Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently May 28th, 2017, 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 6th, 2004, 8:38 am 
Site Admin

Below are links to the backgrounds of all the Freelance Forum members.

http://forums.writersweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=1823

and

http://forums.writersweekly.com/viewtopic.php?t=2020

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2004, 9:40 am 

For the summerised version: Don't trust any of them if they come within fifteen feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2004, 4:43 pm 

The second link is the link to "resources for a writer's craft"...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 6th, 2004, 4:51 pm 

Thanks, Angela! This is great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 24th, 2004, 12:10 pm 

Hi Angela,
I think you do a great job in helping writers achieve their goal. Your message has always been one of empowerment to all who try to express thenselves with words.

I'm a writer/photojournalist down here in southern Maine, Norway- South Paris area, and it's nice to know you're doing well following your dream in this beautiful state.
TomA

We are all unique and creative persons...write on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2005, 1:39 pm 

Angela has moved this post to the appropriate topic:
Cathy C

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:48 pm Post subject: Cathy's Introduction!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remember, since you suggested I post here -- it's your own fault for the length! LOL!

My name is Cathy Clamp and I'm an American, living in the beautiful Texas Hill Country (our version of mountains -- not very tall, but very pretty.) I've been a writer and author for about 7 years now. What's the difference between them? Well, I write magazine and newspaper articles for outdoor (hunting/fishing) magazines, including some national rags like Guns & Ammo, Deer & Deer Hunting, Fur-Fish-Game and Game & Fish. (my "writing" side) I'm also a published co-author of three novels (my "author" side). I write everything with a super co-author. We're a great team! Our first book is an historical fiction about the railroad age in Colorado. That's published with a small press and has sold a couple thousand copies. The next one is a paranormal romance with Tor/Forge Books (called St. Martin's Press in Europe. In the U.S., SMP and Tor are two different companies). It just hit the stands in December and is doing REALLY well! Take that to mean that it's almost sold out the first print run! Yay! It's been nominated for several awards and the publisher is very happy. Our third book is the sequel to the paranormal romance and will be out in August of this year. I also have a short mystery in an anthology that will be out in April.

I am writing full-time now, but spent the past 20 years as a certified paralegal in real estate and intellectual property, so you might see me chime in on copyright or legal questions (understanding that I'm not an attorney, of course!) If you Google my name, you'll come up with all sorts of weird real estate things from Colorado -- title officer, planning & zoning commissioner, speaker for the Colorado Bar Assoc., etc.

I like to help new writers, and do critiques of short things, judge contests and the like. I did all of the stuff on our website, which is at: http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com. I'm not really good yet, but I'm learning. We have excerpts of our books and an on-going section with articles about publishing and promoting. Oh! I'm a GREAT promoter/marketer. I love doing that sort of stuff and have lots of great ideas -- which is WHY we sold out the first print run! LOL!

Well, you're probably sick of me by now, so I'll ring off! Nice to meet you all (in a manner of speaking from reading your entries here!) and I'll see you around... :D

Cathy
Hunter's Moon, Tor Books (12/04)
Moon's Web, Tor Books (8/05)

Cathy C

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:52 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm! This wasn't supposed to post here! I was in the Roll Call thread when I started. Moderator, can you move this over there? Sorry, all!
Hunter's Moon, Tor Books (12/04)
Moon's Web, Tor Books (8/05)

Mayntz

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:53 pm Post subject:

Aw, don't worry about it -- welcome welcome welcome, wherever you want to be! :)

daoine

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:03 pm Post subject:

Welcome Cathy! I'm sure a few of us will want to pick your legal and marketing brains!

http://www.hearwritenow.com/w4w.htm

zubbycat

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:26 pm Post subject:

Yes, welcome!! Glad you could join us!

zubbycat :)

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2005, 5:12 pm 

As a new member to this forum, I thought a quick introduction would be appropriate.
I am Kate Copsey, but go by Katy or Kate, or even kt.
We are currently in Pittsburgh, Pa, but have lived in several states over the past 20 yrs courtesy corporate America.
We have 4 boys - 2 college age and 2 elementary, which I think gives me enough background to enter into the family/child rearing/education writing arena. Our youngest has Apsergers, which also leads me into articles on special needs and learning problems etc. etc. (I hope).
I currently write regular articles for a newpaper in N. Virginia and the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, on gardening topics. I did my first national magazine article 2 months ago and have a second due at the end of September.
I also have a book contract that was supposed to have the draft finished by spring 05, but is nowhere close to that. I found writing a 1500 word article vs. a book is a very different scenario. I was doing way to much research (more than for a Masters thesis) and that was just for the first chapter!
I hope to learn and benefit from this forum, and perhaps help occasionally.

Post subject: Introducing Steven King
PostPosted: November 15th, 2005, 11:34 am 

I'm sure that stimulated a *little* interest in this posting...

People frequently say, "Wow, just like the author!" when they hear my name. Usually, tongue-in-cheek, I'll quip, "No...you're the first to make that connection." :D

I am a happily married, formerly divorced, father of three who is on the downslope of a career in the US Army. Only three months to go as I can not fully endorse the "I-agree-to-be-deployed-every-other-year" mentality which currently pervades service in the US Army.

Educationally, my undergraduate experience is religious in nature. I completed some seminary after graduating in 1996. Fate brought me back to the US Army in 1999, and subsequent to my medical training, I earned my MBA in Healthcare Management.

