Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Witchcraft
PostPosted: May 25th, 2004, 9:39 pm 

How do you (anyone out there...) think Witchcraft plays into the paranormal?

PostPosted: May 26th, 2004, 4:18 pm 

Dear Willow, Knowing a few individuals who practice the religion of Witchcraft and declare themselves :D :D witches, I am familar with some of the practices involved although I, myself, do not participate.
Is there a particular question you are interested in? dcwriter=dorry :D[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2004, 1:17 am 

Sandy/Willow,

I think the practice of witchcraft falls under the same laws of karma as all other human behavior. What goes around, comes around -- eventually.

Hugs,
Nancy

PostPosted: May 27th, 2004, 11:23 pm 

Actually when you stop to think about it, as a religion it contains its own rules of engagement. The basic premise to their beliefs is Nature in all things and the continous circling of life. The Solstices both Spring and Winter are the two points from which all else springs. I don't believe it is connected with the paranormal as we think of it as communion with the passed over. It's is actually a very beautiful and gentle religion.
Below is a poem focusing on the seasonal solstice.

SEASON SOLSTICE

Different days seem to linger,
in mind, brain and body.
As a dancer, writer, poet
bring to the plate soulful, willful hunger,
so I dine on wine, a food for the palate;
join in seasonal solstice, worship with the zealot.

Season solstice celebration.
Simplistic, sacred space,
better understood by symbols and allusions.
Spirits rise, souls renew, emotions heighten,
each and forever to embrace,
special times for spiritual nations.

Outdoor communion, circled fire
neither ending nor beginning.
Quarter points, four directions,
elements, of living shires
worshiping each, before the dawning;
depending not - on written doctrine.

Fire, water, air, and earth,
music, dance, sinewy, slow, sensual motions,
rhyme, rhythm, and recitations
give way to worship, longing, spiritual rebirthing,
a sharing of sweet, ruby red libations.
All of this describes a paganistic celebration.

A different holiday of every kind,
acknowledged and bid welcome.
Though speaking only to the worthy,
symbolistic language to divide human from divine;
depths of the unconscious mind succumb,
bringing solace to souls that cry and are earth weary.
Seeking souls and searching minds. dorry=dcwriter

Post subject: witchcraft
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 8:03 am 

That sounds more Paganistic. Maybe its the same thing or similiar. I was talking about those who practice spells and the kinds of practices that do rely on the paranormal. I dont think all of them practice in the same ways.

I actually think the roots of all my activity (see prior postings under Spirit for everything I have seen in the paranormal) began with a step gmother who was a practicing witch. I remember her taking me to her office in her house as a child, and reading something from a book over me. I have since "broken" any such link because I dont think she had the right to do that without my consent of my parents. But things began happening after that. So I wonder how successful I was at truly breaking that link. She also poisoned my gfather with herbs at the end of his life. So I'm not a big proponent that all wtichcraft is kum-by-ya and tree hugging.

Post subject: Re: witchcraft
PostPosted: May 28th, 2004, 6:15 pm 

Willow wrote:
That sounds more Paganistic. Maybe its the same thing or similiar. I was talking about those who practice spells and the kinds of practices that do rely on the paranormal. I dont think all of them practice in the same ways.

I actually think the roots of all my activity (see prior postings under Spirit for everything I have seen in the paranormal) began with a step gmother who was a practicing witch. I remember her taking me to her office in her house as a child, and reading something from a book over me. I have since "broken" any such link because I dont think she had the right to do that without my consent of my parents. But things began happening after that. So I wonder how successful I was at truly breaking that link. She also poisoned my gfather with herbs at the end of his life. So I'm not a big proponent that all wtichcraft is kum-by-ya and tree hugging.

Hi, I'm Murrday - I'm new to the forum. Angela just put the story of my
grandfather's visit to me after his death in the second book she's
compiling for this series.

There are a number of varying pagan, Wiccan, or other pre-Christian
religious and spiritual practices. However, as with Christianity, there
are those who practice sincerely, who work for the good of all, and
there are others who do not. One concern that I have about
practitioners who come to "the craft" with a me-first attitude is, I've
seen people who try to dominate nature, spirits or paranormal forces,
and command them to work the practitioner's will, with no regard for
the good of any but self. I have a definite problem with this approach,
and I know it will backfire on them eventually. I feel that attitude is
abusive, just as a spouse who seeks to dominate partner and children
is abusive. And I work toward having less abuse in this world.

For myself, rather than commanding any energy in Nature, I offer a
blessing, and ask to work in harmony. I also make sure to say thanks
aloud for cool tree shade on a hot day, for rain when it's dry, and all
other benefits shared. Instead of demanding, I will speak with the
weather devas, usually somethiing like this:

"I know rain needs to happen, and I respect that. I'm glad when the
plants get enough to grow well. So if you need to rain now, that's
OK, I understand. Still, if it would fit in with what you need to do, to
give me time to walk down this hill from the bus before it pours, I'd
sure appreciate it." And quite often, they can, and do.

A time or two I've gotten a distinct feeling I need to move quickly,
and not sidetrack to look at flowers. So when that happens, I head
straight home. While I don't keep a specific tally, I do know that more
than three quarters of the time this season, I've made it home before
it stormed heavily. I was particularly grateful for that the evening
when it hailed.

