Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 28th, 2017, 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pet stories
PostPosted: April 28th, 2004, 7:29 am 

Angela, there are organizations that will certify your dog as a visiting pet therapy animal. Some have classes that you take them to or they come to you. There are books that can teach you how. They are mostly interested in temperment which can't be changed. For instance, Molly has a personality like Eiore on Wiinie the Pooh--PERFECT for this work. My other dog, Timber, has the personality of Tigger--TERRIBLE for this type of work.

My boss from the hosp had an akita and when I got Molly she told me to bring her to the hosp so she could meet her. I was going to wait in the lobby by once Molly got inside you just started going into the rooms, right up to the bed, put her head thru the rails and snuggled each person. If they were sitting in the chair with a walker in front, she manuevered around the walker. Rolling gurneys and wheelchairs did not phase her. As I walked her down the hallway, people began to call out to her--and thus--her work at the hosp began. She then started riding the hosp float in parades, posing for Cmas pictures with kids, and then had a costume designer who sewed for her! She was well known in our little community. She retired this year. Timber, on the other hand--I took him to the hosp to see how he would do.

He bit at the wheelchair wheels as they went by, chased a man on a gurney at a full gallop (and 140 pds!!), whinned and cried and was hyper, and ran up to the nurses desk and POOPED PILES in front of the nurses! That was his one and only visit.

So you can see why temperment is important!! sandy

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 28th, 2004, 12:44 pm 

Angela,
Oh gosh, this story made me cry. (I'm reading this while doing a temp assignment at an upscale law firm.) Thank you for sharing this.!

Marie

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 1st, 2004, 12:31 pm 

Sorry I made you cry at work. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2004, 9:52 am 

I am glad too, although I still would have missed that cat.

Our deceased pets are not gone forever, but are with our loved ones on the other side, waiting to join us for a happy reunion once we return "home." In my case, I would have quite a few cats. I have had cats as pets ever since I was little and even now, have three adopted adult cats. One of them came from a shelter, one from the street, and one from a friend who couldn't afford to adopt any more cats. Two of them are up in years, 10 and 12 years old, while the stray that I took in is probably younger. I love all animals and believe one of the purposes in my life is to help care for them, especially cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2004, 1:14 pm 

Just had a look at this thread - my goodness what pet memories it brings, I'm trying not to cry. I've never had or sought any afterlife communication with pets, but have had much stronger attachments with animals than humans in some ways. Steve, I agree completely, there's something about animals' need of us that makes me more sad about their death than people (animals and babies). I still cry over the death of pets when I was a child, but didn't cry that much when my own grandmother died (though I did love her a lot) and always felt a bit guilty actually.

One stray we adopted was having seizures more and more one day I was home sick from school (this was in the country) it got particularly bad and the neighbor came to shoot her. I can still hear that shot. My one dearest toy poodle (not the fluffy show ones, but a mutt) we 'adopted' when I was a kid died just after I finished high school and was living with a family elsewhere. When I got the news I could barely handle it, but the man I was working for and whose family I was living with just laughed "That dog was about as old as you!" Thanks for the sympathy. Quite recently my friend's blind cat who he loved dearly died in my husband's and my care while we couldn't even contact his owner who was somewhere in France. We tried so hard to keep him alive and did everything the vet advised (even though I"m allergic to cats) but the next morning he sputtered his last breaths as soon as I got up. That was really hard, esp for the owner when he came back, but we took him to a mountain and buried him so he could visit later.

Sorry, just had to share, though it's not really a spirit story :) I hope it's true that for the departed, human, pet or otherwise, it's easier than for us.

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2004, 4:20 pm 

One of the main objectives of this forum is to help people with grief. And, you're right, we do tend to grieve for pets for a looong time! Perhaps it's because each of our pets is like a child to us, even when we're children ourselves when we lose those pets. They're small and depend on us for everything when they're here. When they leave, we are left wondering where they are and if anyone is taking care of them...just as we do with children who have died.

Animals DO have souls. They think and love and can talk...we just can't understand them. They speak a different language. Imagine how different the world would be if animals spoke our language! (Would make a great book, yes?)

Hugs!
Angela

PostPosted: May 27th, 2004, 1:43 am 

I just had the most amazing telephone reading with Sonya Fitzpatrick (the Pet Psychic from Animal Planet)!

