Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 18th, 2014, 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 20th, 2004, 1:11 am 

I lived in a house once when i was pregnant with my second child that i beleived to be spooky. i would be drifting off to sleep and wake up feeling some sort of force feild holding me down, and my hair all over my body would stand on end and tingle. I would also be light-headed and taste/smell blood very stronly. After long struggles to move and see what was around me, I would be "released and nothing was there. It all started the first night we were there. Me and my husband had a house flood that forced us to live in our Pastor's vacant rental home. the first night there, we heard knocking at the back door and window like someone was trying to get in. Nothing was there. Among other things, we had extremely bad luck while living there. Nothing we attempted to do right would work. When we finally were able to move out, we had probably two incidents max occur where we woke up and felt like something was holding us down. when it released us, my husband would throw covers over his head in fear. Yes! a grown man! I never beleive in ghosts or paranormal before these incidents, but I do now. When i asked my Pastor about it, dhe insisted it was nothing and said it was some kind of breathing condition. Anyone experience this before? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2004, 4:52 pm 

Lesa,

Sounds like a condition known as sleep paralysis. If you go to Google or Dogpile and do a search on it, you'll find lots of different theories about what it is and why it happens.

I have experienced it myself, on a few occasions. I would wake up from a dream and be unable to move for a brief period of time. It was a very disturbing sensation!

-- Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2004, 10:41 pm 

I am familiar with sleep paralysis, but me and my husband have never experienced this before, and i think it is highly unlikely that both of us would experience it at the same time. I also failed to mention that on the same day we moved into the house, a close family member was buried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 1:36 pm 

Lesa,

For years, my brothers and I (except for the "normal" one) have had similar experiences. No blood smell (ick), but a weird ringing in our ears and a sensation of paralysis and fallling. Oddly enough, the incidents usually happen around the same time for each of us--even when we're not in the same house.

A few years ago, I saw a program about this and felt better in that I wasn't, you know, crazy. But it turns out that almost everyone who experiences this associate it with something bad. One brother thought it was aliens, one brother thought he was possessed, and I actually saw a little black "bogey man" go sliding across my room. (Eek.) It used to be that people called this experience "being hag-ridden", you know, like an evil old woman squatting on your chest.

The weirdest thing to me is that while science knows that what is probably happening is that your senses and brain are awake and dreaming while your body is paralyzed--it shuts down when we're deeply asleep and dreaming so that we don't wig out and break ourselves--, it can't explain why only some people experience it. My brothers (the weird ones) and I are all open to Other Things and the normal brother isn't...odd, hunh?

Wordchick

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2004, 9:59 am 

For some reason, every time I sleep on my back I have a nightmare bad enough to wake me up, and then I can't move, which is worse. I've tried to get my husband to wake me up, but he can't tell anything is going on while he's asleep.
Most of the time, I dream I'm in the same house. It looks different every time, but it feels familiar. It's MY house. When I have the nightmare, I'm in someone else's house, also different everytime, and there is a presence hostile to me. When I wake up, I'm still partly there, and I can't move until I'm completely together again.
I avoid my episodes by not sleeping on my back, avoiding stressful situations and violent movies before bed, and trying to figure out early on that it's a dream and I make the rules. During an actual episode, however, I can't do a thing. I think I may have dragged myself out of bed once, but I gave up trying to turn the doorknob and went back to bed, and by morning I couldn't tell if I'd actually gotten up or not.
I also don't remember feeling or smelling anything in particular during an episode, but it could be that I'm too panicked to notice. I do, however, feel and smell things in my dreams.
I hope this is some help. It's a horrible experience.