Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 31st, 2014, 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 30th, 2003, 1:55 pm 
In the beginning of this month I was contacted by a publisher to write the first book of a series planned. We spoke about the scope of the project and what would be involved. The publisher was to send the planned schedule via email, though it never came. Also they were going to call again after I had an opportunity to view the materials. No call came. I kindly left a message that I had not gotten the materials and had missed the call (though I have no record of ever getting it, wanted to be very nice) and to call when available. It's been 2 weeks since the first conversation and I'm feeling all rejected. I've limited my follow up contact to once a week, which means I have left a total of 2 messages regarding the issue.

I have othe projects coming up that I must commit to but have no clue with the book. There's a chance that the other projects will not work well with the requirements of the book project. I'm feeling rejected like the overly needly girlfriend who couldn't let her man go to football practice without her in high school. Did I miss something or should I forget this whole book deal?

I don't have experience as a guide on this one, got any clues?

Post subject: Feeling rejected
PostPosted: October 30th, 2003, 8:32 pm 

Sorry, girlfriend.Sounds like you got the shaft. Don't know that I would waste any more time on this guy if you have anything promising in the wings. Are the other jobs looking at all worthwhile? Go with the odds. One in the hand is worth two in the bush, or something like that? Believe I'd give it another week and then move on, take my chances elsewhere. Better luck next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 30th, 2003, 10:39 pm 
Seems that way. I'll take the other projects, well worth my time & effort. I'll check my messages for another week and let it go...
not what I wanted --- but must to get on with my life, right?
feels like a first "serious" school relationship has ended, the ones where there's really never anything serious but rather the mysterious promise of it. No real biggie once the whole thing is dropped, eh?

Thanks

PostPosted: November 5th, 2003, 4:25 pm 

I sent a proposal to Davis Publications in May, after being encouraged to do so by a vice president of the company. She asked me to send the proposal to a particular editor, and I promptly did so. He never responded, even though I had enclosed a SASE. When I called several months later, feeling sure they weren't interested but still...neither editor was in the office. Later still (because I believe even busy editors should have the decency to treat people with the respect they deserve) I left a message on the vice president's machine. I was nice enough, but perhaps businesses need to be reminded that basic courtesy goes a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2003, 6:18 am 

I'm from England and I mainly write magazine articles freelance. I'm trying to break into books. My husband and I (we sometimes write together) sent a few proposals in to a small publishing house. When we tried to follow them up, the two in charge (let's call them A and B) asked us if we'd be interested in writing a book for them. Their idea. Our time and energy spent researching and writing. A meeting in London? No problem. (We live 300 miles away) and it meant a lot of problems actually. They gave us lunch at their club and offered us £10,000 for six months work. We had to send in another sample of writing. Did that. One week, two weeks. We rang. They were at the Frankfurt Book wingding. Rang again. Oh, they'd rather do it on a few hundred pounds and royalties basis. But they'd pay our expenses for London. Send your address again please. I tried to email it to them, but guess what? The things came back - mail undeliverable. Have we been blocked from their system? How can you tell, I'm no techie.
Anyway, what makes them think I want to communicate with them ever again!
All part of the process.
But it sure hurts.
Diane [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2003, 3:52 pm 

:wink: Hey - don't let this get you down! I know we aren't in the music business - but think on this - the big record labels like Decca, RCA and Philips didn't bother to listen to the demo tapes sent in by the Beatles back in the 60's and said they had no future, boy bands wouldn't catch on....... boy were they sick later on!
What I am saying is - someone's going to look back and get a real sick feeling when they realise THEY turned YOU down as your big best seller hits the high streets!!
Keep writing, keep sending them in! :lol: