Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 24th, 2017, 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 27th, 2004, 7:39 pm 
I had a crush on a boy since I was in the eighth grade. I grew up and shacked up with him. I swore up and down that he was a god and that we would be together for an eternity.

Anyway, one day while I was working at the portrait studio, an army recruiter approached me about a job for his daughter. One thing led to another, and the next thing I knew, I was eating free lunches while this guy talked about how wonderful the Army was and how I could expand my horizons by joining. I really wasn't paying much mind to him while I ate the free hamburger and French fries.

I told my then my boyfriend’s dad about this and he told me to look into other branches of the service. I didn't think he heard me correctly, because I wasn't planning on joining any of them, but for some reason I checked into them.

So...While at boot camp, I quivered and quaked about the possibility of my never seeing my true love again. The drill instructors told us awful stories of loved ones back home getting into horrible accidents. I worried about this. My boyfriend had been having reoccurring dreams in which we were in a deadly car accident involving a truck. We weren't married, so if something were to really happen to him, I couldn't take emergency leave to see him.

Okay, so I have no idea what prompted me to join the military. I was never the military type, but there I was, taking twenty-second cold showers with forty other girls.

I went to my tech school and married someone else within two weeks of knowing the guy. I knew that I wasn't sure whether I was in love or not, but decided I best do it.

After a long messy break up with my god, (I had to tell him I got married, and well, that's a bit awkward), I was in for a hellish beginning of a marriage. It was awful but for some reason I couldn't go back to the god, who, by the way, was willing to take me back into his arms.

When I took leave to my hometown, my new husband and I were in the midst of calling it quits. My god gave me a call and I was going to drive to his house. Well, I, for some reason, told this to my soon-to-be annulled husband on the phone. (He coincidentally rang the telephone, like, eight seconds after I hung up with the boyfriend). He, apparently, was near town too. Coincidence? Anyway, while driving along the highway to my boyfriend, the god's house, I felt a sort of pull. I completely missed my exit, and before I knew it, I was driving up and away to my green-eyed hellish man of a husband.

That was the day, I guess, I was standing on the pinnacle of decision: a catalyst of destiny.

I spend the next couple of days with my new husband and crawled around in his weird mind. As it turned out, thought I cannot say that I was surprised, this man, my husband, had a history of psychological disorders, and I would eventually be the one who could sooth him.

During our first year of marriage, we continued to slide around in a mess of confusion and anger, but we were both determined to make this work out. So one night, I had a dream about a dark eyed girl of about sixteen years old. She was waiting for me, needed me, and needed me to be with my husband. I told my husband, and he said that the dream meant I was going to have a baby girl one day. The very next day, I noticed I was nauseous. The day after that, my husband suggested a pregnancy test. It was positive.

I have a little girl who is a spitting image of the girl in my dream.

So I got to thinking about my past and the guy I was with. I still love him, in a sense, and can't figure out why I so harshly left him. It was never my nature to do such a thing. My husband knows this and he understands my concern, after all, I'd been with that guy for quite a while.

What if, I thought to myself, I wasn't meant to be with the other guy? What if I was meant to be with my husband for some powerful reason? I met my husband in tech-school. He was there on a medical hold, which means, if things went well, I would have never ever met him.

What if, I thought to myself, I stayed with the other guy and a tragedy ensued? I thought that maybe his dreams of getting killed in a truck accident were possibly a sign.

Side note: I had a close friend who also had a dream of similar nature and it unfortunately came true. This is why this dream worried me.

Anyway, years later, I mentioned this thought to my husband. I started wondering what ever happened to my first love and did a search for him on the Internet. I couldn't find anything. I tried using Google on my work computer for a last minute try, but the computer wouldn't let me access Google.

I used MSN and found a whole site dedicated to the guy, and when I clicked on the 'About' Section, my heart jumped up and crashed on the monitor.

He had been in a horrible car accident and had to be cut out of his vehicle and air lifted to a trauma center.

He fortunately survived and didn't suffer any brain damage, but had to have extensive surgery.

So my question still remains: What if I was with him? Maybe he survived because I wasn't there. Maybe I am alive because I wasn't there.