Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently March 27th, 2017, 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2009, 2:50 pm 

I'm writing an article for a writers' magazine on "How to Get Your Book Reviewed." I'm interested in hearing from writers and publishers who have gone beyond the press release and found a strategy that gets books reviewed in newspapers and magazines, as well as online review sites and influential blogs. I'd like to hear not about publicity per se, but about actually getting books reviewed and the reviews published. I'd like to trade emails with writers who have had this experience and have tips to share. You'll get credit, of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2009, 11:23 pm 

When co-author Carmi Cosmos and I published "Out of Our Minds, Wild Stories for Wild Women" in 2005, we prepared a PR package that included our bios, photos and a copy of the book. We sent it with the book autographed to the "books" editors of our local newspapers. We got reviews in each of them. The PR releases we wrote had some "quoteable" lines in them which we later spotted in the reviews. But who cares, the objective was getting the name of the book along with our names as authors in front of the public.

Sarah Bates, Co-Author, "Out of Our Minds, Wild Stories by Wild Women" and author of
"Twenty-one Steps of Courage", a novel now in final draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2009, 4:56 am 

I review business books on my blog and I can tell you what catches my attention. A query that is pertinent - I don't review fiction, for example, although sometimes I get pitched fiction books. It needs to be addressed to me personally, not 'Dear Blogger' (although if it is a fabulous book I might overlook that. They rarely are).

I have also built up relationships with publishers over the 4 years I've been reviewing. Pitches from them will always get a second glance and a personal reply, even if I don't want the book. For authors, keep in touch with those papers or websites where you want to see your book appear. Not press releases - just a personal note every so often, the offer of a proof copy, sample chapter, author interview etc.

Reviewers like to give away things to our readers, so specify in your pitch if a signed copy is available for a giveaway.

The book also needs to be good. I have accepted review copies of two books that were so bad I refused to review them, as I had nothing good to say. I offered personal feedback to the authors and offered to return the books. But not all reviewers are like me! Sending a bad book to a reviewer could do your reputation more harm than good - you really don't want a bad review in the early days of your career.

Happy to expand on any of these points or let you have any more details - just drop me a note!

Good luck with your article
Elizabeth
www.pm4girls.elizabeth-harrin.com