PostPosted: May 29th, 2004, 5:04 pm 

A very well crafted reply to the question--as with all other forms of religion I agree it can be used for good or not so good. Unfortunately, all contacts with a higher being or the elements of the universe are subject to the use by frail and quite often misguided individuals. Just my thoughts. dorry=dcwriter

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 11:24 am 

Howdy everybody!

Hiya Murrday and welcome!! :)

Coincidentally, my next door neighbor is a "witch." In my first book on Spirit Communication (http://www.booklocker.com/books/1541.html),
I say, "I researched everything from spirits to ghosts, mediums to psychics, Wicca to Islam, Judaism to Christianity, near death experiences, astral travel (which I was never successful with), meditation, chakras, and more. I learned about things I’d never even known existed and met people I thought were enlightened and others whom I thought were downright crazy..."

The next door neighbor is who I'd put in that latter category. She explained her rituals and potions and the like, but when she told me she and her witchy friends put a spell on another woman none of them liked, I knew right then that her "religion" was not for the love and good of all.

I do know there are good witches, but, with all religions, there are also bad ones.

Hugs!
Angela

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2004, 10:57 pm 

Angela, I agree.

I belong to a world wide writer's group (online) and there are several who practice the craft of witchery. The thing I find quite interesting is that in that group all of them speak (type) in calm, quiet, gentle tones, even when involved in some of the heated discussion we get into, while a couple of other "religious" types usually wind up calling someone a name or becoming perturbed because of a perceived attack. My mom spoke of herself as a 'believer'. She had a strong sense of her own spirituality and practice it daily. I think that is what all true religion should be like.
dcwriter--dorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2004, 2:21 pm 

I'm really excited I found this thread! I have a lot of questions, so you'll have to forgive me my long-winded post:

So, do those of you who practice witchcraft usually do so in groups (covens?) or do you practice individually? I have been curious about witchcraft for a long time, but have never met with one of the groups in my area because a lot of them seem to take on a superior attitude, one of the persecuted, and become very offended when an ignoramus like me asks them genuine questions just to understand more. For example, I once asked someone about what a particular group of witches thought of neo-paganism, and the response I got went along the lines of: "Of course we're not neo-pagan! We practice an ancient, venerated religion. But I wouldn't expect you to understand - after all, you were raised Christian, right? And you do know that Christians persecuted those who practiced the Craft," and so on. She went on about religious persecution for a long time, and basically the whole group joined in on the lecture. It seemed like the whole group was looking not for a place to practice their beliefs, but more a place to take the moral high road. I wondered if you practiced by yourself or in a group, and how you came across that group and how friendly they are toward those interested in learning more. My experiences really put me off learning more for a good long while.

As I'm sure is evident, I've never practiced witchcraft (or at least never called what I do practice witchcraft - I don't know what to call what I practice, maybe my own personal religion :D), but it seems to me that a lot of witchcraft is mistakenly identified as the calling of spirits, using psychic powers, etc. What do you do when you practice witchcraft? Is it mostly the worship of nature, or healing or what? A combination maybe?

Like I said, I'm really excited to see this thread because I've always been curious about witchcraft, but I find it hard to identify with people who call themselves witches, then put on funny costumes and dance around Stonehenge at solstice or become intensely offended when asked an innocent question for someone just wanting to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2004, 4:14 pm 

when i was a sophmore in high school, my best girlfriend (since kindergarden), decided that i should join her in wicca and start a coven. i began researching wicca and other "alternative" or "pagen" religions, because i wasn't going to get into anything without first understanding it. wicca is supposed to be worship of the god and the goddess and communion with nature. yes, there are spells and such, "witchcraft", if you will... and it is very real. if used as it is supposed to be used, it can be very spiritual, i don't exactly think it could be classified as "paranormal", though. anywho- the whole situation began to feel evil to me, so i dropped it. ended a life-long friendship in the process, but it was for the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 18th, 2004, 12:42 pm 

I'll offer what I can for this.

The term 'witchcraft' is generally associated with witches and is defined in the online Meriam-Webster dictionary as: "1 a : the use of sorcery or magic b : communication with the devil or with a familiar
2 : an irresistible influence or fascination
3 : WICCA "

That may offer plenty of confusion for some. :? Witchcraft itself is the use of magic whether for good or bane by anyone whether a witch or not. It would fall into the paranormal when used to summon spirits or demons or to perform (gaudy and unnecessary) public displays.
On the other hand, Wicca, Paganism and other religions may include the use of witchcraft in their ceremonies or rites though this is not always what the ceremony or rite is for.
I am a witch by blood as well as a gypsy. I have practiced solitarily (outside of a coven) in the past though have not in the last few years due to circumstances. My daughters know what witches are and are familiar with Paganism. Living in TN I have had to teach them not to broadcast publicly what we believe as I do not want any trouble from uneducated folk.
If I can answer any more questions please feel free to shoot them my way, I will do what I can to help. :)

Oh, btw: the #1 rule in Wicca is, " 'An it harm none, do what ye will".