Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently June 25th, 2017, 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: From Nancy
PostPosted: April 10th, 2004, 6:08 pm 

This was posted in response to our guidelines, so I'm opening a new topic with the post here.

~~~~~~

Thank you for opening the forum to this subject. After reading the guidelines, I still have a couple of questions.

Is it acceptable to mention/discuss mediums by name?

Is it okay to recommend books, websites, etc. on spiritualism?

As far as contact from the other side goes, I've had lots of visits from beloved, departed kitties. Many times, when I'm lying across my bed reading, I'll feel one of them jump up on the bed and walk across it to where I am.

My most direct contact from a departed human has been from my father. On his birthday a few years ago, I woke up thinking about him and missing him very much. I asked him to give me a sign to let me know that he was aware that I still loved him.

An hour or so later, I went out to my computer and turned it on. I had not left any print jobs in the queue from the night before, but as soon as I powered up, the printer started whirring and out came a single page. On it was a tiny heart in the upper left hand corner, way outside the boundaries of my default page set-up. I immediately understood that my dad was answering my request and saying that he still loved me, too!

A few months later, I was thinking about that incident, and a doubt or two started to creep in. I was sitting in a room across the hall from my office, nowhere near my computer. As the thought "I wonder if that really was my father" formed in my mind, I heard the printer start up! I ran into my office, and there was an identical single page, with the same tiny heart in the same place!

(By the way, I've tried to duplicate that heart in that position and have been totally unable to do it.)

-- Nancy

PostPosted: April 10th, 2004, 6:28 pm 

Hi Nancy,

I, too, have had visits by a pet, but only one, Baysha, who was our dog. And, my dad never used my computer, but he did come to me over a series of several years in my dreams.

To answer your questions, yes, you can mention mediums and books by name. What we don't want is for this to turn into a big advertisement for psychic and mediums, since our intent it to teach people that they usually don't need to pay someone to contact a loved one who has crossed over; they just need to learn how to open themselves up to contact and to recognize it when it does occur. :)

Angela
http://www.spiritstories.com/

Post subject: A life time
PostPosted: April 10th, 2004, 8:56 pm 

My whole life has been filled with these "spirit stories" -- too many to list. The bigger question is WHY. Since I was a child, I have had regular and on-going "activity" shall we call it? It's such a regular event in our house that my kids have even learned to ignore it if it bothers them. But a brief run down would be: lights turn on/off, water turns on/off when I go in a room (not just my house), tv turns on/off, washer banging against the wall and it's NOT on, cereal box spins on the table, mechanic tells me my brake lines were cut but does not appear to be by a "tool", cigarette smoke in the room that wakes me up (this was my dad visiting the night my grandmother passed), seeing someone behind me in the mirror...oh please! It just goes on and on. It could really be time consuming if I let it. Sandy Brown, MA

PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 6:05 am 

Hi Angela,

Thank you for clarifying those points for me.

When your dad visited in your dreams, what was different about them - different from regular dreams, that is? I find it fascinating when people receive dream visits, because I have not been able to remember any of my dreams for many years. Did he/does he visit at your request?

Hugs,
Nancy

Post subject: Yikes, Sandra!
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 6:13 am 

Sandra,

Some of the activity you describe would scare the heck out of me! And cut brake lines? That's downright malevolent! Have you tried surrounding yourself with white light, and very forcefully instructing any "visitors" who are not there to support and protect you to leave immediately?

I'm astounded that you can sound so calm about it!

Hugs,
Nancy

PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 9:15 am 

I am calm about it. It's been occuring since I was 10 or 11. I'm 46--thats a long time to get use to it! I also have an undergraduate degree in Theology so the aspects of this don't "scare" me per se, it's just annoying and sometimes inconvenient. It slows down for time periods. It was slow here until the cigarette thing with my grandmother.

For a long time I thought it was the house I was in but I noticed every time I moved, it still occurred and even occurred wherever I worked. I've walked into conf rooms to have meetings and have the water turn on in the bar sink. It's just unreal. We had so much activity in one house with doors opening/closing that my dad took all the doors except the bathroom OFF the hinges.

And only once did I actually "see" someone. It was a house we rented and she had died in it a few years earlier. I think she was just checking us out. We prayed that evening and she did not revisit.

The spirit realm has been very real to me most of my life. It's part of an active world that either you are aware of or you aren't. There are some days, I wish I wasn't! Sandy Brown, MA

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 1:47 pm 

John Ravenscroft wrote:
So far, nobody has managed to claim the prize.

And nobody ever will, John. It's quite impossible when the conditions are being controlled by a close-minded skeptic like him.

