Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently August 31st, 2014, 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2004, 1:38 pm 

Welcome to all of you!

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2004, 3:04 pm 

Welcome, new members :D Francine, are you a member of SinC? They have at least one branch in Germany.
Cheers,
Jonette

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2004, 7:23 pm 

Welcome everyone!!

zubbycat :) (*waving wildly*)

Post subject: Writer
PostPosted: December 7th, 2004, 7:02 pm 

Hi!

I'm Elizabeth, and I'm a magazine writer. I have mostly focused on antiques and collectibles, but I'm in the process of broadening my base to include travel, decorating, and the environment.

I also do copywriting and, basically, writing of any kind. I write an advice column parody (Savannah Says) and also contribute satire to a spoof of women's magazines (Happy Woman Magazine).

Cheers!

Elizabeth
--
If it involves stitching words together, I do it.
http://www.elizabethhanes.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2004, 7:08 am 

Welcome aboard Elizabeth !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2004, 10:26 am 

I'm Steve. I have been writing , either on paper or in my head, as long as I can remember.

Thus far, the only subjects I feel either comfortable or qualified to write on are those pertaining to history or pop culture. Because there is plenty of competition in these areas, I am still a "frustrated" writer, but I stil hold tattered hope for greater success.

I have also completed (or at least started) several plays and screenplays, but I'm not even going to bother with getting them produced.

For a typical writer, isolated from his peers, and surrounded by people who can not begin to understand what he is trying to accomplish, being on this board is like taking a warm bath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2004, 1:06 pm 

Aye; what period of history are you most up on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2004, 7:41 pm 

Hi everyone. Welcome in.

Cheers,
aq.

P.S. Is anyone else struck by the similarity to: 'Hello. My name is X and I'm an alcoholic...'?

Coincidence? I think not. Addicts the lot of us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 12:16 am 

Krupp wrote:
Aye; what period of history are you most up on?

Antiquity, the post-1300's west, especially in America, post-Heian (mid-1100's) Japan.

I'm interested in all history.

Post subject: um....I'll bite.
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 1:00 am 

Hello, my name is Amy, and I'm an alcoholic. NO! NO! I mean, I'm a writer. A writer!

Actually, I'm a public school teacher. 7th grade Special Ed. So, my joke about being an alcoholic might be true.

No! It's not true.

But I might be driven to drink one of these days, if I don't finish my book. I'm writing a book for first-year-teachers, to act as a sort of practical guide for them during their first years. Yes, other books have been written on the subject, but to be quite honest, they are all crap. Mine, on the other hand, will not be such. It will rock the universe.

*sip*

So, there you go. Oh, and I live in Denver, and have a Yahoo group dedicated to helping out new teachers who need it: Those Who Can.

Now, back to writing my book. I suppose I need more than 3 chapters to call it "finished."

~Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 1:04 am 

Welcome, Amy! With a great sense of humour like that, you'll fit right in! There are some teacher who hang out here too.

zubbycat :D

Post subject: profile
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 8:55 pm 

Greetings, everyone.

I'm Kathy, and I'm a native Southern Californian. I've lived in Orange County (yes, thee "O.C.") every since I was four years old, except for a few years in Port Angeles, Wash.

I guess my writing "career" began in high school when my twin sister and I co-wrote TV scripts for current shows (none were ever produced; we never even submitted them). I started college as an English major -- no one ever mentioned journalism to me -- but I switched to biology when I got an "A" in that class and a "B" in English. I earned a B.A., then my M.S. in avian sciences (birds). During the five years (yes, it took me that long) earning my advanced degree, I married, conceived and delivered two girls, and failed to gain entrance to veterinarian school.

For my M.S., I opted to write a thesis vs. go before a panel for an oral exam. I guess you could say that the thesis was my first published work. (It was on the chromosomes of raptors.)

Well, I bumped around a bit after that, moving to Port Angeles with the hubby and kids, working at various jobs, including a stint as an assistant biologist with the fisheries department. Remember CETA anyone?

When I learned my hubby was chummy with a housemate, and even conceived a daughter with her, I decided to come home to So Cal without him. It was then that I found journalism and took some classes in it at a local junior college. I began my string of jobs as a writer during this period.

I have to say that my greatest love was reporting for a local newspaper -- I, too, was part of a small team to fill those spaces, WriterDave -- and being a "big fish in a small pool," so to speak. Unfortunately, this job ended, and I've been trying to break into the "big markets," without luck, ever since.

I think, though, I'm finished with that part of my life since I can't seem to get any response even though I apply for all applicable positions. Not even a nice "get lost" letter. No word; nada. It's like my resume and clips go into a black hole or something. I've never understood this attitude by newspaper editors. Also makes me wonder why I'd want to work for any of them, too.

So I'm going to concentrate on freelance writing, which I've been pursuing for the past three years full-time (since I left my last newspaper gig). I picked up a contributing writing slot with a statewide magazine -- it's so great! I don't have to come up with any ideas -- and am helping an Iranian write his autobiography. Yes, he pays me!

The best thing about freelancing -- not HAVING to get up in the morning at any specific time; not HAVING to write about anything I'm not interested in.

The worst thing -- Marketing myself and my skills; coming up with topics on which to write query letters; waiting.

Well, enough about me. I really enjoy the people who post here. I feel right at home; I'm crazy, too.

Kathy

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 10:39 pm 

Hi, I'm Josh, a writer...obviously.

I'm a young writer (18), I love writing prose and poetry, I'm more of a novelist than anything but I've found that it's easier to be a starving freelance writer with a little money than a starving novelist with no money. :wink:

I'm a devout Christian (Even a pastors kids!), martial artist, I love to walk/run, daydream, gaze at the stars and stay up until crazy hours of the night. I'm heavily into good Christian music, and even had the chance to interview my favorite band yesterday!

So, I'll go bug other people now, yes. :)

-Josh.

"When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: there will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly."

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2004, 10:48 pm 

Josh: Look up my friend Ric Blair--Celtic Christian Music, out of Nashville. Was a song writer for Amy Grant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2004, 12:17 am 

Welcome, Josh!! Glad to have you here! What band was that? My favourite band of all time hands down is "Third Day".

zubbycat :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 23  Next