Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 2nd, 2014, 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 4th, 2004, 10:12 am 

This poster has received plenty of responses and is no longer seeking interview subjects on this topic.

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: August 5th, 2004, 3:32 pm 

As a psychotherapist I hear this all the time...those who opt out on drugs and those who opt in and each believe theirs is the way out of depression. But WHOA! There are different TYPES of depression that need different types of treatment.

There is situational depression (ie, her mention of an adjustment disorder) which is resulting from an external life event. This depression, early on, can be dealt with in lots of ways: cognitive-behavioral therapy, spirituality, exercise, prayer, journaling, support groups, you name it!

Sometimes, untreated situational depression that becomes unrelenting (a chronic life problem going on) can actually then become the 2nd type of depression: chemical. Chemical depression is rarely treated without medication. You can't "will" more endorphins. Just like you would not ignore diabetes and just say you can "get yourself out of it" the same is true about chemical depression.

However, many people rush to treat type 1 depression with meds without trying to do other things FIRST. But people who have been diagnosed with serious depression problems like major depression, chronic/reoccurring depression or bipolar (formally manic depression) are not likely candidates for anything BUT medication to begin with. Once it is stablized they can then add OTHER therapies to it. Their situation might change in the future where they can come off meds, but once you are in the chemical depression, it's nothing but endorphins that can pull you out. Ignoring it is what makes people often suicidal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2004, 10:40 am 

I agree totally with Willow, the psychotherapist who posted the difference between "chemical depression" and "situational depression" ... I, myself, am a writer who suffers every day with chemical depression caused by a traumatic event in my life when I was just 13 years old; never got help back then so my depression turned into a "chronic" problem for me and thoughts of suicide in my teen years ... now that I'm 46 years old and have researched and learned all i could on DEPRESSION, I can deal with it much better on an antidepressant and "therapy." I wonder how many writers out there actually suffer from depression; especially when they are going through writers block? I've read about "famous writers" who've fought and beat depression but, never heard of new, aspiring writers dealing with this disease. That's why I love the magazine, "NYC VOICES" b/c it deals with writers who also suffer with depression, and it is a magazine for the "voice of mental illness" ... there should be more magazines like "NYC VOICES" out there to help us writers, who suffer chronic depression, overcome it!!!!! And, then maybe, there won't be that "stigma" attached to DEPRESSION and other mental diseases. This is a subject that should be written about more often ....[/b]