Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently March 29th, 2017, 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Talking Boards
PostPosted: May 9th, 2004, 12:14 pm 

Has anyone here had any success with talking boards (i.e. Ouija)?

We've tried it but haven't had any contact whatsoever.

Hugs,
Angela

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2004, 12:58 pm 

Hi Angela,
There was a ouija board at our house when I was young. it worked for my sister in law and I, then as things go it was packed in a closet in my bedroom and forgotten. Years later, my younger sister(then in her early teens) moved into my room when i left and got married. She almost immediately started having night horrors. Screaming, banging on the walls,sweating, it was awful. She almost always awoke in the big walk in closet. One day while cleaning, she found my ouija board, which she didn't know existed.She got this awful gut feeling from it and called me to go get it and bring it to my house. i did and it was packed into a closet again. In the meantime, my niece and cousin got a board when the fad came around for the second time.They were both teens.They set it up one night under their parents supervision at the kitchen table.At first Ouija just responded when asked, then it began taking over the game. they asked who the spirit is . It said "Mom". That was my Mother but everyone called her Mom. Then it answered "Bord".Borden was my father, everyone called him "Bord". (two very mild mannered people)Then Ouija started getting nasty.calling the gitls names(######, slut, etc) another niece (April)got scared said she was going home, Ouija spelled out "NO". Honestly, the house doors locked and the pointer flew across the room and hit the fridge .By now the girls were in tears and the parents were also shaken.One of the Fathers, Unlocked the door and took April home, then decided that was enough . His daughter packed he ouija board to take it home and he refused. He went outside, built a fire and burned the board. While everyone watched, Ouija burnt up, screaming all the time. And my board? well they called me that night and relayed their tale. i dug mine out of the closet, got Rick to build a fire and did the same. Mine made not a sound. That was the end of my Ouija experience.

Post subject: quija
PostPosted: May 9th, 2004, 7:31 pm 

I have heard similar stories infact have never heard a GOOD story about this. Seems like something NOT to play with, for some reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2004, 7:59 pm 

Ouija is a no-no.

For some reason, less evolved, earth-bound spirits hang around them, just waiting for an opportunity to cause trouble.

The way I've heard it explained on other forums is, you wouldn't leave your house unlocked so just anyone from off the street could walk in, would you? Well, spiritually, using a ouija board amounts to the same thing!

-- Nancy

Post subject: Re: quija
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 12:21 pm 

Okay, I have a really stupid question. Did these experiences happen with the boards you can buy in any Toys R Us, or were these boards bought someplace else? Is there a difference? I told you it was a stupid question.

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 12th, 2004, 4:42 pm 

Scribendee,
In my case, these boards were just bought at Zellers, kMart, don't remember where but you get the idea, just a regular department store.Mine had the old wooden pointer, the one that "acted up' for the girls was the newer plastic model. Didn't matter. it is not the "board" but the open minds that get you in trouble here. teenagers are more susceptable to spirits because of thie naive curiosity, or so I have read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 2:32 pm 

Molly wrote:
Scribendee,
In my case, these boards were just bought at Zellers, kMart, don't remember where but you get the idea, just a regular department store.Mine had the old wooden pointer, the one that "acted up' for the girls was the newer plastic model. Didn't matter. it is not the "board" but the open minds that get you in trouble here. teenagers are more susceptable to spirits because of thie naive curiosity, or so I have read.

Amazing how something marketed as a "game" and seemingly so innocuous can have dastardly effects. Scary.
Thanks for your response. I felt like a doofus for asking.

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 9:30 pm 

Scribendee,
that wasn't at all a stupid question. I got your meaning, just answered too quick. i assume you wondered if these boards were bought at an occult shop or the likes, right?
if you want to see doofus, read some of my old and new posts.
Keep smilin'
Molly

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2004, 9:10 pm 

Not a stupid question at all!

Yes, Ouija is the most popular brand, but they've been made for centuries, and the book I'm currently reading has instructions for making your own. When mediums and us regular folks attempt to communicate with spirits, we say a protection prayers, thus not permitting any spirits with mischief in mind to approach us. Only those with love and those seeking to educate us are permitted to contact us. This is probably why I've never encountered anything of the naughty variety.

I think when children and others "play" with these things, they don't know about protecting themselves and thus may be opening themselves up to contact from less desirable spirits.

Hugs,
Ang

PostPosted: July 20th, 2004, 10:57 pm 

It really doesn't matter what kind of board it is.

