Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 24th, 2014, 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2005, 10:35 pm 

Ah..How'd I miss this?

Quote:
As to JK, what a joke.
Joanne said that she was going to use her as our MI writer and that JK Rossi changed her e-mail address and never got back into contact with Joanne. Joanne had no phone number and therefore no way of contacting her or she would have called her to finalize it. Further, she is apparently unable to understand the simple pay scale clearly defined for our writers and misinterpreted the once a year article pay scale of $75 as meaning that she would be compensated that for every article, when that pay scale is $67 per article.

Lol...Who's a joke? I think you need to check your editor's honesty. Joanne knew
my address.

Quote:
I am taking her at her word.

Really? Explain this.

Here's her e-mail:

In a message dated 12/17/2004 9:41:39 AM Eastern Standard Time, jo@tcoop.com writes:

Hi *****,

After looking back on our correspondences I see where and why we didn't connect.
I totally did not use your new e-mail addresses that you sent me. I was out of town and using sqweb mail instead of my regular account.
I thought I was replying to you and you may have never gotten anything. And I kept e-mailing you asking if you were still doing the story and that is why I never heard back.

Also - you are right. I thought I replied to you about the "contract" issue but it looks like I did not - and I am sorry about that. We don't do any sort of contract and as you can see, we have a problem with more than two names.

Sorry for the mix-up.

Joanne

Quote:
A high % of freelance writers are flakes, making commitments and then backing out.

Backing out of writing an article? We do that because we can. And looks to me
that I made the right choice. As far freelancers being flakes...You want to see
a real one? Look in the mirror, babe.

Quote:
As to us not having contracts with our writers, this is the first that I've ever heard of any of our writers wanting one.

Wrong! A contract guarantees a writer's pay. I will not write without one. I have
only had two publications not want to provide one and they both turned out to
be not up to par -- yours is one of them.

You're pathetic coming here, trying to suck up and weasel your way out of this.
The only reason you're agreeing to cooperate with Donna is because she
brought this public. You can't let your magazine look bad to any potential
writers, that you're going to be very desperate for in the near future.

You sound like a very angry, disturbed man. You might want to seek some help.

JK

p.s....

Joanne,

Seems you're not what I thought you were. I started to feel sympathy for you, thinking
that you were just caught in the middle. I take my apology back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 12:34 am 

Mr. Hadley,

Of course, writers are "flakes". That's part of the talent we learn to cultivate. It helps us look at things from a different point of view, gives us the inspiration to see the world as others may not. It's what makes our stories different. That 'different' approach, that freshness, is purportedly what editors are looking for in both stories and in writers.

However, that does not make us stupid. There are millions of people who sign contracts before they begin work, labourers, white collar workers, sports figures, entertainment personalities. Why shouldn't writers sign a contract? It keeps events like this from occurring, among other things. It ensures that companies get what they paid for and workers get what they've earned.

The other thing that you might want to consider is the fact that, in our business of writing, the only thing that sets us apart from each other is our name, talent and craftsmanship aside. To refuse to recognize that is tantamount to refusing to recognize us as people. I can appreciate that some people might go overboard on it, but you'll find that trait in any number of industries where ego and self-confidence are confused. Good writers don't make that mistake. "Daniel Brown" may not have made it as far past the editing process as "Dan Brown" did and "Marion Bradley" may have faded into the woodwork of the library if she hadn't insisted on being called "Marion Zimmer Bradley". All names are important to those who wear them.

Namecalling and personal attacks never won an argument and diplomacy isn't worth a pin unless both sides win. That's something I learned while the Viet Nam War was going on. It's a pity you weren't in my English class then.

Cheryl-Ann Gray

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 2:34 pm 

I really just want this to end, but now Mr. Hadley has posted that I write like a "car crash" and "a 4th grader". Both of these scenarios may be true, but I have had steady work as a freelancer for 15 years. So, apparently, my editors like car crashes.

Instead of throwing stones about my writing or this publication, the issue is the byline. Writers like their name. It IS who we are. When a reader's only connection to the writer is their byline, then it needs to stay consistent. When a writer is trying to find work, they cannot send copies of their published clips with different bylines. Consistency is the key. Are we ego maniacs? Not exactly. Think about all the great authors that you like to read. Do you know what they look like? Probably not. Could you pick John Grisham, or JK Rowling out of a crowd? I couldn't. But I sure know their name, which at one time was just their BYLINE.

