Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 25th, 2014, 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 7th, 2004, 3:25 am 

This may be old news to you guys, but I've seen threads on other boards relating to the ST Literary Agency.
Last year I was going to sign with them but decided to do a little research on my own after reading their contract sent by email.
They wanted 129 dollars to set up a web page that really looked bad, along with submission fees of 15 dollars a copy.
Surfing other forums, I found they have never sold a manuscript to a legitimate publisher, and it's said on other boards that they charge for submissions they don't make.
I then made contact with another writer, and he told me to use google and type in "robert fletcher byteaudio". I did and what I found was unsettling to say the least.
Mr. Robert Fletcher is the supposed owner of ST Literary, and I found in a PDF file that he had been charged with selling unregistered securities in Washington state. That's a fancy term for fraud by the way.
I then found that ST is affiliated with Rapid Publishing, the company they wanted me to send 129 dollars to in the contract.
Looking further I found that Rapid Publishing is owned by Robert Fletcher and another guy named Paul Anderson.
Other people have called ST Literary a scam and its owner a criminal. I'm not going to go that far, but it sure looks suspicious and I'm glad I didn't sign with them.
The facts speak for themselves. In seven years of operation they have yet to sell one manuscript, and evidently take in millions of dollars per year.
No legitimate agent charges money to represent an author. Agents make their money by selling manuscripts to publishers. ST Literary has never sold one. They are either fools who don't know what they're doing, or they are a scam.
Decide for yourself.
Lastly, I suggest that any writer interested in signing with them visit the bewares board, writers.net, P&E and others. The money you save could be your own.

Post subject: ST Literary
PostPosted: June 9th, 2004, 9:29 pm 

I came soooo close to signing with this company. But by computer 'crashed' & the time spent repairing & getting my computer back up and running gave me the necessary time I needed to really look closely at this company.
No - No - No- No!!
Don't sign with them. This is a scam & a rip-off!
Thank you, God, for my computer crashing!!
(I didn't lose any data - did backups regularly!)

Post subject: ST
PostPosted: July 9th, 2004, 5:49 am 

I was considering signing with S.T. Literary Agency as well, but when I heard that they charge to get the process underway, my bullsh-t radar went up and I did some digging.

NO legitimate literary agency asks for money up front; any expenses go into a client account that the agency creates for you, to be paid off when your project sells.

Level I. After my reluctance to sign, I got a couple of emails from ST trying to explain in a logical fashion that to run a business in today's market, it is unreasonable to expect a company to do it all for you. Don't be fooled by this desperate attempt. NO fees are charged by a real company, least of all to put your information into their computer database.

Level II. Testimonials are supplied and names are given to confirm the company's legitimacy, which is a "reluctant step" because they allegedly lose clients because of persistant researchers. Again, that radar popped up. If you have good clients that are happy with your services, wouldn't these people be an excellent resource to draw more clients to you? And wouldn't these signed clients understand the importance of researching a literary agent? The writer could even draft a standard letter of their experiences with the agency and use that cookie-cutter approach for incoming emails. Logic follows that if they can write a book, they can write an email--and even set up a separate free email account specifically for inquiries. I didn't even bother doing follow-up research with the names; the bullsh-t radar kicked in when I found no praise on a writer's web page or in an interview or posted somewhere else on the 'net, by ANYONE.

I have no idea what Level III of their wooing technique may involve. But I'm very glad that my project is already copyrighted and under the independent publisher's cloak of protection so that nothing happens to it.

Now here's what REALLY gets me. I sent ST a completed, already-published manuscript (which cost me $150 through an independent publisher--less than they're asking just to put my name in their system). I want to get greater exposure for this book; it is not my first, by the way, so I'm not here to take the offensive stance of a first-timer. The book is already in print, and it's on the 'net for sale with big-name book companies and a few major stores. I've even got extra copies that I could mail to ST to send out--so there'd be almost no expense on their part. All they have to do is represent, but apparently they can't even handle a project that's given to them on a silver platter.

If ANYONE can find any evidence to the contrary out there on the 'net, I'll be glad to listen. Meanwhile, I'm listening to my radar.

(Incidentally, I wouldn't call this a "negative" experience--yea, I read the sticky at the top of this list!--just a suspicious one. By no means were their emails rude or insulting or condescending, nor were they persistent or overly pushy.)

Post subject: ST LITERARY AGENCY
PostPosted: August 13th, 2004, 6:04 pm 

In response to the blurbs I've been reading about ST Literary Agency, I also believe them to be frauds when it comes to agents. I am also one of those who got a contract (how many do they accept, thousands?) Just minutes prior to mailing it, my journalism background kicked in and told me to at least investigate them.
I'm so glad I did. I couldn't believe all of the information on the web about good old Robert Fletcher's past. Byteaudio..Sydra.
After trying several times to get an actual human voice there, I did. First I asked her how many books she'd sold and she told me two. Two books in two years..way to go ST. I understand how time consuming it is for agents...but get this...they were also at one time, Sydra, which was an agency and I wonder why they couldn't utilize some of the publishers they'd used in the past
I asked her more questions and she told me to email her any questions I had and she'd respond. She did...and it was all so bogus.
So, in light of that..beware of them. I tore my contract up..wrote them an email and am now going to see if they really are members of the Better Business Bureau in Boca Raton
:twisted: :twisted:

Post subject: Ugh!
PostPosted: August 16th, 2004, 3:26 am 

I too was offered a contract by ST after a MONTH of correspondence with them. As much as it breaks my heart, I won't be signing the contract. I think what got my attention (surprisingly) was the fortune I got out of my cookie at my favorite chinese/japanese/mongolian all you can eat grill. It said:

ADVICE, WHEN MOST NEEDED, IS LEAST HEEDED

I listened, I read, and I decided. What would be even more heartbreaking would to allow these people (ST Lit) to rob me blind, and to never see my book published.