Dr. Gary Schwartz at the University of Arizona did a truly objective controlled study of several well-known psychics/mediums a few years ago and published the results in a book titled "The Afterlife Experiments." His work provided ample proof to any reasonable person of the validity of psychic experiences, but Randi and his ilk were still not convinced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 3:32 pm 
And nobody ever will, John. It's quite impossible when the conditions are being controlled by a close-minded skeptic like him.

OK, Nancy.

I'm a new boy here and I don't want to tread on toes.

I can't help wondering, however, why that prize hasn't yet been won. It's a pretty big carrot, and the person who won it would be instantly famous, not to mention rich.

What conditions do you think Randi may impose? On the website it says:

'All tests are designed with the participation and approval of the applicant. In most cases, the applicant will be asked to perform a relatively simple preliminary test of the claim, which if successful, will be followed by the formal test.'

I mean, if I genuinely had the power to move objects with my mind (for example) - I can't see what conditions Randi could insist upon that would make it impossible for me to perform.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 4:03 pm 

You're not stepping on my toes, John. However, I can't help wondering if you consider Randi to be the ultimate authority on the question of whether paranormal phenomena exist?

I would urge you to look into the University of Arizona study I mentioned before, if your mind isn't already made up on this issue.

Regarding the questions you posed in your last post, this website answers them far better than I could:

http://www.alternativescience.com/james-randi.htm

-- Nancy

PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 4:23 pm 

No I havent heard of his $1M offer. Doesnt matter--I DONT DO THESE THINGS. They occur around me but I have NO idea when they are gonna occur. I dont think it is me who does them--I just think "they" hang around me from time to time. (Gee, I wonder if I"m good company??). Although I am good a sensing ground/land through my feet and "knowing" things about the land. But other than that--I dont think it's me. If people can move objects, etc.--I'd be cashing in! Sandy Brown, MA

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 6:48 pm 
Thanks for the links, Nancy.

I took a quick look, got sucked in, turned out to be a long look...

... I'm afraid I'm a rationalist at heart.

The comments made here:

http://www.skepdic.com/refuge/altscience.html

about the 'alternative science' website seemed to me to be pretty accurate.

The comprehensive study of the Schwartz experiments here:

http://www.csicop.org/si/2003-01/medium.html

also seems pretty conclusive.

However, I can't help wondering if you consider Randi to be the ultimate authority on the question of whether paranormal phenomena exist?

Nope.

But I do find it odd that nobody has ever been able to demonstrate such phenomena in a conclusive, public, scientifically valid fashion.

Doing so would be a huge event - and would at a stroke invalidate dozens of scientific theories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 8:01 pm 

Well, then I guess we shall have to agree to disagree on this issue.

I shouldn't have reacted so strongly to your first mention of James Randi -- he's a particular "hot button" of mine -- since I don't believe Angela intended this forum to be a debating society.

In the future, I will stick to the purpose stated in the guidelines.

Best,
Nancy

Post subject: From nancy
PostPosted: April 11th, 2004, 9:34 pm 

Nancy-- ANYWAY, GETTING BACK TO WHAT WE WERE TRYING TO TALK ABOUT before that other thread got us sidetracked!--what kind of experiences have you had?
I am interested in finding out other people's experiences as I haven't talked much about this outside of my family already knowing about it. I've watched some "TV" paranormal celebrities but they make it seem so unreal. That isnt like what I've experienced, I guess. So I am trying to find out what OTHER people have experienced. Sandy Brown, MA

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2004, 1:20 am 

Sandy,

Other than feeling the physical pressure of departed kitties jumping up on the bed and walking across it and the two printer incidents with my father, I haven't had many personal experiences. I think the main reason for that is I closed myself off to it. I asked not to be contacted, because I didn't think I could handle it.

I have had one other extraordinary experience, though. It happened in April of 1987, about three months after my mother died. I live in an area of the country where tornados occur often in the springtime. I had a fax machine then that had a bell that sounded off with a single *ding* whenever an incoming fax finished printing. I always turned that machine off when I went to bed each night. On this particular night, the fax machine was off, as usual, but about 5 a.m. its bell started ringing, over and over again - *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*! It woke me up, and the first thing I noticed was how deadly still everything was. About thirty seconds later, a tornado blew through! It uprooted a large tree in my backyard, right outside my bedroom window. Fortunately, the tree fell in the opposite direction (it missed the houses behind mine, too). If it had fallen the other way, it would have crushed me in my bed. I feel very certain my mom rang that bell to alert me to the impending danger.

Have you ever thought about trying to focus and control the energy around you?

-- Nancy

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2004, 2:42 am 
Well, then I guess we shall have to agree to disagree on this issue.

No probs, Nancy.

Hope I haven't offended anyone.

I find these areas interesting.

I guess deep down I'd love to feel there really is a paranormal world (it would be fascinating) - but my reason tells me no.