Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 20th, 2014, 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 417  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 10:43 am 

[quote="daoine"]Well, just as I'm starting to think "Hey this driving thing is okay. It's not scary. I can do this..." a woman decides to do a u-turn across the intersection at the exact moment that I come zipping along with my green arrow telling me I have right of way to turn left.
{/quote]

Daoine, my newspaper column tomorrow is about intersections---I'll send you a link! It's called "Drivers Make Own Rules at Intersections", or something along that line(they always change my titles :lol: )

Glad you're okay, and that you were able to act calm.

Willow, I'm ordering Zubby a beer. I'm a rose nut---I would have stood outside over my roses, shielding them from the tornado!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 1:13 pm 

To all another update: My wife and I have had several good conversations lately. Mostly at 3 in the morning. I work on the road M-TH so we don't get alot of face time, but the phone conversations have been good. However, I came home this past weekend, to find that there are issues that she won't talk about. Things that happen when I am not around that indicate she is not being totally open and honset with me. It has given me reason to pause, as I thought she was being honest through our earlier phone discussions. I must say I am a bit perplexed. And to those of you interested, I do not beleive that I will ever tell her that I was attracted to another. I am of the belief that she does not need to face that pain. What good could come from it? Anyway, the talking has been good, just not sure...I guess it all comes down to trust and we have very little of that in our relationship.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Ben Franklin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 1:26 pm 

Keep talking. Disclosure takes time and it always takes a foundation. Communication builds the foundation. Tell her you want to go deeper in the talking and see what happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 1:32 pm 

That's where I am now...wanting to go deeper. I got the cold shoulder. She said she was offended and marched off. When I later questioned that she wanted me to be honest and talk to her, I mentioned that needs to go both ways...but nothing, she just shut up. I am not really sure how to get beyond this point.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. (Ben Franklin)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 4:56 pm 

Ooo, probably the wrong word. Try "deeper emotional intimacy." That should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 5:55 pm 

Just had another fight with my 15-year-old son. Pour me a tall, icy cold rum and coke, Willow. By the way, when do teenagers become human again?? I keep telling myself, This, too, shall pass... This, too, shall pass... This, too, shall pass....

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 7:04 pm 

Hmmmm ... how 'bout a long island ice tea. It's a pretty hot day here today.

zubbycat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 8:35 pm 

Zubby you wil be smashed on a Long Island Ice Tea--just one--then you are cut off!

jlg: HA! When do teenagers become human again...ah yes...I remember a lecture a psychiatrist gave once. He said, "Do not call me for an appt because you have a teenager that is crazy. Let me save you the time and $$. Yes, if you have a teenager they are temporarily insane. Yes, they act schiztophrenic even if they probably aren't. Yes, when they are 25 they won't act this way. Yes, most everyone's teens act this way. No, it's nothing you did. Now save your $$ and get out of my office."

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 8:42 pm 

Well, I ended the argument by walking out of the room and saying nothing. The trouble with this teenager is that he has lots of Attitude, with a capital "A," and when you combine that with his lousy behavior, he becomes another three-letter-word-that-starts-with-A! Anyway, after I gave him the cold shoulder (I started vacuuming-- Who knows why, but I got my floor clean!), he came out of his lair and did exactly what I had asked him to do earlier with no complaint. Go figure.

Thanks for the advice, Willow. I will continue to repeat my mantra in times of stress: This, too, shall pass... The drink helped, too. Zubs, the last time I had Long Island iced tea they had to pick me up off the floor. That stuff can be potent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 8:59 pm 

Reverse psychology works sometimes too jlg. But the operative word is 'sometimes.' Nothing works all the time with them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 10:44 pm 

jlgwriter wrote:
Well, I ended the argument by walking out of the room and saying nothing....

jlg, while he's a teen he will continue to be unreasonable. Mine is 21 and is just barely starting to make sense.

But mine is also headed to the war zone....so look at your precious son the next time he acts like a you-know-what, think of mine, and give him a hug. (now THAT's reverse psychology!) At least he's not spending the next year in Mortarville!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 11:27 pm 

TDavis! That must be so hard. We'll keep him in our prayers.

zubbycat

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 11:55 pm 

TDavis wrote:
Daoine, my newspaper column tomorrow is about intersections---I'll send you a link! It's called "Drivers Make Own Rules at Intersections", or something along that line(they always change my titles :lol: )

Cool. Thanks T.

I got right back in the car today and drove that same intersection without any problems. Yay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2005, 1:17 am 

Quote:

jlg, while he's a teen he will continue to be unreasonable. Mine is 21 and is just barely starting to make sense.

But mine is also headed to the war zone....so look at your precious son the next time he acts like a you-know-what, think of mine, and give him a hug. (now THAT's reverse psychology!) At least he's not spending the next year in Mortarville!

Wow, that's scary. Actually, that's my greatest fear for my son. He has ADHD, among his other issues, and the thought of someone who is so scattered being in the middle of a war zone is terrifying. I'll keep your son in my thoughts and prayers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2005, 2:23 am 

TDavis wrote:
Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with your son and your family. And thanks for putting us back in perspective.

http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 417  Next