone, but I'll put it out there because it's important.

When I was in high school, and I went to an all-boys school for what we in the States call "classified" kids (if there is anyone here who is a teacher or school administrator, y'all know what i mean) and it was a really, really great place. That's actually what I wrote my book about although I have been toying with destroying all extant copies, even file shredding e-copies and starting over, as the manuscript was completed six years ago and it's no loinger what I want to say or how I want to say it....but anyway, what i was saying was...all my teachers there thought I was a really great writer and they were people I trusted and they kept saying, "you can do this for money, to earn a living..." and I didn't have faith in my own self...

See, here's the deal....you got to, like, like Frank Sinatra said you got to bring your own crank. Sometimes you got a beautiful four on the floor hotrod roadster but some damfool forgot the crank and you ain't goin' nowhere. So you got to bring your own.

That first article I wrote was riddled with errors and paid a whopping $65. I was high for weeks. See, once you've got that first one down, you start thinking, hey, maybe I can do this again. Then you do it again and you start thinking, "Well, once is a fluke, but twice?" It gets easier to believe that you can do it as you are doing it.

Also, the way to write is to sit down in front of the computer or with a pad or cocktail napkin or polaroid on the back or whatever and a writing implement and write a word. Then write another one. If they go together, write a third, and so on. If the first two don't go together trash one or both of them and try again. Do that 1500 times and you'll have an article. 25,000 times and you'll have a short story. 75,000 tiimes and you've got a book. No damned magic to it. I ain't sayin' the end result isn't magical, but the creation act...you got to keep your feet on the ground kind of...

Hope I don't piss anyone off with this.

I guess I have to say all that because if nobody had ever put it to me, I would never have bothered to buy a Brother word processor and have at it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 9:44 am 

Dave: don't be apologetic at all about what you wrote. It is all interesting. We are all writers here so everything about the process, how you came to it, how you found confidence in yourself, etc. is very important. And yes, the first article, it really gives you confidence in yourself, doesn't it. And when people tell you that you can write, that's great. Because not everyone can. Just doing it, like so many things in life, is very important. The place by the ocean where you are now sounds lovely. Maybe you should write about that. One of the most interesting times I ever had as a writer was by the ocean. I was looking for some peace and tranquility and living in Washington state at the time. Some writers' groups told me of places to go to by the ocean, and I found one that was just lovely -- they had cabins looking out over the sea. It was not too far from the Rain Forest in WA state. Very peaceful and tranquil although the roar of the ocean was something (and this was just before the tsunami hit so the whole Pacific was in a kind of pre-turmoil). I was working on a fiction piece at the time (an idea for a novel), and I taped pieces of it all over the walls. I would wake up with a roaring fire and the outlines of the novel on the walls. (I stole that idea from Faulkner -- I read somewhere that that was how he wrote, or maybe he scribbled things on the walls. I can't remember. ; I'm no Faulkner and despite hanging out in Willow's bar from time to time, nursing my bourbon on the rocks, cannot imbibe nearly the quantities of alcohol he did).

Anyway, I think it's good that you've joined the forum and don't feel awkward about anything you write -- we're all here to support each other.

Colleen

"Write the Truth." (Author's advice written in signed copy of Robert McKee's "Story.")

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2006, 1:50 pm 

I've fallen in love with this site. It's a fabulous resource for poetry and fiction writers.

http:///www.duotrope.com

Enjoy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next