Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 23rd, 2014, 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: moved without a job?
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2005, 3:41 pm 

Have you ever made a move -- a relocation to another city or
state -- without a job? I'd like to hear your story for an ebook
for my site and also a book I'm working on long-term. Thank you!
My site is http://www.movinglady.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2005, 4:18 pm 

we moved countries without a job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2005, 8:40 pm 
Hmmm. Might be interesting to find some military members. We build an entire career in the military then fall out like dead fish into civilian life. When I leave, I will be going from Iceland to the states with no job. Argh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2005, 10:20 pm 

I did it with 3 kids, 6 horses, 4 dogs, numerous cats, and NOOOOOO job. I moved 450 miles.

Post subject: Moving without a job
PostPosted: May 11th, 2005, 2:29 pm 

Five and a half years ago I moved cross-country, from the Washington, DC, area, where I'd lived most of my life and was extremely involved in the community, to San Diego, without a job or place to live, though my husband had the job he still has. I never found anyone willing to hire me for a real paycheck -- though lots of requests to volunteer since I have "such great skills" --, which is why I'm now freelancing and doing a lot of volunteer work for other organizations. We're now deeply entrenched in our community and view the move as a great decision, though very complex at the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2005, 6:16 pm 

Two years ago I moved from Los Angeles back to the Bay Area for 3 weeks, then to Hawaii for a month, then back to Sacramento, where I am now. I had (some) savings but no job, and no idea what I was going to do. Lucky for me a brand new magazine fell into my lap a few months after moving in, so the temp work didn't have to last long...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2005, 9:00 pm 

Over the past eight years I've relocated to four different countries on three different continents, all without a job to go to (once without even a home to go to or friends to bunk down with). I've been lucky in that I've always been able to find a job within a week or two. In one move I supported my husband for two months before he was able to find work.

Post subject: Movin' Mama
PostPosted: May 26th, 2005, 12:28 pm 

I moved from Louisiana to Texas when I was 5 months pregnant-- with no job. On another occasion, I moved from Texas to Connecticut with no job. I ended up getting a job after I got there. I then moved from New London, Connecticut BACK to Texas, again pregnant with no job. Somehow, it always works out! PersistentGerl@hotmail.com

Post subject: move without a job
PostPosted: May 26th, 2005, 12:53 pm 

Hi Cathy,

My wife and I moved from Reno Nevada to Las Vegas without jobs. We also had to make travel arrangements for our two dogs, five cats, two ferrets and five birds. Prior to relocating though, we visited Vegas. We also scoped out the job market and had an Idea where we were going to apply before we moved. However, no one would interview us until we were actually living in Vegas.

The next problem was money. We had $12,000.00 set aside to make the move. This realy isn't as much as it sounds once you factor in deposits and rental of the moving van and a new home.

We had also scoped out the housing market before we moved. We were able to located a mobile home park that rented to pet owners.

The advanced work paid off. We leased a mobile home in that park before we left Reno. We then made the big move. Three weeks later, we both had jobs.

I should also note that this was the scariest adventure my wife had ever undertaken. She is used to having a job then moving. Six years later though, we own a large home in a rual area outside of Vegas and make a comfortable living.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2005, 7:38 pm 

When we moved from FL to the mountains of NC, I closed my practice and my husband closed his own building contracting business and we moved with no jobs and had no jobs for a year! It was an adventure and we look back on it as the best time in all our years together.

PostPosted: June 8th, 2005, 11:53 am 

Wellll. let me rephrase that. I'm a freelancer, *that's* my job... but I moved countries and have no contacts in my new city, no network and no office mates to depend on for advice about how to settle in. I moved because my husband took a new job.

However, I've launched a writer's group, joined a women's club and am creating a group within the club for younger members, joined a monthly supper club... and am getting out there. I'm doing a better job of networking and creating a social group than my husband who's at the office daily with colleagues....

I'd be happy to tell you more: Audrey AT cultureofmodeling.com