Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 23rd, 2014, 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 12:13 pm 

I am writing an article on rekindling the passion for writing. The love for writing and I parted ways some time ago. We had only just been reacquainted; whether it was fate, or something intangible, I do not know.

From this experience, I wondered if there were others who experienced a similar situation. I was intrigued by the reasons for the parting of ways and how both writer and writing were once again able to become a single entity

If this sounds like you, I would like to hear your experiences for possible inclusion in a freelance untitled article. I would be more than happy to give full credit for any information used. (If you prefer not having your real name appear, we could substitute another of your choice.)

Thank you for your consideration. Hope to hear from your soon.

Post subject: Passion for writing
PostPosted: July 24th, 2004, 2:51 pm 

I wrote alot as a child and teen. Then a marraige to a Manic-Depressive squelched that due to toddler-like tantrums, drinking, and threats of self harm. 25 years later--it's all in my latest book "How to Spot a Dangerous Man." Then writing began to return when my children were small--write during nap time, little poems to them, etc. Then another big insertion of real life and writing stopped while I went to college all the way thru my Masters Degree. I then wrote and published my first book. More time off while I grew my psychotherapy practice--then burn out--now back to writing INSTEAD of other jobs like psychotherapy. And alot less burn out.

It feels much like infidelity would--being unfaithful to your first love. All I can do is repent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2004, 11:46 pm 

HIi,
When I was in college, I majored in English and took creative writing classes. Four years of writing essays and "literary" style regional fiction about did me in. On top of that, there was getting married, moving out, far too many funerals, and trying to fix up a house with which I seriously disagreed. I took a year off writing (or thereabouts) and then started coming back. I'm now abandoning my overwrought regional fiction novel and writing short speculative fiction stories. Some factors in my regained enthusiasm for writing might be : getting used to being married, finishing the basement, and the fact that no one has died yet this year. I also joined Critters again, (www.critters.org) an online critique group.
It's good to be back!
Love and Luck,
Paula

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2004, 10:55 pm 

I think writing takes a lot of guts. I've never had a whole lot of guts, so when it was "easy" to write -- in high school and college -- I was writing. But when it came to selling my skills, I was without confidence. So, I majored in psychology (no offense to you psychologists out there) and in my own way, took the easy way out. I went into social services and met the needs of the developmentally disabled for about eight years. A great boss noticed my writing ability and asked me to do the company newsletters and brochures. Still, this wasn't enough to ignite my true love for writing. It took my kids to do that. After the birth of my second child, my boss suggested that I might develop a career writing for other businesses (because I didn't want to work full-time for the company anymore.) A number of life factors influenced my decision to quit my career and become.... a writer! (I now believe it was fate) I guess I never really lost the love for writing, I just forced myself to forget about it. Now, I'm happy and proud to say that I describe myself as a writer and mother of four (the last two children wouldn't have ever come along had I not decided to become a writer.)

While I had some good times and bad times during my anti-writing hiatus, I can honestly say that writing is what makes my heart full. I'm so glad that I found my calling again, because, quite simply, writing makes me whole. Thanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2004, 5:51 pm 

I'd love to be part of this article and share my personal experience.
You may contact me at pwhite05@twcny.rr.com
Thanks, and best wishes,
Pam White
www.food-writing.com