To date, I have published two articles and I am looking for more opportunities. I am considering the syndicated columnist route (...eyeing that .pdf purchase heavily Angela...) or just more periodical submission in an attempt to pad the income. I have a novel idea looming in me - but my writing tends to be very tight and I do not write enough currently to help me loosen up.

My life has brought me to this forum and I hope to network for good opportunities and to inspire success in those around me.

Onward and upward in this high calling of the pen.

I remain,
Steven King
aka The Kingster
http://www.myspace.com/loverofeagles

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 6:47 am 

Hello Everyone;
I hate to talk about myself but it was suggested that I should tell a bit so here is a bit. (The following is primarily non-fiction.)
I am Male which you may have guessed from things I have written.
I was born far too long ago (1954) so I am the very tail end of the boomers.
I had that perfect childhood the all shrinks say is impossible. I come from a farming family. But since we grew strawberries, tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit (I have no idea why it is called that.) etc. we I lived in a farm environment but we were close to the city. (San Bernardino, CA) Also both of my parents have college degrees. So there was no bumpkin effect.
There was nothing exceptional about elementary or junior high. The high school I went to had terrible problems with racial conflicts and there were race riots 1 or 2 times every year that I was there. It was also the time of the Vietnam War (or non- war depending on your perspective of reality.) So we also had anti-war riots to fill in the dull spaces between. I did drugs it didn’t hurt me and in fact I got better grades during my drug years. I never injected anything. I still believe very strongly that the only way to effectively combat the “war on drugs” that could possibly work is to legalize them, yes all of them. I also believe that prostitution should be legal. Those two things go hand in hand, OK so its not really her hand but you get the idea.
I loved to write when I was young but unfortunately I have none of it left. Even my yearbook, that had a couple of my poems in it, was destroyed in a flood in the early 80s.
I took some time away from writing for work and such, about 35 years. In 1997 I started to write a novel but changed jobs when I sold my company to a larger one and went to work there. As I was cleaning out my office when I left that company after 10 years I was tossing out files that were either out of date or product concepts that had been dropped. (I did R&D development and production processes.) As I was tossing 1 old beat up folder in the trash bin I paused to look inside and there it was, the beginnings of my book. About 40 pages written long before there were any computers, even the Wang had yet to be booted.
Now I am retired on a medical problem so I have lots of time to write. But I get very little money so I started living in 3rd world countries where one can enjoy a reasonable standard of living for little money. I have lived in Panama, too hot and humid. Colombia, Medellin is one of my favorite places in the world and the weather is perfect year around. No I live in China, First in the southernmost city of San Ya which is a lot like Hawaii, and currently in Chengdu.
As for my interest in writing; I am hopping to get into freelance writing to make some money to supplement my income and of course to finish my novel.
Any questions?
OK you can wake up now it is over

PostPosted: January 6th, 2009, 11:13 am 

My name is Sharon. I have been writing for my local paper, in The Living section, for about 9 years now. My articles center around food, family, health, and living with diabetes.

I am a widow with 4 grown children, all of which now live on the West Coast, except for the youngest who has been unable to untie the apron strings as yet. Even though I keep loosening them.

I was severed from my job in March of this year due to foreign trade and was lucky enough to get a grant for college from the federal government to complete my degree,which I have been working on since 2001. the degree is in business management/marketing.

I joined the forum to get some input on finding freelance jobs, because writing is what I would really love to be doing for a living. I read ,Peter Bower's, The Well Fed Writer,
a while ago and perhaps I should read it again.
Nice to meet everyone.[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 8:19 pm 

Very interesting, Sharon. Good for you for picking yourself up after losing your job, and doing something positive with your life. I wish you all the very best.

I'm just wondering where some of the former Forumites have gone. Maybe they've all achieved fame and fortune and can no longer spare the time to visit. I've heard it happens.

Post subject: Intro
PostPosted: October 6th, 2010, 6:39 am 

Hi my name is Jo-Anne Russell and I am a write-a-holic.
I freelance, write children's picture books and supernatural/horror/ sci-fi novels for adults. I am currently finishing my first novel with the second in the works.
I have published poetry and articles, and have written features for the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, (C.N.I.B.). My latest publication was in the summer 2010 issue of Dialogue Magazine. I am a mother of eight, married and I am legally blind.
I love this site and I look forward to meeting many of you!

PostPosted: January 9th, 2011, 9:51 pm 

I do hope this is the right place for this post.

My name is Traci. I'm from a little town north of Detroit called Royal Oak. During the day I function as the supervisor for the A/R department and quasi-assistant to the CFO. A few years ago I started a novel which had been put aside for a variety of personal reasons. I've written handbooks, department manuals and guides for employers over the years, had a few letters published (I was excited even if nobody else was!), and in recent months maintained a couple of blogs (and small stuff in between). My friends and family have urged me to pick up writing again, and this is why I'm here.

PostPosted: January 12th, 2011, 1:35 pm 

Hello, everyone!

My name is Julie and I'm a Chicago-area freelance writer and editor. I've spent the last eight years or so writing primarily about healthcare, human resources, and business issues, but I recently copyedited a couple of novels (one really good, one really...not) and that rekindled my desire to write fiction again. I've written a few small pieces, but I'm feeling that the years of writing about such dry subjects have given me some brain-freeze, so I'm hoping that communicating with other writers will help blow out some of those cobwebs!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 4:09 am 

Hello everyone,
My name is kevin, and i m working with a academic writing service freelance. I m newbie here. happy to see you all.