A friend of mine and his sister had a regular Ouija board years ago and tried it out for fun. I don't know what kind of messages they got, but it was nothing major. Still, they found the thing kind of spooky and threw it in the garbage can outside. The next day, the board was back on the shelf where it had been stored all the time. They threw it out again, and the next day, it was back again. Now they were really freaked out and tried to burn the thing. Even though, as my friend says, the paper they put with it in the garbage can, was burning brightly, the Ouija board was barely singed afterwards. Only when they poured gasoline over the whole thing, the board would finally burn. Creepy.

My own experience: When I was in my early twenties, I was fascinated with all kinds of supernatural stuff--but unfortunately not very spiritually evolved. One night, I listened to a radio show describing how to communicate with spirits. I made my own "board" out of a piece of cardboard with the alphabet and numbers, yes and no on it and started dowsing over it with a pendulum. Same result. I got contact, but the messages got so weird and insane that I stopped after a while. Something had come through, though: I started feeling watched from behind when I sat in my room although no one was there. Sometimes I could see the air in the room thicken, forming a grayish fog below the ceiling... and the thing felt sentient... and evil. I started having nightmares and couldn't fall asleep anymore without dozens of Lord's Prayers. And so on and so on. The whole thing lasted for about a month, and I was at the verge of a nervous breakdown and questioning my mental sanity when the spook finally ended, as abruptly as it had started. I would have thought I might have had a psychotic episode... but years later, I had similar experiences, once with a poltergeist, and other sensitive people could feel it, too.

I can only recommend for everyone to keep their hands off Ouija boards.

Shannara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2004, 12:20 am 

Shannara,

Welcome! Yes, as Willow said in an earlier post, she's never heard of anything good happening from the use of a Ouija board.

Things have been a little quiet around here lately. Hope you check back in and post often.

-- Nancy C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2004, 8:05 pm 

interesting,....i bought one and stopped using it the same day, because nothing at all happened...im very impatient and whats the use of a board that just sits there...maybe its just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 1:47 pm 

Ouija board = bad news bears.

I was one of those teenagers who was really into the occult AND into finding an alternate reality (remember the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon?). My cousin had an old board and some of my friends and I would play with it. Well, needless to say, playing wasn't what it had in mind. By the end of the whole thing, I was being chased through the woods by invisible howling things. I broke my board afterward and the last time I tried to use one, it didn't work. Maybe it was because I was sort of coerced into it? Or because I was trying to get in touch with a friend who was probably quite happy wherever he wound up? Who knows.

Great fodder for a fantasy novel...15 years later. Back then? Soul sucking and horrifying. And endowing with a "creepy thing in the room...watch out!" feeling.
Never trust a thing whose brain you cannot see. (Wasn't that from Dune?)

Wordchick

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 7:40 pm 

Ok ya'll. I had to step in and say my piece.

The Ouija board is not the evil thing it is made out to be.

I have been using Ouija boards since I was about 8 years old with my Mom, sisters, friends and my own children (my step son as well). I am now 33 years old and continue to own, and use, a Ouija board.
I have experienced the full rainbow of things from malicious beings to scared children not knowing where their parents are to honest spirits just shooting the sh*t with us. Malicious spirits that insisted on performing with the candle flames and knocking silver crosses off of the planchette followed by a young spirit that spoke through my friend to me.
Simply put, the Ouija board is not a game nor do you 'play' with it. It is a very serious tool for communication for those who know how to use it. It has its faults (opening 'doors' between worlds) and its favors (allowing contact and knowledge between beings). There are steps you can take to keep the malicious spirits from entering your home and causing trouble. The mention of a protection prayer earlier is one good step.
I am not afraid of the Board but I do respect it. I also read Tarot. Hmm, come to think of it I also have witchcraft in my blood lines as well as Hungarian Gypsy (the fortune tellers) in my ancestry (only 3 generations back).

On a final note, always be careful when using a Ouija board as spirits are also known for lying. Never use the Board alone and always, always clear it when you are done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 9:21 am 

Well, exactly. But the company that manufactures the board with the little plastic pointer (can I say the name here?) doesn't say, "Make sure you cleanse the board" or "Hey, you might open yourself up to some bad stuff that you don't want trotting around in your head or backyard."

That's the problem with Magic. People don't respect it, probably because most of us don't live in a culture in which we learn about it. (Point of argument: a dude gets swallowed by a whale and a deity turns water into wine and that's not magic, it's a miracle.) The kneejerk reaction to Harry Potter is a classic example of this: HP has very little to do with Wicca, which has nothing to do with Satan, but these books are, in the eyes of many, the pathway to ultimate evil.

Eh. Got off track. Anyway, the point is, the Ouija board isn't a game, but too many young people (and old people for that matter) don't realize this.

Wordchick