Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently June 28th, 2017, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2004, 3:02 am 

Thanks, Angela.

I'll look forward to reading about your friend's cat spirit contact.

I haven't been able to read your current book yet. My husband grabbed it first.

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2004, 7:26 am 

This topic has been quiet for awhile so I thought I'd breathe some air into it again, this time with a humorous side.A few years back, my niece had a cat.She loved it, and hugged and kissed itso much, her mother was quite worried that she would catch something from it.Her cat, Mickey was an indoor/outdoor cat. Mickey liked to stay out at night and have her breakfast early on the back step.An early riser, Evelyn, my sister would go out each morning and fill Micky's bowls as Mickey curled around her legs purring.One evening, my nephew, coming home late found Mickey's lifeless body on the side of the road.He told his Mother who asked him to take Mickey and bury him. Her son did as asked.Now I must tell you some background. This happened at the height of the Steven King rage. Pet Cemetery was being passed around the gang and we wanted Evelyn to read it. She was quite adament that under no circumstances would she read that "creepy "stuff. After awhile, curiosity got the best of her and it just happened that this is what she was reading when these events took place.(now, back to my story)
So, Mickey was properly laid to rest and Evelyn was peroccupied how she would break the news to her little daughter. The next morning,as usual, she stepped outside to breathe the fresh morning air.Mickey's dishes were still on the step.As Evelyn stared at them, thinking how sad her daughter was going to be, up stepped Mickey, and curled around Evelyn's legs as usual.Evelyn screamed and shook the cat off and ran into the house.She woke up her son and asked him about Mickey. "Yes," he said."He had burried the cat as asked.Evelyn was a wreck.Pet Cemetery and a cat returning from the grave were not her cup of tea.Just then , the phone rang. A neighbour asked if anyone had seen his cat.He was told that it was dead on the road up by Evelyn's house but when he went to bury it, the cat was gone.The description of his cat was exactly like Mickey.To Evelyn's relief, they had burried the wrong cat.For some unknown reason, Evelyn never finished Pet Cemetery and no matter how hard we tried ,we could never get her to read another Steven King book. (hehe)

Post subject: Cat Stories
PostPosted: August 12th, 2004, 7:58 pm 

Boy, do I have a ton of stories for you.... Excited to see this topic. I'll briefly share that I know when my cats are ill and our prior cats come "visiting" calling them to kitty heaven.

I'm not free to share them yet, because I'm writing them for publication. Currently, working on a book about how cats are similar to people, and how we treat them.

I've had some contributors, can only give name and city, state credits. I have to get back to people for interviews.

Perhaps some of you would like to share your story?

Linda Blatchford

Post subject: Another friend gone
PostPosted: August 19th, 2004, 12:38 am 

Hi Guys,
Haven't been writing much lately. Buzzy had been sick and in decline for
a while. We have had a virus that sooner or later seemed to get our
cats as they get a few years on them. Some have lived in excess of 23 years, but most are lucky to manage 18 good years. Prunella who lives in a pen in the backyard (It's a run of 60 feet by 8 feet... 7.5 feet tall of cyclone fencing. We built shelves on it where the cats could jump around and sun when we had in the high teens of cats. It has an automatic dry feeder that holds 35 lbs. of food and an automatic waterer and a misting system for the hotter days along with a dogloo... A plastic large domed doghouse with blankets and cedar chip pillows) is not doing well and probably won't make it to winter. We do have a new cat... Socks. Yes he has socks and a lovely tuxedo. Tufted ears and was abandoned when the neighbors moved in the middle of the night. He likes his new home and doesn't mind being an indoor cat now.

I am still mourning Buzzy though. It is complicated. I did write a poem to try to get my feelings out. I am not a good poet, I just do it. See what you think. I am pretty thick skinned.

AN ODE TO BUZZY

We once had a cat and Buzzy was his name
He loved sleeping with us, it won’t be the same
A powdered ball of fluff, a kitten when he came
Somehow real aggressive, but with us so tame

He had one little friend, OJ we had named him
Two kittens in our bedroom, full of zip and vim
But OJ, he left long ago, suddenly was just gone
And left poor Buzzy behind to somehow carry on.

He snuggled so happily with his mom, my wife
And did so for the most part of his too short life
He was so happy he’d purr and hence his name
I tried to get him to play and we did have a game.

He loved to chase my hand and I’d pull on his fur
Buzzy hated it so much, he couldn’t muffle his purr
He played so hard like he knew it wouldn’t last long
And he had to get it all in while he was still strong.

Then there was the tower where his dry cat food was
If it got to a certain point then he was a worried Buzz
He would start to “cover” the pillow beside my head
And if I had let him, to get more he would have led.

He had a funny meow, a cry that was more of a ”moo”
That was his weapon to wake us up when he wanted to
I thought I heard him moo one last time when I went to bed
And when I got up the next day little Buzzy was at last dead.

Did he say goodbye to us, well I believe that he did
He had been sick for so long, so far down he’d slid
And now he can go and rest and wait with God for us
He can play with OJ and just raise the biggest fuss.

Can you imagine a Heaven without cats all around?
Better to just leave me rotting in that cold, cold ground
There’s no way I could be happy without all them there
Besides my wife, they’re the only ones who truly do care.

So little Buzzy has gone away and I am very sad
He will be missed so much by his Mom and Dad.
He was the very best cat that he knew how to be
I think he liked his life and hope that he’ll be happy.

Spider ‘04

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2004, 2:08 am 

Steve,

I'm so sorry for your loss. That's a lovely tribute to Buzzy. And I agree, it wouldn't be Heaven without all the dear animals who have crossed over.

I'm still mourning our Lily and Alice, both 19 years old, who crossed within three days of each other in June. I know they're well and happy on the other side, but I miss them so much.

We will be with all our kitties again. This I believe with all my heart.

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 15th, 2004, 2:15 pm 

Hi Everyone,

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes as I read these posts. {Steve, you're not the only guy who cries over their furred friends. I'm 46, male, and trained as a "rational" engineer, and my tears still flow pretty darned easily.}

My wife and I recently had to euthanize Kirby, our beloved clown of a Jack Russell. It still hurts at all kinds of odd times. As I write this, there's a huge United Way poster just down the hall from my office that's got a photo of an all-too-familiar-looking Jack Russell face gazing intently into the camera. Except for some of the markings, it looks far too much like Kirby for me to take.

Kirby wasn't as loyal to us as we were to her, I suppose. She was a dog of the world. Her true passion was whatever lay beyond the end of the leash, or around the next bend at the beach. When she left this world, nose-to-nose with me at the vet's office, I had a brief, clear vision of her bolting down the beach for all she was worth, young and strong again, without even a backward glance.

But lately when I come home from work, I sometimes feel her excitedly greeting me at the door. The other night, after working very late, I could have sworn I heard her welcoming bark as I pulled into the driveway. And just this morning, as I kissed my sleeping wife goodbye, I was sure I felt Kirby in her familiar spot at the end of the bed.

Maybe she's finally gotten some of her running and exploring urges satisfied and is coming back to check in on us again?

I haven't had a chance to get or read your book, Angela, but I'm looking forward to being able to do that!

I've been fascinated by animal communication for a while, too. I've read several books on it by Penelope Smith and others, but so far haven't become very good at it. The best I've managed is to pick up specific food demands from Summer, our elderly orange tom cat.

I have a cat tale or two I'd love to share if you'd like to hear them, but this is probably long enough for now. Besides, I'm supposed to be working...!

Nice to meet you all!

-- Daryl