Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 10th, 2006, 8:01 am 

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on an article to run during Poison Prevention Week. The article will discuss poison prevention for parents of babies and toddlers...I may also include some info for pregnant moms as well.

If you have any "near miss" stories about kids ages 0 and up getting into common household poisons (medicines, cleaners, etc), I would love to hear from you. I'm also very interested in your tips on childproofing a home.

Wanna help? Write to me at alexpowell2828@yahoo.com by Jan 21. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks a million!

Alex

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2006, 9:15 am 

How about poison prevention for pets? They get into a lot of places/products they should not get into. You really need to keep things locked up and/or out of the reach of toddlers and pets. Cats and anti-freeze? Hear those stories all of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 18th, 2006, 7:40 pm 

Thanks Shelley - that's a great suggestion! :)

It is amazing how similar childproofing for a new baby is to puppy or kitten-proofing...expect that the puppy or kitten will grow faster and be able to get into more stuff sooner...and the child will eventually grow out of getting into household dangers and instead devote their time to deleting files from your computer and making loud noises during work phone calls, LOL!

The antifreeze thing is so scary...in fact, I did an article a few months ago on winter pet safety...and learned that antifreeze is considered very dangerous for toddlers as well as animals...they are as likely to get into it as a cat or dog. Wild animals will drink the stuff too. I knew it was a danger for cats, but for some reason I thought maybe it was a species-specific taste thing and other animals would leave it alone. :(

Post subject: Antifreeze
PostPosted: January 25th, 2006, 5:44 pm 
I don't believe there is a species-specific preference or lack of interest in antifreeze. I have heard that it has a somewhat sweet taste--not something I am willing to attempt to verify. Suicidal humans ingest the stuff occasionally. Dogs and cats are both routinely poisoned by the careless disposal of antifreeze. I would guess that wild birds are too because they drink from many of the same places as dogs and cats. There is no way to verify that, but it seems logical.

I know of one old lady who claims to have put the stuff out in dishes to poison squirrels. She is 90 and pretty much a wingnut, so I try to pretend I don't believe her. Anyway. it usually takes several hours for the poisoned creature to die, and the death is, as I understand it, quite unpleasant.

The convenience of being able to reach under the sink to retireve a bottle of cleanser is hardly worth the agony of trying to comfort a poisoned child enroute to the hospital or, worse still, the guilt over a child or pet's death. All chemicals should be stored in a locked cabinet or container that toddlers and pets cannot access/open.

Post subject: poisen and kids
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 9:03 am 

my son would get into everything! i remember one day going into the cleaners upset because the landry monitor was yelling at me cause my son was climbing into the dryers and i was so exhausted and just wanted to get out of there, so i had my daughter "guard" him so no one would put quaters or clothes in that particular dryer...she said i was a negligent mother...i had like 10 loads of landry...so, i go next door to the cleaners and i am upset and telling this person about the unreasonableness of the landry lady and i see her eyes widen and my son was on his knees about to "plug-in" my car keys in her electrical socket. i grabbed him to stand next to me and he went by the bubble gum machine, i am still waiting for my clothes and wouldn't you know there was a bag of rock salt (ps it was summer!) behind the bubble gum machine and guess who took a scoop and swallowed it? of course (with a child liek this) i had posen controls number memorized and called them immediately...he just had to drink alot of water. i also had a kid i was babysitting once drink a bottle of eye drops, this was a med i didn't really think about as a problem to keep out, and once my son ate a whole mess of vitamins (with iron), again something you don't think to lock up...he got terrible stomach pains. he had climbed on the kitchen counter and i kept the vitamins on top of the frig...LASTLY i would like to mention that medication lock-up is not just for the young...my daughter hates discomfort and would never pay attention to the dosage reccomendations on the bottle, if she had a cold she would just drink a few gulps out of the bottle, tylenol-take 8, cough and cold med, if you take too much you get loopy- so what i am feeling horrible why not be a bit happier? as a result of these experiences we have 2 lock boxes for meds...1) is a hard cover box lunch box that we put a lock on the zipper so it would't open---if anyone wanted to sure they could cut it open, but we just wanted to be sure pills were not missing (some teens steal and sell prescription meds) and the other is on the kitchen cabinet door we keep our over the counter meds (and vitamins) in...it is like a hook and eye lock which we keep a combonation lock on. granted, tehse are not locked as often as they should be, it tends to be a pain to unlock the cabinet every time you need a rolaid...

Post subject: Poisons
PostPosted: January 29th, 2006, 9:17 pm 

Hey Alex,

A quick note about pets...

DON'T use doggie flea medicine on cats or vice versa. It's toxic to the opposite pet!
(I know this cuz I wrote a pet safety article once.)

Anyway, back on topic, I've had two close calls with my own kids. My oldest, opened a bottle of hand sanitizer and drank some. I was a new mom and freaked out, but he obviously didn't get enough to hurt him. (Close call.)

THEN, just the other day, my youngest son ate one of those color changing tablets for the bath water! I again, quietyly freaked out (trying not to scare teh kids) and called poison control, and they said that it's fine. Not tasty but not toxic.

Things are getting better now, thanks to more awareness on the topic. When we were kids, my sis got ahold of the Flinstones vitamin jar and ate the whole thing! That was before child safety lids. Thought she was eating candy. Had to take her to the hospitol.

If you have more questions, I know all about baby proofing. Done it twice. Contact you know who at you know where.

~Brooke

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2006, 11:14 am 

It wasn't really a near miss I suppose....

I greatly overprotected my kids, they could never get into ANYTHING because I was so paranoid...but we had a bottle of Super Fix-a-Flat which somehow ended up under the (otherwise empty) bathroom sink. My toddler had great fun spraying it ALL into his hair before I finished changing the baby's diaper!

I was scared to death it had toxic effects, fumes, whatever. So I called poison control but they laughed at me. Obviously they've never dealt with a kid who has a head full of fix a flat!

PostPosted: April 11th, 2011, 1:59 am 

Hi every one,
I 'm here for looking kids clothing that is related to new season...