Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 22nd, 2017, 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417  Next
PostPosted: January 5th, 2011, 7:10 pm 

Thanks Ms Karen, I feel better now. Nothing like a good grovel to cheer a girl up. :)

I should put my web/blog address permanently at the bottom of my posts like you guys do, but I don't know how to do it. What do I click on to change my set-up? I've looked for "Profile Page" but there's nothing recognisable.

I'm sorry to hear about your work situation. No one should be unsafe in their work place. I'd sort 'em out for you, mate, but I can't afford the air-fare right at the moment. I'm directing 'leave-Karen-alone-you-mongrel' vibes to them, right now. I hope they're afraid.

The weather sure is weird, hey? You northerners are covered in 'refusing-to-melt' snow and we're getting too much water, or too much sun. Big chunks of ice are breaking off from the antarctic ice-shelf. Some of the bergs are as big as some African countries! Methinks the weather is going to stay weird.

Hey let's list songs with the theme: weather. Here's a few to get started.
I can't stand the rain.
Raindrops keep falling on my head.
Stormy weather
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.
White Christmas...

PostPosted: January 8th, 2011, 10:02 am 

**Willow jumps on the bar with her 6 inch stelleto boots and shakes her groove thang as she dances** WOOT WOOT

Wish I could say I've been on some wild foreign country excursion but....just work and work and work! How's everyone, whose still here, catch me up!!

Brief version--2nd ed of Women Who Love Psychopaths has been out. In less than a year I sold out of the books I had ordered. Now on round two. Signed up with Amazon who is selling them pretty well (sales continue to go up every few months, up to over a case of books a month with them). And just finished up a contract with Barnes & Noble for them to carry it. It's also sold in an ebook format on my website. Have added cds, dvds, and other products, a retreat center, and have done a number of conferences for mental health professionals. 2011 am working on my speaking tour more and less of counseling.

The Dangerous Man (FINALLLYYY) has come out in another language. Had the first foreign rights sale (Book has been out since 2005 don't know what is taking them so long!) in Japanese. I just signed the psychopath book up for foreign rights marketing with Bob Erdmann and feeling good that it will sell.

The psychopath book has become the 'bible' in many ways for treatment and survivor education. This year alone I have reviewed or wrote book jacket blurbs for 5 books that quoted the psychopath book so we are SLOWLY climbing up the food chain of being recognized in the field. The latest book coming out is by an academic publisher so maybe that will push us a little further up.

Last year starting writing for Psychology Today Online (maybe I mentioned that?) and a few other blogs. I continue to put out my weekly newsletter and our magazine has grown a bunch! (www.saferelationshipsmagazine.com). This year I spoke at End Violence Against Women (EVAW), as well as San Diego University (for the Psychologist Assn) and Pepperdine Univ. 2011 hoping to kick that up a notch. Anyway, needless to say I'm TIRED!!

Hoping 2011 allows me to focus more on the professional education arena through conferences and am going to start our own web channel so stay tuned. Let me know what everyone else is doing!! HUGS, Willow (Crank up that juke box and let's shake it!)

PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 6:07 am 

Wow Willow congrats on all fronts!!! Really great news. I know how you had so many problems at the beginning of your publishing journey glad to see things have come right.

Am I the only one who feels frustrated by the new way things are going here at WW? With comments being moderated in slow motion it is impossible to have a discussion on here anymore. You gert an answer after a week and you've moved on.

http://thoughtsfrombotswana.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 12:42 pm 

It is frustrating. It is really frustrating to not have all the people we did participating. Seems everyone moved somewhere and didn't leave a forwarding address. The party animals are even gone - like the goat. Wish everyone could come back and join the family again. We didn't even do Christmas cards.

Bonita

PostPosted: January 27th, 2011, 4:37 pm 

Hi all,

I will try to approve messages faster. I approve them in batches during the day. We moved to a moderated forum because of the high number of adult-themed ads (spammers) that have been pinging us. About half the messages submitted are spam now. :(

We'd like to keep it clean and a high quality forum, which is why we moderate it heavily now. :)

Hugs,
Angela

PostPosted: February 23rd, 2011, 7:34 pm 

I have to admit...this forum has a very different feel from most I've been on. It seems like it has great members, but those members are a little bit tied down, and I've seen forums die from lack of movement (likewise, too much movement is deadly to quality!).

I can certainly see the need for comment approval, but part of me also wonders if there's not a better solution? Angela - you're a busy-as-heck woman, after all! :)

I really really hope no one takes any of this the wrong way - I'm completely new here, and it would be easy to see my message right here as trying to step on toes, but really I just like solving problems :) I like brainstorming...I'm the person in the office who uses non-name-brand refill systems in the printers to save money, and keeps the fax machine held together with a paper clip ;) It's just what I do.

That being said, the best forum I've ever been on relied heavily on a very small handful of hand-selected members with "leadership skillz" on the board to monitor activities in the various boards. There were a couple of mods for each "section" and it wasn't a micro-managed schedule or anything - just as the mods were available they would go through flagged comments and the like. Seeing it from both sides (a sort-of mod as well as regular user), whatever their methodology it worked way more often than it didn't, and the participants on the site were very active in maintaining the site's integrity by flagging what little spam did get through.

What's interesting to me about this forum is that the user-base is here...I can tell from reading just a few threads that there is the same kind of comraderie here as there is there. I can see that there are particular participants who are very well-respected and who add a level of respect to the place.