She brought through three of my kitties who have crossed over. The first one through was Goldie. Sonya said, "Did you have a ginger kitty, because one just jumped up beside me on the bed." She said that Goldie had never left me and was still sleeping beside my pillow, on the right side! (That is indeed where my Goldilocks always slept.)

Sonya also read and chatted with my kitties who are still on this side. She described their personalities perfectly, and explained the reason for a lot of their behavior "issues."
For instance, Tai Chi told her he bites us because when we stroke his body, static electricity builds up and he gets little shocks. He said he would prefer to be petted on his head, only. (We are doing that, and he isn't biting!)

Also, I give the kitties their canned food on paper plates, and I recently switched to a smaller size plate that is solid white instead of the patterned plates I used to buy. Tai informed me that he doesn't like the white plates and he wants the plates with a pattern back! (His wish is my command! LOL!!)

Sonya is a very warm and charming person -- and definitely the genuine article!

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject: pets
PostPosted: May 27th, 2004, 5:00 pm 

Angela, re: "imagine if the animals talked, the world would be a different place." The whole concept of Dr. Doolittle, wasn't it??

I am getting pretty jittery about my pet therapy akita, Molly. I just sense this is the last year with her. I hate that I sense it because I am avoiding her like I am starting to detach to protect myself. She has been my life and anyone that knows me keeps asking me "what in the world will you do when she is gone? she's like your whole life? I think most of the county will go to bed for a week when she passes. But you--you will be gone a year!" She is trying to spend MORE time with me (she is usually pretty avoidant) and I am trying to spend LESS time so keep a good thought/pray that I can give her what she needs and not be a WUSS!! Its so selfish of me to protect myself instead of loving her. Kick me in the butt, will someone??

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2004, 5:33 pm 

Sandy,

Consider your butt kicked!

Not only should you be there for Molly in every way possible now because she so deserves it, you should do it for yourself, too.

Do you want to carry around the guilt you know you'll feel for the rest of your life if you push her away from you now?

Love and attention to the max...it's the right thing for her and the right thing for you!

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2004, 11:30 am 

Hi Willow,

I agree with Nancy. If you don't give her 100% right now, you'll never forgive yourself after she's gone. I'll have to live with the guilt of leaving Baysha (see story several posts above) for the rest of my life. Believe me, you don't want to feel what I feel.

Hugs,
Angela

Post subject: Our Sweet Alice
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 3:20 pm 

Haven't been posting much the last few days, because I was spending as much time as possible with our dear cat, Alice.

She crossed over today, at the age of 19. She was very ill and was ready to go, but it's still so hard to say goodbye - even though I know it's only temporary.

If you have a spare moment today to think of her and wish her a smooth and happy transition into her new life, I would be most grateful. I know my mom and dad are giving her all the love she can handle right now.

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject: Pets
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 4:54 pm 

Guest Writers--I am so sorry. Prayers for a good journey to the other side and often visitations to you by her.

Post subject: Re: Our Sweet Alice
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2004, 8:15 pm 

Guest Writer wrote:
Haven't been posting much the last few days, because I was spending as much time as possible with our dear cat, Alice.

She crossed over today, at the age of 19. She was very ill and was ready to go, but it's still so hard to say goodbye - even though I know it's only temporary.

If you have a spare moment today to think of her and wish her a smooth and happy transition into her new life, I would be most grateful. I know my mom and dad are giving her all the love she can handle right now.

Hugs,
Nancy

May everyone who blesses bless you and Alice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2004, 1:00 pm 

Willow and Murrday,

Thank you both. We were blessed to have Alice with us for as long as we did, and I feel she will be visiting us in spirit. It's her sister, Goldie, that I wrote about in my post regarding the phone reading I had with Sonya Fitzpatrick.

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2004, 10:37 am 

I'm so sorry, Nancy, and I'll be praying for her smooth transition. I'm sure she's being pampered by your parents. Aren't our animal loving parents like grandparents with our pets? :)

We had dinner with friends last night and the husband told the story of how he saw his cat when she'd crossed over, before he knew she'd crossed over. It's too long to tell the story here, but it was beautiful and I asked him to write it for my next book. If he sends it to me in the next couple of weeks, I'll post it here.

More hugs!
Ang