Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 25th, 2017, 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ghosts or spirits?
PostPosted: June 12th, 2004, 11:10 am 

Howdy everybody,

Zach, our oldest (will be 18 in September) is the most skeptical person in the family. For years, he laughed at our experiences and never believed any of it. However, last winter, he saw Jonathan, the spirit who lives here and has a fondness for our daughter, Ali, for the first time and...well, seeing really is believing and he hasn't made a skeptical peep since. Zach saw him again a couple of weeks after that and, last weekend, saw him for a third time.

Zach was in Ali's room, looking at the aquarium that Ali and Frank filled with caterpillars (hoping for butterflies). Something under the desk caught Zach's eye and he saw a young boy, lying curled up under the desk. Zach ran outside to tell me what he saw and he was pretty pale. After he pulled himself together, he wanted to know why Jonathan was under the desk. I said maybe he's afraid of Zach and that perhaps next time he should acknowledge him...just say, "Hi Jonathan."

Ali walked up and reminded us that she and Frank play hide 'n seek in the house with their friends all the time and that the underside of the desk is a favorite hiding place. So, perhaps Jonathan was playing with Zach, or attempting to.

Anyway, wanted to share that with you all today. :)

Hugs,
Angela

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 13th, 2004, 8:12 pm 

Angela,
It's been a while since I've visited the forum. (Consumed by classes and studying) When I read your above post, it made me smile. Ironically, my oldest son (13) and I had a conversation just the other day about something similar. The conversation started regarding whether we should build our next house or buy an old farmhouse on some acreage (it has always been my dream, especially to turn it into a writing retreat.) I asked him why he wanted a brand new house rather than an old home. I figured he would say something about modern fixtures, a great room, things like that. His response was that he didn't want a house "with ghosts." I asked him, "Wouldn't you like to own Grandma's and Grandpa's house one day?" They live on 20 acres. The house is a huge Victorian farmhouse which was built around 1790. He said no, it is filled with ghosts. He told me about a time he stayed over when we were having guests from out of town. He was in one bedroom, and someone, a boy, walked in. At first he thought it was his cousin Isaac. Became freaked out when he realized it was a ghost.
Last summer I stayed at the house while everyone was in the Outer Banks. I love that old house. I always feel relaxed and comfortable (and usually feel like taking a nap there). One evening I was in the sun porch. There's a window over the kitchen sink that opens into the sun porch. I saw an aproned woman leaning into the window. At first I thought it was my MIL. Then I realized, no, I'm the only one here, and what I was seeing is a ghost. I was freaked out a bit.
Damian (my son) commented that the formal living room is the coldest room in the house. Even in the summer time, it is very cool, almost cold. He thinks it's because there are ghosts in there. Hmmm...
It's great how I read about personal experiences here and it sets off a whole bunch of rembrances for me.
Hugs, Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2004, 6:41 pm 

Angela and Marie,

It's amazing to me how you guys can be so calm and matter-of-fact about sharing your home with ghosts! I mean, it's one thing to have very welcome visits from family members and friends who have passed, but complete strangers showing up uninvited at all hours of the day and night!! Yikes!!

I'm with your son, Marie. I don't want a house with ghosts, either!

-- Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2004, 9:13 pm 

Nancy,
Did I give you the impression that I was calm? :(
The funny thing is, during the day is when I was most visited by ghosts (or is it spirits? Is there a difference?) in my in-laws' house. I was startled and yup, a bit freaked out. But don't ask me to stay there at night, alone. Just the mention of ghosts puts the hair up on my neck. Which reminds me, the annual family trip to the Outer Banks is coming up next month. I probably won't be going because I'll be starting my new job, and sometime during that time is when I'll be able to sit for my licensing exam. Usually the in-laws ask me to housesit. Hmmm... after last year, I'm not sure that I'll stay overnight.

Hugs, Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2004, 11:43 am 

Hi Marie,

Well, you sounded calm to me. (No exclamation points, bold, or italics.) :-)

I wouldn't be spending any more time in that house, if I were you!

The difference between ghosts and spirits is usually explained this way:

A spirit is a soul that has passed to the other side successfully and may come back for a visit, then return and go on about their business.

A ghost is a soul that is trapped in an earth-bound state, often acting out a regular routine (like a tape playing over and over). The ghost may not be aware that he/she's no longer among the living. That's why mediums are often called in to communicate with the ghost and convince him/her that they need to walk into the light and continue on their spiritual journey.

The only thing I've never been clear about is why the ghost's relatives, friends, and guides on the other side can't get that message across, without the assistance of anyone on this side.

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2004, 4:05 pm 

Hi Nancy!
Thanks for your explanation. I've heard of residual spirits, too. Are they the same as or similar to ghosts?
In my inlaws' house, it seems that the ghosts don't know we're their. They don't interact with us, except that we see them appear at times. These ghosts are unlike the one who lived with us in our last house. She played tricks on us, sat on our beds, etc.

Hope you have a great weekend!

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2004, 6:31 pm 

That's an interesting distinction, Marie. I honestly don't know the difference between ghosts who interact with the living and those who don't. I'll do some research, though, and see if I can find out.

You have a great weekend, too!

-- Nancy

PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 10:36 pm 

Hi there,

interesting topic you have. I've seen and felt quite a few ghosts in the past, but they never freaked me out... in fact, after a while it was pretty normal to me.

Ghosts that interact are "live" ghosts, meaning dead people who for some reason have gotten stuck between this world and the next. Ghosts who seem completely oblivious to us are usually "residual energies". They are merely vibrational shells of formerly alive people, whose energy has been "imprinted" on a certain place. That's why that kind of ghost always shows up in exactly the same place, doing exactly the same thing, pretty much like a movie that is being replayed over and over.

