Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 24th, 2014, 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: names
PostPosted: September 15th, 2004, 12:50 pm 

My mom had always told me that I was named after a writer whose book she was reading when she was pregnant with me. Naturally, I found that to be quite prescient given my chosen vocation, so I went around telling people as I was growing up that I was named after a writer, some great literary figure, so I was simply fulfilling the destiny given to me when I was named. I don't know why I never bothered to ask what book it was, but there you have it.

It wasn't until I was in college that I thought to ask. Imagine my disappointment when she offhandedly answered, "Oh, it was some Lamaze book. I can't even remember the title."

Oh well. A writer's a writer! At least my mom won out over my dad, who wanted to name me Jennifer (again, it was 1972). I must've known at least two dozen Jennifers during my formative years. I've only met maybe five Marjories my entire life, and all but one were born in the '20s. I love the name -- so uncommon, but so pretty and sophisticated.

And yes, I still think it sounds quite literary!

Cheers,
Marjorie

Post subject: name
PostPosted: September 21st, 2004, 1:42 pm 

My son's name is Mackenzie. There are a couple of reasons we chose that name.
~For one his middle name is the same in a long succession of first born males of first born males... as in... his father has the same middle name as his father as his father and so on... Only the first born male child carries on the tradition. SO far it's worked out as the first born has always been male. The middle name is a maiden name of a very long ago grandmother in Scotland, sooooo.... to make a long story short.... we wanted a strong Scottish name to go with his middle and last name.

~Plus.... I always liked the name after watching Knots Landing and seeing Mac Mackenzie (memories???)

~Plus... my hubby thought the name MACK and his four letter last name sounded good on the back of the NFL jersey he's hoping my little boy will wear someday. (I know, I know, big testosterone groan)

We never did decide on a female name, we were tossed between Bethany & Meagan.
But Mackenzie (Mack) was it for the boy. When my red headed bundle finally made his entrance, he suited it perfectly. Still does to this day... (although he says he hates his name) Yah yah yah.... life isn't fair son... get used to it!

PostPosted: September 24th, 2004, 6:37 pm 

When I was 18 years old I was sitting by the pool and heard the most beautiful song. It was called Aubrey by the 70's group Bread. I cried like a baby. From that point I decided if I ever had a girl her name would be Aubrey, and it is and she loves to hear that song. It makes her feel very special.

And I have to say that my mother did the same thing as she named me after the song Misty by Johnny Mathis. Only thing is she added Starr for my middle name and now I sound like a stripper :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2004, 7:16 pm 

We have 2 sons. Our first is named Tyler William. I did not want to name him after myself, so we agreed to use my name as his middle name. After looking through a couple of baby name books and having a couple of names, I was at work one night listening to the radio when an Aerosmith tune came on. Aerosmith was one of my wife's favorite bands and I had taken her to see her first concert ever(at age 32) and it was Aerosmith. I started thinking of Aerosmith songs and the members in the group. Well, It came down to Tyler or Perry. 2 names we had not chosen from the books. My wife hated the name Perry(she was not a 90210 fan!) So, Tyler it was!!
Our second son's name is Dakota Samuel. At first we really wanted a girl, so we mostly had girl names. But when we found out it was a boy, we began looking for Irish names. We could never find one we really liked. But, I had always admired American Indians. Unfortunately, we are not American Indian, so, I felt using a truly Indian name was out of the question. For some reason I was looking at a book about the Lakota tribe and ,well, Dakota popped into my mind. I thought Dakota would be a cool name and my wife agreed. Samuel was my Grandfather's middle name, so we used that because I wouldn't use my Grandpa's first name, which was Clarence. he didn't even use it as he went by "Bud!." So, that's how my boys got their names.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2004, 12:21 am 

The reasons for naming my sons were fairly traditional, e.g. family name, could actually both agree on them etc. and although my name is fairly traditional it was very unsentimentally picked out of a hat. My parents could not agree on names and my mother wanted me to have a middle name and my father didn't so they agreed to draw the name out of a hat. My father's choice of name came out first so as he had gotten his wish then they drew a second name out so that I would have a middle name, as was my mother's wish. In the end my Dad's names were picked both times. My mother did give me some very good advice that I found worked well for me when picking our son's names, don't just imagine the name shortened or sound out how it will sound with the surname, also try out how it will sound as auntie or uncle name. Gives you another angle to think about!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2004, 3:29 am 

My uncle came up with the name Stephanie. My middle name is Jo after Jo in "Little Women", one of my mother's favorite books. I guess I was destined to be a writer from the start!
We named our son Benjamin because that is his father's middle name. Also, the episode of Friends where Ross' son is born was on TV when we were talking about names. His middle name is Josef, which goes back to one of my Czech ancestors that immigrated here in the 1800's. I originally wanted his middle name to be Alva like my father & grandfather, but we decided not to since neither one of them likes their middle name. I'm glad we named him Josef instead. It sounds alot better!
My advice to parents is to try out the name to see if it sounds good. Then try to imagine your child at age 80 with that name. Lastly, don't forget what I like to call the "playground factor". A kid named Chauncey (yes, that's a real name!) is gonna have alot more trouble at school than say, Tommy or Ryan.