This is a simple matter. The nasty emails and insulting comments turned it into an ugly matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 3:05 pm 

Debbie,
Due to my New Year's resolution, I will not bring up Midwest Foodservice News again. However, I will post and let everyone know if and when they pay me and if and when they send me a copy of my articles with my correct name as the byline (which as you mentioned was the original issue in all this)

I did want to say that you can't be all that bad of a writer as I heard you just won an award. I think it was through the Kentucky Associated Press? Whoever it was, I remember thinking that they do know a little more about writing quality compared to nameless others who may have posted negative comments about your writing abilities....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm 

I disagree that Midwest's editors will ever have a shortage of writers, even if potential writers read this thread. There are far too many people calling themselves writers who will work for free. We see them post on this forum all the time.

The only place anyone can impact this company is with their advertisers. That's what pays their bills. The publication's owner has certainly given us all food for thought with his unprofessional words and name calling and hopefully some of his advertisers will realize their $$ would be better spent elsewhere. There are many nice people running industry magazines, there's little reason to give money to someone who is not particularly nice to other people and by whose association may reflect negatively on the advertisers own companies.

I worked as a special advertising feature's writer for many years, for both the newspaper and industry magazines. I am often called upon to write stories for Restaurant Month and Heart Month and Junes Brides features and Christmas Cooking Guides, and many features for particular stores and wholesalers individually (I've had at least 50 articles pertaining to the food services industry published) and I have made a copy of all of the advertisers listed on Midwest's website. When I'm looking for copy, quotes and information I will abosolutely avoid all of the companies associated with Midwest, ensuring the advertiserss competition will get good plugs in my future articles. I can't change that man's behaviour, I can't demand an apology, but I can choose who I work with and promote and from now on, he and his friends are definitely off my Christams card list.

Cathi

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 6:37 pm 

As a new freelancer, I read with interest the postings regarding bylines. (As an aside, I would say that all writers should avoid this publication. I have added it to my "avoid" list. The power of word, and now the internet, is strong. It may take awhile, but if this magazine wishes to use only writers who will work for free or ones who will put up with the disrespect I read in the postings, then they will have few articles to print. The advertisers will also find the quality lacking and chose other publications for their ads. Anyone who insults a person, rather than sticking to the issues, is not a professional. Still wondering about the power of words? I'd recommend a chat with the CEO of Denny's!)

The issue of a byline for a woman who selects to use hyphenated names is an important one. I recently moved to the Midwest from southern California and I can honestly say that the amount of sexism and racism here is the worst that I have seen. Please don't send emails, I am not saying EVERYONE is sexist or racist in the Midwest, but there is a high level in the area. We can debate whether the reasons are lack of education, experience, upbringing, or isolation from life experiences, it really doesn't matter. It is unacceptable for a magazine to insist on forcing a writer to use a name, other than their legal name. Magazines can force a writer to use their legal name, in place of pen name, but not the other way around. The writer can also withdraw the articles. (Just me, but I wouldn't want my articles printed in a magazine run by such a person. A nasty lesson, but I would put it down as a learning experience. Let them use the free stuff they have. I am impressed that the female editor was so professional in handling this issue.) I learned a valuable lesson from an elderly woman who experienced discrimination as a European Jew during the Nazi period. She told me everyone has the responsibility to point out racism and sexism. If you don't comment, then it is allowed to grow unchecked.

I am also amazed with the statement that the magazine has never used legal contracts. As writers, we should have a contract signed when any publication accepts our writing. I have worked for major publishers who have their own contracts, and that story is for another warning thread. Even online keyword sites, who take volumes of work, have a contract that is signed online. The Writer's Union is a great source for contracts. The Union does charge a yearly fee, but it is a wonderful resource for contracts and legal advice. They will also send letters to publishers when they have steped out of line. I have learned these things the hard way. Burned once, I searched to find out what I needed to do to protect myself. If a magazine won't sign a contract and doesn't have their own forms, then they are not professional. A contractless agreement can lead to all kind of potential problems, especially if the publisher and/or editor is not educated in what is socially, ethically or legally acceptable.

Sometimes, when someone wrongs you in a hurtful way, you want to reach out and slap them upside the head. Most times, it is a waste of time. If they were smart enough to realize they were wrong (or there wasn't some other issue going on), it would have happened by the second time they were confronted an angry person over the same issue. The fact that the person continues to post insults means it is a waste your time. They are never going to get it. I would contact the writers union and see what they might suggest. There is safety in professional numbers. Thank you for your post!

(If anyone cares; I have finished my work for the day, like reading the posts here, and it only took me two minutes to put this together! I am not a proofreader, so sorry if there are errors! Thanks, too, for letting me get my yayas out about discrimination and sexism. I have had it with men calling me "Missy," and telling me they need to speak to my husband before coming out to bid on construction work on my home. I feel I have moved to Planet 1925!!)

A Newbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 7:07 pm 

I liked your post, Newbie. Where did you move to? I find metro Detroit is non-racist and non-sexist. Do you live in a small town in Ohio?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 7:25 pm 

[/quote] Do you live in a small town in Ohio?[/quote]
I moved to a strange place called Fort Wayne. It claims to be the second largest city in the state of Indiana, but the atmosphere is so retro-sexist that I think they are big fibbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 7:27 pm 

Fort Wayne probably would be a huge change from California. I can't say I've been there but I can imagine it.

Once you get used to the area and meet some like minded people it will be fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 6th, 2005, 10:37 pm 

Unbelievable thread. I hesitate to say more.

Anyway, Wordsmith, Fort Wayne would be culture shock for me, and I grew up in the Midwest. But I live in Chicago, which, contrary to the belief of people who've not been here, is not just a big Fort Wayne. So take heart: You're only a couple of hours away from civilization and the Blue States. Find Amtrak or get on Interstate 90 and come visit once in a while.

Post subject: Midwest Foodservice News
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 12:13 am 

I have been following with interest these exchanges about Keith Hadley's treatment of his writers. I don't know the man personally, but I have written - briefly - for his magazine, and I do know Joanne Cooper and another former writer.

I'm not about to make assumptions about anyone's character, or comment on what's been said about Mr. Hadley and his publication. I do intend, however, to defend Joanne and to point out what I know to be some glaring inaccuracies in Mr. Hadley's self-serving postings. For one thing, "car crash" is certainly not a term used by Joanne, especially when it comes to describing articles written for the magazine. I know that Mr. Hadley frequently uses that "descriptive" terminology; those words are his and his alone, no matter how he tries to attribute them to Joanne.

Further, Joanne does not handle "all of the hiring and firing of the writers" Yes, she has placed the ads seeking new writers (to replace those fired by Mr. Hadley), but he has the last word on whom to hire. Mr. Hadley also decides whom to fire, and when, often over Joanne's objections. I know from personal experience that Mr. Hadley will fire a writer on whatever whim strikes him at a particular moment, and Joanne's input, especially if she seeks to dissuade him from getting rid of a writer, is neither solicited nor considered.

I'd like to ask that people who wish to be treated professionally should be just as professional in return. Please refrain from casually throwing out personal comments about Joanne on this widely-read message board. She too is a professional, and she's obviously caught between a rock and a hard place. She doesn't make policy, and she's doing the best she can to keep the writers happy within the difficult constraints set up by Mr. Hadley. Considering the source of the comments attributed to her, I wouldn't put too much stock in Mr. Hadley's attempts to deflect criticism from himself and his policies.

The word is out, and I'm not sure what more can be achieved by continuing this thread. It seems we're just preaching to the choir. If anyone still feels wronged or upset about Mr. Hadley's actions or his policies, perhaps, as Ms. Gundler-Krieg suggested, a carefully drafted letter to his advertisers about his unprofessional conduct toward his writers would be the best way to hit him where it hurts.

Miles Twaddell
Kennett Square, PA

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 9:26 am 

I agree 100% that Joanne is in a tough spot, and that she was very kind and professional in my dealings with her.

I also agree 100% that from what I've experienced, Joanne is not the one making all of the decisions, despite what was posted to the contrary.

I have apologized to Joanne for any harm this thread may have caused her. However, the majority of the people who have read the postings have praised the way she has handled the situation.

In my opinion, she will be better for all this in some way, whether her working conditions improve or whether it helps her be motivated to look elsewhere for employment. What if someone reading this thread admires her character, and she ends up getting a new job because of the publicity?

As far as continuing the thread, I agree that the word is now out. We all want to end it, but you can't blame Debbie and JK Rossi for responding when their own reputation was attacked. I would also enjoy to hear any fresh "takes" on the name issue.

Yes, it got ugly, as it always does when a wrong is confronted. However, as one writer said, if this kind of stuff is unchecked, it continues, and it's our duty to stand up for what's right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 8th, 2005, 2:22 pm 

I agree and never thought for a moment Johanne was anything more than professional and sincere. My sympathies are with her for having to work with that man, since the way he "spoke" to her also was unacceptable by general society. He obviously doesn't respect her, either.

I think the reason the thread continues to grow and be a hot spot with writers is that the magazine owner himself made the insulting attacks on all writers in general - not just his own staff and freelancers. Saying "most writers are flakes" and other comments regarding our inability to hold a "real" job was certainly crossing any line, most especially on a public forum.

A man who depends so much on freelancers would do well to learn better skills in dealing with them and all people, as far as I'm concerned. His disrespect for women and writers in general is obviously deeply rooted in his psyche, so I don't hold out much hope for change.

Cathi

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 12:41 pm 

I don't have any respect for a person who has such a low opinion of freelance writers and continues to use them in publication.

Dana

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2005, 3:23 pm 

i agree

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next