Shannara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 12:26 am 

Thanks for the explanation, Shannara.

Do you know why some spirits get "stuck?" And why they seem to respond sometimes to mediums from this side rather than to loved ones and guides from the other side?

-- Nancy C.

Post subject: Why ghosts get stuck
PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 8:56 pm 

Hi Nancy,

since I've never been a ghost ;-) I can of course only speculate, like everyone else. The common theory is that these people either have some unfinished business that keeps them around or have died abruptly, not realizing what was going on. In any case, they have failed to go into the light and now they're hanging around, caught in an endless loop. I believe that the "Sixth Sense" (one of my all-time favorite movies) said it correctly: "They're walking around like regular people. They can't see each other, they only see what they want to see, and they don't know they're dead."

As to the unfinished business: There's one covered bridge here in Stowe, VT that is called "Emily's Bridge" and is said to be haunted. The lore is that some time in the 1800's (I believe) a young girl wanted to run away with her lover that she wasn't supposed to marry; so she waited for him on the bridge. He stood her up, though, so she committed suicide by jumping off the bridge into the shallow water. Many people have seen strange lights on the bridge at night, some have seen a ghostly female figure in oldfashioned clothes. Emily is still waiting for her lover, they say, getting more and more pissed off as time goes by. Quite a few people found scratches on their cars after driving over the bridge, some people's cars were shaken back and forth, passengers on foot felt someone touching, sometimes even attacking them. I've only been to the bridge during the day so far and didn't feel anything spectacular, but I want to go back at night some time (and keep a safe distance).

I'm not sure about the Emily story, though, because it is unusual for a "regular" ghost to be that aggressive. I recently read in a book called "Psychic Self-Defense" by Robert Bruce (great book, by the way) that spirits cannot cross flowing water; so it could be any kind of entity being trapped on the bridge.

I've had some experiences with ghosts and also the other kind of entities (malevolent spirits) and they are not the same. Even poltergeists are not "ghosts" in that sense but mischievous or even malicious spirits. BTW, interesting that people freak out so much about ghosts. After browsing through this forum yesterday, I actually missed the ghosts I used to encounter. I wouldn't mind having a nice (benevolent) house ghost in our family--preferably some kind of granny type. *G*

Shannara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 4:17 pm 

Now, Shannara, you very well may have been a ghost after some previous life, and you just don't remember it! ;-)

I liked "Sixth Sense" too. The idea that trapped entities don't see others who have crossed over would certainly explain why it takes a medium and/or other people from this side to help them complete the transition.

Don't know about this "a spirit can't cross flowing water" thing. Seems like they could just dematerialize on one side of the water and rematerialize on the other side, doesn't it?

-- Nancy C.

Post subject: Spirits crossing water
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2004, 10:21 pm 

I don't know for a fact about the crossing-water thing, but in "Psychic Self-Defense", the author says he's experienced that many times, e.g. that an entity (he calls them "negs" from Negative Entities) attached itself to someone briefly, but couldn't follow that person over a water pipe. He says, for example, that he had good results with little kids getting those "night terrors" (he attributes them to entities harassing the children). He says he picked up the kid and took it outside, crossing a water pipe or even a hose they let water flow through, and the child immediately stopped screaming and was fine afterwards. If it gets really bad, he says, you can put them in the shower, too.

That's another topic: I firmly believe that, when children talk about monsters in their room and so forth, that it should be taken seriously by the parents. I've talked to many people about supernatural childhood experiences, and even skeptics often had impressive stories to tell. One guy I knew told me that his first childhood memory was being a baby or toddler lying in his crib and shadowy hands came out of the walls, grabbing for him. Another friend of mine started to experience severe astral attacks when she was 10 or 12. Same thing, shadowy things would come out of the walls, bearing down on her, trying to suffocate her. Myself, I was quite psychic as a kid already, and I always knew there were "things" in my room. Sometimes they would play tricks on me, like hiding things. For example, I would leave some color pencils on my desk, and in the morning find them on top of my bookshelf. Since I was never a sleepwalker (my parents would have noticed), I'm quite sure that I didn't do it myself. Children are much more sensitive to energies and entities than we are. Sometimes I hear my little 18-month-old having lively (but of course unintelligible) conservations in his room over the baby monitor. Maybe he IS talking to someone--how would I know?

Shannara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2004, 1:32 am 

Interesting!

I never had any psychic experiences as a child. Of course, I was afraid there was a monster in my closet or under my bed, but I never saw or heard any evidence of it. (Did you see "Monsters, Inc." by the way? It's a really cute movie.)

When your little one is a few months older, are you going to try the experiment of asking who he was before? A lot of two-to-three-year-olds apparently remember past lives in quite a bit of detail.

-- Nancy C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2004, 10:54 pm 

holy sh1t, it's 4am, I'm in a darkened room and you've done a damn good job of scaring the s**t outta me. I'm not so sure about ghosts, spirits and so forth, though to be honest I am a superstitous person, read my horoscope for kicks and have doubts this way and that towards "spirits". Any reccomended reading on the subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2004, 3:41 am 

LOL!

Well, let's see...try doing an Amazon.com search on books by:

Suzane Northrop
John Edward
John Holland
Sonya Fitzpatrick

A good one to start with, if you have any doubts about whether there is an afterlife and whether we can communicate with those who have crossed over, is Hello From Heaven by Bill and Judy Guggenheim. It's available in paperback.

Enjoy!

-- Nancy C.