I also note that this forum does something I've never seen any other do: There is an application to get in, so to speak, and it'd be pretty hard to be a bot and get past it! It impressed me when I saw it, and it's one of the reasons I applied. Depending on how rigourously this application process is adhered to...I wonder if there is as much need for both it and moderating comments?

I've noticed at other like-moderated forums that the user activity is based in large part on how often comments are approved. Even once a day means each person who visits the forum really only needs to check back that same amount - once a day. -That- much restriction puts a restraint on quality to a degree: It sounds like a few users have moved on to somewhere else, and it sounds like those users were respected and added to the community. Not allowing more freedom of movement means many quality contributors won't stick around and it is those people who set the "tone" for the forum.

I really really like this forum - a lot. I hope for it to be a second home :) It has such a great feel to it! But I remember years ago checking in here (not as a member) and looking at the interviews request section and it was constantly in motion! Now...the other day I responded to something because I assumed it couldn't have been posted outside of a few days ago because it was so close to the top of the list...it had been posted more than a month ago.

Love it here! It just feels a little ghost-towny.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out 'round here. I"m not afraid of janitorial work ;) (I do, however, hate taking the time to change a " to a '. Won't do it! I refuse!)
/observations :)

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 9:49 am 

Hi Willow - I'd like a dirty martini please.

I'm new to the forum, so I guess the next round is on me - free drinks all round bartender :)

Karl

PostPosted: March 17th, 2011, 3:47 pm 

I need a double. I'm now spending more time trying to promote my writing than actually writing. That is just so depressing.

PostPosted: March 18th, 2011, 8:48 pm 

Welcome to the Martini Bar, Karl.

It's a little quiet, but I'll take you up on your offer of a drink.

What's in your writing bucket? Fiction? Magazine articles? Poetry? Tell-all books about adolescent twits who think they can sing and somehow make it big because of the internet, while true talent languishes in the background because true talent believes in going through proper channels and not throwing themselves at the feet of the intellectually stunted masses who wallow in their own filth while idolizing "reality" television "stars"...

What? Sorry. Man, I REALLY need that drink right now...No, I'm fine. I'm just a little tired of foolish parents and their ill-mannered offspring, and the part that REALLY annoys me is that I can't even write a book about it without someone wanting to sue me for what little I have and...

WHAT?!?

Yeah, ok. Sorry. So, Karl, welcome to Willow's. Have a seat and don't mind the goat. Or the penguin. And please pass that bottle this way...

http://anovelplace.wordpress.com/

http://lifeinthedykelane.blogspot.com

PostPosted: June 8th, 2011, 4:23 pm 

Where is everyone? You'd better get back here. There is dust on the bottles behind the bar. There are mice tracks in the dust on the floor and the light company left a nasty note on the door about turning out the lights. Remember - that will also close down the music and there will be no more table dancing! I hate drinking alone!

PostPosted: June 10th, 2011, 10:55 pm 

seven more work days and I'll be free for the summer. I miss my online, uh, life...?

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2011, 10:26 pm 

Hi ho everybody! I'll just brush the dust off a barstool...that's better. I know it's been a while since I've stuck my head in here. I've been pretty busy editing, reviewing, writing etc. And, I'll admit it, once I've visited on facebook I've had enough of the internet for the day. Shame on me.

Greetings to the newcomers, who are probably now the regulars! I found this forum such a warm, supportive place to be over the years and I hope that's the case for you, too. The time lapse between posts and replies was a little off-putting; it certainly slowed the conversation down. But I hear what Angela says about spammers. Since I've started a blog I've been beseiged. I can't think what good it does them because I always bounce them straight back. But they're persistent blighters!

I'll try to visit more often...honest.
Wendy (www.wendynoble.com)

PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 2:00 pm 

Wendy!
It's been so long - I'm glad you are back. Keep checking in. Doesn't take long to say hello and have a sip (or more) and watch me fall off the stool from way to much - whatever. I'll blame the falling on my eye surgery - I can't judge distance - except to the glass!

PostPosted: November 8th, 2011, 9:21 pm 

I am here.

I have not one goat, but FOUR goats.

I also have a new dustbunny named Max Tuttle.

I have not been writing, but am feeling oh-so-melancholy tonight and my muse needs a good ole WW par-tay at Willow's Bar. I have new blue phrog pajamas, but no stiletto heels. Which is... a good thing.

Can someone please get me a hard drink? Ya know, something like a flaming r-r-r-r-rum punch!

http://groovybell.blogspot.com/

and

http://groovytrekkers.blogspot.com/

Now I Squidoo!!!
http://www.squidoo.com/lensmasters/groovyoldlady

PostPosted: November 9th, 2011, 6:44 pm 

Hey Groovy! Here's yer flamin' rum punch. Don't you worry, I'm sure those eyebrows will grow back in no time.

Sorry you're feeling as blue as the phrogs, hope things start lifting for you soon. Are you still using your light? Let's get a party started in here. The holidays are coming and I'm sure not ready for them, but a pre-chaos party might get me in the mood.

I'm doing NaNoWriMo again this year, although I'm not sure I'll be able to finish. Long story short, ISP tech guy came to the house to fix the service and dropped my open laptop onto the hardwood floor. Didn't even bother to apologize.

Now the poor beastie erases things and I'm worried about my manuscript.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 413, 414, 415, 416, 417  Next