Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 16th, 2014, 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 10th, 2009, 9:53 pm 

I picked up Norman Ollestad's "Crazy for the Storm" memoir and see on the back cover what's listed as "advance praise" followed by blurbs from Russell Banks, Jim Harrison, and Carolyn See, and inside the back cover a blurb from Lucinda Franks.

I'm curious - how does one go about soliciting "advance praise"? Who arranges the readings/manuscript distribution? I'm asking because I'd love to get a name on board my memoir, but I don't know if there's a "correct" procedure.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Richard
http://www.richardpnixon.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 4:36 pm 

Talk to your publisher and have them contact who you want, if they agree to give a quote, then your publisher will send them a copy of your book. If you're self publishing, contact them yourself. Most people don't mind doing this, all you have to do is ask.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2009, 4:43 pm 

Jeff Colburn wrote:
Talk to your publisher and have them contact who you want, if they agree to give a quote, then your publisher will send them a copy of your book. If you're self publishing, contact them yourself. Most people don't mind doing this, all you have to do is ask.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I don't have a publisher at present, but I'm aiming to get one. I saw the "advance" term and wondered if the author had sent out copies in order to get the praise which then helped him get his book published. Right now I'm "building a platform", and figured if I can get a name on board, good things would happen.

I sent an email to two of the names (See and Franks), but I'll go ahead and see about making more contacts. Thanks!

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2009, 3:02 pm 

I agree that you just have to ask, and I imagine most people will be happy to comply.

I was once contacted by an author to read an advance copy of his book on freelance writing. I agreed and he mailed me the book before it was released. I liked it and wrote a book review for it, I don't recall if it came out early or just when the book came out.

If you ask the right people, I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest!
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

FredTB wrote:
I agree that you just have to ask, and I imagine most people will be happy to comply.

I was once contacted by an author to read an advance copy of his book on freelance writing. I agreed and he mailed me the book before it was released. I liked it and wrote a book review for it, I don't recall if it came out early or just when the book came out.

If you ask the right people, I'm sure you'll get a lot of interest!
Good luck.

Thanks,

The question is: who is the right person?

My book is a memoir that builds on my being sent to boarding school in Ireland and England as a base. Of course there is family history that leads up to my being sent overseas, and during the time I'm away the family moves from the US to Saudi Arabia, so there are many opportunities for adventure, etc. (please take a look at my website and platform: http://www.richardpnixon.com and feel free to make suggestions to make it more appealing/focused/user friendly/etc. There's even an excerpt - click on the book cover).

I've provided a number of copies of the book - in manuscript form - to some family members, a neighbor, some friends, etc. trying to get a varied input. I wanted those who did know my family history to make corrections as needed (dates, places, etc.) and people who didn't know my family history read the work and give me more objective feedback - I figured they wouldn't be as "emotionally attached". Thus far the feedback from all channels has been sparse. A couple of really good points were made, but most has been "engaging" and "well done" kinda generic.There have been some comments on the grammar, and one person was thrown off by the Euro terms but was able to go on because the meaning was clear via context.

I'm looking for overall comments, not point by point, page by page. Thus far that hasn't happened, and I'm a bit anxious, and every now and then I get pangs of doubt.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Richard

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm 

Some thoughts -- How about teachers, guidance counselors, and others who work with children/teens who were the age you were during this time? Or staff at similar schools?
Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2009, 6:37 pm 

I like that idea. Thanks.