::sigh:: Back to the drawing board!

Can anyone recommend me to their agent? ::sweet puppy face::

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2005, 6:38 pm 

WOW, this forum is great.

I just received a promising letter from ST Literary Agency. All it took was coming here and doing a search and finding all this.

I wonder why Writer's Digest still lets them advertise for writers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2005, 11:42 am 

I wonder why Writer's Digest still lets them advertise for writers?

Because Writer's Digest wants the ad revenue. Every single agent who advertises in WD is a scammer. The contests are bogus also--they're all for vanity anthologizers like Poetry.com.

Successful agents don't need to advertise--they get more than enough submissions by word of mouth and listings in writers' guides like Writer's Market. An agent who advertises is looking for your money, not your manuscript.

- Victoria

Post subject: Dope on ST Literary
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2005, 12:35 pm 

Amen to that, Victoria!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 9:30 am 

Okay, I wrote to ST Literary Agency, and asked them to respond to the charges made on this thread. Below is their response. Of course they didn't answer my questions about how many books they have sold, etc.

Donna,
The negative comments on the web are from 1) people we didn't accept, 2) people we fired, 3) people that don't understand the real ins and outs of running a Literary Agency that will even work with brand new, unpublished authors. We have sales, we defray our costs, we give you personal and timely communications (like this one).

Professionals see through the innuendo and misinformation. Our goal is to have relationships with writers that understand this is a business.

Here's our lawyers reply:

Re:Our Client: Robert Fletcher
Our File # : 264057

Dear Mr. Spencer:

Please be advised that the Law Offices of Glantz & Glantz, P.A., represents Robert Fletcher, President of ST Literary Agency, Inc. The firm is writing on Mr. Fletcher's behalf with regard to defamatory statements about our client published by your company on the Writers Net Website.

Mr. Fletcher advises that Writers Net has begun publishing a series of e-mails on the website that make untrue and derogatory statements about him and his literary agency business. These statements include, but are not limited to, untruths such as that he was convicted of a criminal offense related to fraud on elderly investors, and that ST Literary Agency was "created to steal money from people across the globe." Other statements accuse Mr. Fletcher of being a "wanton perjurer," characterize his business as a "con game," and call his prior businesses a complete con.

These statements, and others, have adversely affected the business of ST Literary Agency, Inc. and include damage to the company's reputation. The statements also adversely affect Mr. Fletcher's personal reputation in the literary agent business and in the business community in general.

We have advised Mr. Fletcher that Net Concepts, as owner of the Writers Net Website and publisher of these defamatory statements, is liable for these statements in the form of injunctive relief and money damages, under applicable laws.

Accordingly, demand is herby made that Net Concepts and Writers Net immediately cease and desist and further derogatory statements about Mr.
Fletcher, and about ST Literary Agency. Demand is also herby made for a public retraction and apology for these statements.

Your failure to respond as demanded herein shall be considered as an intention on your part to refuse to amicably resolve this dispute between you and Mr. Fletcher and ST Literary Agency. You will therefore leave us with no choice but to advise our client concerning the avenues available under Florida and other applicable laws to enjoin publication of defamatory statements and recover damages.

PLEASE GOVERN YOURSELVES ACCORDINGLY

Very truly yours,

LAW OFFICES OF GLANTZ & GLANTZ, P.A.
NANCY BERGER, ESQ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 12:34 pm 

*snort*

My cat barks better.

Why is it they only feel the need to whine and threaten AFTER someone contacts them about whats been said? If they were telling the truth, they'd be scouring the web for these 'lies' and pouncing on anything publishing them with solid proof to the contrary.

Post subject: ST Illiterary
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 1:27 pm 

What's more, this "lawer" letter is years old. Check out WN for the whole rigmarole. IIRC, James Macdonald did one of his line-by-line rebuttals to it, but I forget if it's on WN or AW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 2:38 pm 

Someone just sent me a copy of the actual lawsuit and related orders against Mr. Fletcher.

It's too long to post here , but I can send a copy to anyone who is interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 6:15 pm 

One small comment from this old guy.
All authors have to do research to ensure their writing is perfect, especially non-fiction.
It makes sense to do even more research on the people you are submitting your work to.
I have no opinion on the legitamacy of the thoughts expressed here as I would hate to be charged with libel. However, any agent or publisher I think would be one I might submit to would be researched by me to the best of my ability.
As I have nothing for the firm involved I will not dig into their activities, or lack of them, but the old caveate, buyer beware, is high on my list.
cheers,
QBall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 10:15 pm 

Okay, I wrote to ST Literary Agency, and asked them to respond to the charges made on this thread.

They send this exact same response to everyone who asks this question.

And no, I have not been 1) rejected by ST, 2) fired by ST, and yes, I understand very well 3) the ins and outs of running a literary agency.

Professionals do see through the innuendo and misinformation.

- Victoria

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 11:38 pm 

Gosh, I feel so left out because P&E wasn't mentioned by ST or their lawyers.

Just for the record, I haven't been rejected by ST, I haven't been fired by them since I never worked for them, and I do believe that I understand more about the publishing industry than Mr. Fletcher and ST.