Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently August 28th, 2014, 7:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 417  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2005, 12:13 pm 

Thanks! Willow, drinks all around please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 10th, 2005, 10:20 pm 

I should think I'm in need of a quadruple something-or-other and a frontal lobotomy to go, please.

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 11:29 am 

writerdave wrote:
I should think I'm in need of a quadruple something-or-other and a frontal lobotomy to go, please.
writerdave

Willow, please refill my Long Island Tea just onnnnnnnnce more before I begin...

*brandishes the scalpel with an evil grin*

(hey, did anyone notice that RHYMED>>>obviously I paid attention in that poetry class)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 4:32 pm 

All this chatting about 'behaviorally challenged' people has made me thristy. Anyone else thirsty?? Anyone else want to talk about THEIR lives!! **Willow leans on the bar on my elbow and looks around for a customer....**

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 6:29 pm 

jlgwriter wrote:
Quote:

jlg, while he's a teen he will continue to be unreasonable. Mine is 21 and is just barely starting to make sense.

But mine is also headed to the war zone....so look at your precious son the next time he acts like a you-know-what, think of mine, and give him a hug. (now THAT's reverse psychology!) At least he's not spending the next year in Mortarville!

Wow, that's scary. Actually, that's my greatest fear for my son. He has ADHD, among his other issues, and the thought of someone who is so scattered being in the middle of a war zone is terrifying. I'll keep your son in my thoughts and prayers.

One of our young karateka decided to join the Marines when she turned 18. I thought that was a pretty crazy thing to do considering that we were at war, and she had a good chance of being deployed. I worried about her, though I thought it might embarrass her if I said anything. A couple months ago, we found out that she is being deployed--

--to Okinawa.

I was very relieved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 6:45 pm 

Btw, I'll have a Mimosa. I'm trying to follow a healthier diet.

I don't know why, but for the last several months I've felt plain fatigued. I feel like sleeping all the time. I eat well. I'm physically active. I'm not depressed or unduly stressed out. But I just want to shut my eyes and curl up somewhere like a sleepy cat.

That's my problem. Nowhere near as serious or stressful as some others, thankfully, but bothersome all the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 6:55 pm 

Willow, I would like a double-double-double, with a double on the side.

I heard the sirens at about 10 a.m. I went out my front door and there, on the mountainside off in the distance, was a huge welt of black smoke rising above the town. I grabbed my bag, camera and keys and headed out.

Up the mountain I drove. Pulled into a park area, got out, turned on my camera while I walked. I was well into taking the fifth picture of the firemen desperately trying to save the burning house when I realized I knew the family who lived there.

I did my job, conducted interviews and took nearly 300 pictures, but it was one of the roughest reporter jobs I've ever had to do.

writerdave

P.S. The family is all ok, but they lost everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 7:48 pm 

Wow that was awful and traumatic but you still don't get 4 double drinks (ie, 8 drinks!!) You are over the legal limit, even the Krupp limit unless you have a D.D.

Still a very sad event. Grief sucks. It's so hard to work thru and even harder to shake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 10:32 pm 

So how would you counsel someone going through it? You said it's hard to work through. What all's involved? When does something stop being sad?

And made him secretary of Thy praise.
--George Herbert
www.patriciasbaker.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2005, 10:45 pm 

Bartender, can I have a margarita please?

Nothing too bad in my life, just need a break from the hustle that has consumed me for a couple months.

sorry to hear about the family, writerdave.

the first actual reporting i ever did, i felt like the bad guy. there i am standing, camera and notebook in hand, watching (and taking pics of) these people's house burning down (it was completely destroyed) while they are watching their life and their home and their history burn down. all the while i am trying to catch some sort of conversation with them and the firemen.
horrible, horrible. i decided right then that i couldn't be an actual reporter (and i didn't even personally know the family), i can be a journalist, and i can write many other things, but jumping up in the middle of the night to invade someone's tragedy...it was too much for me...i have no idea how reporters are able to do it.

i did still have to do a few more reported stories, but not many.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 12:46 am 

I'm feeling a little better now (and didn't even need alcohol to get to this state).

When I arrived, the mom was hugging her young daughter across the street from their house. Flames were screaming into the air, smoke hung thick. I did what I do and took picture after picture. Then the mom looked at me and said, "Dave, please don't take pictures of my house."

It hurt. It stuck me right in the middle of the chest as sure as she was wielding a knife. I knew then it was a spur-of-the-moment reaction from her. Later in the day, I saw her and everything was fine, the pictures forgotten.

Jmitch, you ask how reporters can do this all the time? I really don't know. Reporters are taught to detach themselves from the people in the story, dig for facts and report the news. I can't detach myself and, quite frankly, I don't want to.

That's why first and foremost, I am a writer. Not a reporter.

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 12:46 am 

Oh Dave! I am so very sorry. Thank goodness the family were safe.
I'm with Jmitch. I don't mind writing about fires, murder and mayhem when it's just a story - but when it's the real thing... Image No way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 1:00 am 

If you are going to let your heart into the equation, you must be very careful. There is a point when you can be drawn in so far, you will suffer emotionally and psychologically.

The upside is, if you do the 'reporting' side using your heart as well as your head, you tend to see and hear things differently.

Two other media outlets were there today. I saw what they broadcast/published, and it was the usual facts and figures and short, clipped interviews. I saw other things which will end up in my story next week.

The other media saw a bunch of firefighters pointing hoses at the flames. I saw a little girl watching her house burn up and while she did, she held a little stuffed bear. I knew that bear came out of the big red fire truck and a firefighter had taken the time, in the middle of the destruction, to give it to her to hold and hug.

The other media interviewed the dad, found out everyone was okay and the family was insured, then moved on. I was there hours later, when the family returned to salvage what they could, and heard the dad say to me, "Right now, we need to go buy clothes. Tonight, I'll cry. Tomorrow too."

The other media were long gone, by hours, when the two firefighters went back into the house, to the upstairs, to check for spot fires. I was the only spectator left to see the two firemen throwing insulation and debris out the window, then stop and yell at the other firefighters on the street. I was the only one that saw a firefighter run to the house and stand under the window and only I saw the two inside gingerly drop something to the waiting hands of the dirty firefighter below.

I was there when that firefighter slowly walked up the driveway to where I stood and I saw him grin at the little treasure that was saved: a six-inch long, wooden fire truck -- one of the kids toys.

As much as it hurts to let my heart be part of the equation, I think as a writer I'm far better off for it.

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 1:40 am 

Ok, now I'm moved. That is what makes you a WRITER, not just a fact-collector.
You are really, really good at this Dave. I'd say more, but I have to go blow my nose. Something's got in my eye and I have to go hug my dog for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2005, 2:52 am 

Okay folks, now that Writerdave has us all crying for the poor family... let's change the topic.

I'm fed up. I'm sick of reading arrogant, condescending writers guidelines and then when you get to the pay it's $20 or some ridiculous figure (which they pay on publication) . They want perfect, top of the range writing that follows their convuluted rules and pay crap. What's up with these editors anyway?

I have this woman I submitted a query, she responded with a fragmented sentence, no greeting no signing off- "send clips". I did as I was ordered and I get another fragmented sentence- " send article in word format". Am I writing on spec - which their guidelines did not say? No contract or formal agreement? Why be so rude? Is she the only person who's busy?

ARGHH!!! Willow- give me anything that will numb this aching mind.

http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 417  Next