Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 23rd, 2017, 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trippy
PostPosted: May 31st, 2004, 9:49 pm 

Ahhhhhh! SEE??!!?? Isnt it easier to just trust that you will live and learn and grow and die than rack your brain that way? Actually, it would be good stuff for a Philosophy class! There's a new thread: Philosphy Meets The Paranormal! Now that would get some seekers. Keep at you guys--I know you're growing brain cells thru this! It's gotta be an IQ booster!

Post subject: God with time...
PostPosted: June 1st, 2004, 11:39 am 

It strikes me as really funny that I -- ME? -- have taken over the part of the argument "for" presdestination in this thread ... If you knew anything about me, you'd know that this is as rare as "chicken lips" ! ;o) But, as I said, it's good "mental calisthenics" !

"Then I would say God had wayyyyy too much time on his/her hands! ;-) "

Hm. It strikes me that, out of all the beings in the universe -- in this, or any other dimension -- God would have the MOST of this particular commodity, n'est pas?

(This is fun!)

Warmest of all possible regards,
jean

Post subject: trippy
PostPosted: June 1st, 2004, 12:42 pm 

While musing over God and time on His hands... why not postulate the essence of "time" in the eternal past, eternal now, eternal future... That oughta keep you going a while. My husband says I'm a pot stirrer.

PostPosted: June 1st, 2004, 4:55 pm 

Jean,
Sorry, this is off the subject. What is the name of the Ray Bradbury story? Your synopsis makes me want to read it.
Nice to meet you...
Marie

Post subject: Ray Bradbury
PostPosted: June 1st, 2004, 7:22 pm 

Gee, Marie, I just KNEW someone was going to ask me that .... :o\ (LMAO!)

And, as befits my age, in my most senior of senior moments -- for the life of me -- I cannot remember the name of that story...

However, I DO remember the name of the book the story was in, it was called "Golden Apples of the Sun"... :o) (I just LOVE Bradbury.... Kind of a "SciFi O. Henry"...)

(At least I feel better now having remembered at least THAT much.... lol ...)

Nice to meet you, too, Marie :o)

Warm Regards,
jean

Post subject: Stirring the Pot...
PostPosted: June 1st, 2004, 7:44 pm 

Gee, Willow... We have an unrepeatable equivolent of that "pot stirrer" thing where I come from... (LMAO!)

Confidentially, I have been known in several past places of employment as a "boat rocker" -- which, I gather, is pretty much the same thing!

:o)

Time -- past, present and future, huh?

Hmmmm................. Well -- (this is where it gets REALLY "esoteric" for my part...) When I think about it, I pretty much view "past", "present" and "future" all as the same thing. I think these delinations that are made by calling it by these names were probably pretty much the invention of some "linear thinker" somewhere...

I can tell ya, I'm a heckuvalot more "circular" of a thinker than that... (which results in me chasing my tail, oft times...lol...)

The more I read and study about "quantum physics", the more I'm inclined to believe (as I did, initially, with no outside input at all -- as a child) that what is true in the universe on a "macro scale" is also true of time...

I mean, novas explode -- resulting in stars. Outwards from these, planets, asteroids, natural satellites, comets, etc. expand and move away -- ever moving further and further away from their "sun". Then, after countless eons, these bodies grow colder, shrink and then are drawn ever closer back into their dying star -- smaller and smaller, denser and denser, until a black hole is formed and all disappears into it; only to -- at some point in time in the vast future -- become so dense and so compacted that the whole thing starts again with a vast explosion outward, forming, once again, planets, asteroids, natural satellites, comets, etc.

My personal belief, if that's what you're asking, is that time follows pretty much the same pattern.

What is "future" becomes "present", what is "present" becomes "past" -- and so is the way that "future" become "past". The more I think about it, I think that, in some way, there might also be a mechanism by which "past", then, becomes "future"....

(Oh no! I might just have talked myself into "predestination"!! -- Boy, I AM good... ;o) )

Warmest Regards,
jean

Post subject: Trippy
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 8:21 am 

Jean, You description of the Nova's would be a great hypnotherapy induction. Couldnt you close your eyes and see yourself moving inward to that? I do hypnosis so I might print that off. I am always looking for new descriptions and prompts. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Ray Bradbury
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 9:33 am 

lilfishjean wrote:
Gee, Marie, I just KNEW someone was going to ask me that .... :o\ (LMAO!)

Nice to meet you, too, Marie :o)

Warm Regards,
jean

Hi Jean,
I believe I do have that book in my library. I'll have to read it. I also love his stories.
I'm just going to sit back and listen to this conversation on predestination, etc. All so fascinating, though I think my head feels as if it's going to explode.

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 11:16 am 

One of you said (gosh, my brain is reeling):
"If everything IS predestined, then what is the point of our existence?"

I never thought about it that way before!! I'm not going to get any work done today because it's going to take me hours to try to figure that one out. ;)

Hugs,
Angela

PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 5:50 pm 

LOL!

I'm sitting here laughing and shaking my head, 'cause I seem to have this penchant for causing people to get headaches whenever I come onto the scene and start conversing about topics like these ...

I don't mean to do it... I really don't... It's like some kind of weird "mental catalyst" that seems to just "burst into flames" whenever I enter into a discussion like this with other people -- any other people -- especially in small groups...

All of a sudden, before I know it -- POOF! It's turned into a fast-moving grass fire and people are dropping like flies! LMAO!

I joke... I kid... but sometimes it seems almost like that to me -- it's always been very strange being me...

Hey... It could be worse, you guys... Just think, you could live inside MY brain where these questions are going 'round and 'round and 'round all the time, changing, shifting, morphing -- CONSTANTLY (and HAVE, ever since I can remember!) ...lol...

Oh, and, Willow, I'm glad you can use some of my babbling to help somebody in some small way -- that's a very, VERY nice thing -- thanks...

:o)

Warm Regards,
I remain,
jean