Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 3:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 10th, 2011, 6:48 pm 

Hi Everyone,

The May issue of Photo Zoom magazine just came out, and I'm in it, twice. You can see it here http://emag.marinmediagroup.com/doc/marinmediagroup/photozoom-3rd-issue/2011050501/

I'm the Featured Photographer, and I have a tutorial on making a complex photo mask in Photoshop using a pen tablet.

There was no pay for being in the magazine, but it gets me in front of a lot of people. This is a Canadian publication too, so I also get exposure there.

I had specifically written the Mask article for my blog and for use as a free article for nonpaying publications. I do several of these a year as part of my marketing plan. As for my interview, they e-mailed several pages of questions to me, and wrote the interview based on my answers.

Head on over and have a look.

Have Fun,
Jeff

PostPosted: June 7th, 2011, 11:35 am 

Jeff, It's interesting to note that freelancers are going to have to change the historical "no fee, no words" method of working, at least in some cases.

Sometime in the next few weeks or months, I expect to have several books done in Kindle. With no publisher, all the marketing is in my lap. That means submitting pieces of the books, or other material, for editorial review. It grates, but the need to get one's name out there takes precedence.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2011, 7:07 pm 

Hi CharlieSelf,

Since the world has gone digital, many aspects have changed for businesses. I am doing things much differently now for my writing and photography business than I was even 10 years ago.

Those free online magazines, like PhotoZoom, make about $20,000 a month, if all of their ads are paid for. That should be enough to pay the writers something, but I don't expect to see that happening any time soon.

And don't feel bad about having to do your own promotion. You would be doing the same thing if you went through a traditional print publisher.

I'm going to be switching from PDF to Nook, because they have a color reader, and I use so many color photographs in my ebooks. And using Nook will protect my ebooks from illegal downloads.

All we can do is hang in there and hope for the best.

Good luck with your new ebooks.

Have Fun,
Jeff