Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Business stuff...
PostPosted: September 1st, 2004, 12:45 pm 

I'm Bill...a SINGLE father of three teenaged sons (they live with me full time) who has been working full time, from HOME, as a writer since 1988!!!

Primarily I write on business subjects...covering everything from hard-core derivative instruments and accounting regulations to softer topics like one to one marketing and business strategy. (I was the ghost writer for a NY Times best-selling marketing duo for four years.) I also give rubber-chicken circuit speeches and occasionally design/present workshops.

These days? I'm branching out...just wrote a piece on the 50th anniversary of the C-130 airframe (the Herc is an AMAZING aircraft!!!)...and I'm about to pitch a few ideas to a number of horse magazines. No, they don't pay as well as the business press, but they're fun to write.

That's about it...
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2004, 10:12 pm 

Welcome bill!

I don't know what's braver -- that you're a writer or that you are alone with three teenaged sons. (Article idea!!)

writerdave

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2004, 7:44 pm 

Hello, all!

I've enjoyed reading about all of you. My name is Elizabeth, but y'all can call me Beth. I recently did it...I quit my job at Southwest Airlines to be a full time mom (my boy is 3 months old) and write. Most of my credits are non-fiction and some humor. So far I am very pleased with what going full time has brought. It has also led me into some writing areas I never considered and the pay just keeps getting better!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2004, 9:12 pm 

double post, sorry!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2004, 9:13 pm 

Hello all!
I'm a 26 year old female living in Montreal, Canada who's just starting out as a writer/editor. It's tough to find work here in Montreal as it is primarily French, but I'm hoping to carve out a little niche for myself. I have a big interview this coming Wednesday for a copy editor position at a big website... don't want to mention which one just yet, I fear I may jinx myself. I have been doing odd jobs since graduating from McGill University in 2001 with an English degree when I suddenly realized I should put it to better use. I am not so much a creative/fiction writer as much as I am a writer that enjoys writing non-fiction creatively. I like fun, short information pieces. I may return to school and do some journalism courses if my job search is fruitless, or I may take the plunge and start my own business... it's all up in the air at the moment! Great to meet you all and I'm looking forward to participating actively on the board. Take care!
Sarah

Post subject: New Girl
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2004, 11:07 pm 

Hello, my name is Tonya. Yeah just like my nic. I 22yrs. old. I have a son who will be 2 in november. I am a stay at home mom and author. My first book to be published will be out November 7th. I found that out today. I am a scorpio, so i just stay in my corner of the world here in Devine, Texas. Not originaly from here. My home state is NY. But as things came to pass in my life i came to Texas. Sorry, i ramble when i get nervous. But I wanted to post a reply. I am still new to writers weekly. Well you all take care and god bless you with your dreams.
Tonya

Post subject: Re: New Girl
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2004, 2:24 pm 

TonyaR wrote:
Hello, my name is Tonya. Yeah just like my nic. I 22yrs. old. I have a son who will be 2 in november. I am a stay at home mom and author. My first book to be published will be out November 7th. I found that out today. I am a scorpio, so i just stay in my corner of the world here in Devine, Texas. Not originaly from here. My home state is NY. But as things came to pass in my life i came to Texas. Sorry, i ramble when i get nervous. But I wanted to post a reply. I am still new to writers weekly. Well you all take care and god bless you with your dreams.
Tonya

Nervous? At us? Whatever could make you fee...ehh....*puts away baseball bat and address book*....it's for naughty writers and editors only, I swear.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2004, 8:16 pm 

Yep, Tonya. Nothing to be frightened of here - well, apart from Krupp (and being a Dubliner, he can easily be placated by a couple of pints of Guinness.)

Cheers,
aq

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2004, 11:33 am 

Hey everyone,

I'm a long-time lurker, first-time poster. Decided to take the plunge today while procrastinating a bit. (Funny how that happens, eh?)

Me: full-time freelancer in Canada. Thought graduating from a respected journalism school would lead to great job offers around the world - oh, how quickly reality set in. So now, working my butt off in attempts to crack the Big Markets. Slowly but surely...

Post subject: Thank you
PostPosted: September 4th, 2004, 9:56 pm 

Heelo again, It's me Tonya. Pretty hard to guess with my nic, huh? Anywho, thank you for making me smile. I've had a frustrating time with the scam of agent things so I needed it. Well if anyone likes to gab, feel free to email me or post something on my guestbook. the longest wait time to hear back from me up to two days minimum. well take care. Ive got fun fun fun research to do......
BLA!! Its like school.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2004, 4:28 pm 

~~~BUMP~~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2004, 5:22 am 

Hi guys. :)

I've been posting fairly regularly for a few months now and I guess I can introduce myself...LOL
I'm 33 and a freelancer in my :!: spare :?: time here in TN. I work 40 hours a week in a distribution center, have two daughters of my own and live with my b/f and his son. Ages of kids are: 15 (almost), 13 and 7 (let's not forget about the 35 yr old b/f). I also tend to the bird, cat, dog and fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2004, 6:27 am 

I guess I'll join in the fun. :-)

I'm 35 years old (today ... yay!) I only started writing at the beginning of this year. I have no formal training and got my first 'gig' by offering to write a free column for a local magazine. That particular magazine now pays me and I have a regular column in a local newspaper too.

I've been reading lots of books on the art of writing and I'm just in the middle of a Barnes and Noble free online course with which I'm very impressed.

I'm now gaining in confidence and I feel ready to face the world. Watch out all editors ... here I come!

I'm from the UK but moved to Spain with my partner 2 years ago. I've just sold my business in the Uk and I'm now ready to become a full-time freelance writer.
I'm also working on a book.

Proposal to be drawn up today ... (gulp) I'd best get to work ... take care all. x

Btw, I LOVE this site. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2004, 11:50 am 

Happy Birthday, Daydreamer!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 21st, 2004, 3:03 pm 

Aww thanks. *blush*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 23  Next