Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently December 18th, 2014, 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 417  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 8:07 am 

Grassblade~~ Grief 101 is the only way out of the pain is thru the middle of it. No shortcuts or loopholes. Feel it, face it, grieve it. But I also think you can get a smidge of Post Traumatic Stress watching fires or trauma like that.

writerdave~~when I started working in homicide I always requested a certain reporter who was not a "Trauma Voyeur" he actually recorded the emotionality of the event in a non-Jerry Springer way. So anytime I had to give a story about a murder, I wanted this guy. You remind me of him. Well, this 'guy' went on to win a Pultizer for his sensitive reporting. He's quite famous in his circles now.

LOLO~ Ah, the narcissism of small paying markets, eh? I think a Long Island Ice Tea ought to put you out of your pain. What do ya think??

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 8:23 am 

I think I need a rum and coke please. My mind is numb, as with my illness I do way too much. I try to write and go blank. I try to clean house and forget where I am. I hoped to have a lot more writing done by next week. No way I could make that goal now. My home businesses are not getting any customers. My husband asked me last night if I wanted a part time job! I am getting ready to cut back on my volunteer work, because it is taking up so much time we have other plans for already. After the last two days of foggy mind, I am afraid to try to drive again, though I want to, and friends keep asking me when I plan to start driving again. We live in an area with no safe mass transit, and none here, so they are used to everyone over 15 driving. I would like to be able to drive sometimes, to take some of the burden off my husband. We are going shopping to buy a new vehicle tomorrow, after an appointment with a nutritionist and my physical therapist. People wonder why I write sad stories.

On the other hand, I finally found a story I want to write that the main characters do NOT have PTSD from past abuse events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 10:04 am 

You might try EMDR for the PTSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 10:07 am 

P.S. Adeil, you also need to make sure your nutritionist is treating the overactive adrenal gland and abundance of cortisol that PTSD produces. Self hypnosis tapes are good too--or make your own, ones that (I know this sounds weird) speaks directly to the adrenal gland to slow down while you are in a slight trance state (which if you have PTSD is ALOT of the time). Also, it might be interesting for you to read up on psycho-neuro-immunology. This is where you will learn the effects of the hyper adrenal state on your foggy thinking, general health, and PTSD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 10:51 am 

writerdave wrote:
If you are going to let your heart into the equation, you must be very careful. There is a point when you can be drawn in so far, you will suffer emotionally and psychologically.

The upside is, if you do the 'reporting' side using your heart as well as your head, you tend to see and hear things differently.

writerdave

That's true, and although it is too hard for many people to do, and they either shut off their hearts to do it or, like me, have to pursue a different area, the world really does need more reporters that touch on the reality of the things that happen. Not the reality that a house burned down, but the reality that this family has lost everything they worked for, this little girl has lost her home, and hearts were broken because of it.

I just can't bring myself to do it, even by approaching it in a heartfelt way, but I sure am glad there are people like you in the world who can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 7:18 pm 

Oh, look~~it's Happy Hour -OR- Grippy Hour, however you are feeling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 10:55 pm 

Jmitch, you are right, but I also see that, even in the midst of the tragedy, there are beautiful things amok (the teddy bear, the wooden train).

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 7:56 am 

Ahh, the trained eye of a mystic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 9:24 am 

I'm glad you do, Dave, I wish there were more people who did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 9:25 am 

Oh, Bartender, can I have another Margarita, I want to celebrate that it is Happy Hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 9:49 am 

Here's to the Happy Hour....Salt or No Salt??

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 11:26 am 

Salt, please.

Oh, and can you stick a lime wedge in there?

Thanks, here's a tip.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 11:27 am 

Frozen Margarita with salt ... sounds real good. (Wife calls me a salt addict)

It's Friday ... couple of things bouncing around in my head.

1) ... Dave ... I couldn't be a "reporter" ... it's very hard to distance myself from the story and write "just the facts" ... I prefer the human interest type of story.

2) ... Been wracking my brain here trying to come up with something special ... our 25th wedding anniversary is Tuesday... 25 years is the Styrofoam anniversary ... right ???

3) ... With all the talk about media bias in reporting the news ... (going back to #1) ... I think it is rooted in the deteriorating work ethic in society in general ... it’s HARD WORK to keep personal opinion out of a news piece. Every adjective ... inflection ... choice of words ... it all reflects your personal feelings ... either consciously or subconsciously.

4) ... Willow ... hurry up with that Margarita.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 11:32 am 

George, let the debate begin! (Shame it's too early here for a drink).

I believe one can write the human interest story and write facts. One has to be most careful doing so, but it can be done.

When it comes to media bias, to be absolutely true to the God of Fact, we should removed all adjectives from our vocabulary. It's not going to happen. But I think bias comes into play more when reporters/editors/publishers decide WHAT is going to be reported on, rather than exactly HOW to report about it.

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 15th, 2005, 12:26 pm 

Writer George; if you want a wedding anniversary beyond this 25th, I wouldn't suggest Styrofoam. Or any synthetic. Google creative wedding anniversaries or something like that...if all else fails most women (but not me) like jewlery, trips, personal written love poem, George Clooney (oops, that was me...), or really great furniture (oops, that was me too!). Anyway, you'll figure it out, or you'll be single.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 417  Next