Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently December 20th, 2014, 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: My Turn
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2004, 1:32 pm 

First, I what a terrific group. Diverse, global and supportive.

Born and bred in the San Francisco Bay area, my roots run deep. My first paying job was for a local newspaper. I wrote a weekly column, About the Campus, and earned a whooping $.25/inch. You got it. At those wages, I never missed a deadline! And yeah, it was a while back.

My speciality is humor. My first novel, No More Bobs, is a lighthearted mystery. A humor columnist for Inside Livermore Valley magazine, a hard copy publication in the SF Bay Area, I'm currently working on my second novel, To Serve Duck.

In between paychecks, say what? I'm a rogue, part of a writer's personality. I teach health and fitness workshops, moderate a writer's group and participate in as many focus studies that will take me. A check in the hand and a free sandwich - a guarantee and a lot less work!

It's wonderful to be in a place of like-minds.

Cynthia

http://www.cynthiaborris.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2004, 12:08 am 

Hi all! These forum boards are so inspirational!

I've been a jouranlist for 10 years and jumped into the freelance foray in 2000. I write for a few national pubs and a few regional ones as well and have a fulltime job as an editor for a tourist mag. I have yet to jump fulltime into freelancing, but am looking to start a family soon and am so happy there are so many out there making it as WAHM. It's a scary thought to work from home without that day job I've had so long.

I'm starting a website for freelancers in my area so as to help others gain ground in this field.

So, that's me.

Kim
vegaswriter.com

Post subject: Wow
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2004, 8:31 am 

I'm impressed. Such a diverse group of talent on one board. I'm proud to be in such good company.

After reading all these other posts (yes, I read every one) I decided I wanted to play too. I'm new to the boards, but not to Writer's Weekly. I've been a subscriber for several years.

My name is Robin and I'm a fulltime freelance journalist and magazine feature writer. I write print journalism and features for the most part, in local, regional and national publications. I also do quite a bit of online work. I've been writing professionally for about 15 years now. I started as a freelancer part time then did my stint as a staff reporter for a mid sized daily newspaper. I went back to freelancing, on a fulltime basis, about five years ago. I'm a history buff and I'm currently working on self syndication of a history column as well.

I'm also a writing instructor, both live and online workshops. Although my online workshops are on indefinate hiatus, I still conduct live workshops for a vocational program with the local parks and recreation department and starting next summer I'll be taking the show on the road. I'll be conducting workshops at conferences and writing seminars in a "city near you" soon, thanks to Angela Hoy and her wonderful advice.

I also regularly write articles on the subject of freelance writing that have appeared in publications as far away as New Zealand (that's pretty far from Nebraska) including an article for Writer's Weekly last year called "Breaking the Rejection Cycle." My current project in that arena is putting together a book on the subject of freelance writing.

That's what I do for a living...for me I write fiction and poetry. When I was ten years old I wanted to be Agatha Christie, Rex Stout, Elizabeth Barrett Browning and Emily Dickenson all rolled into one with a just a touch of Rudyard Kipling thrown in. As the years progressed I added names like Tolkein, Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Higgens-Clarke, Ludlum, Cornwell...the list goes on. Needless to say, I never reached that lofty goal.

I have submitted and published a few short stories and a few poems, but for the most part, no one ever sees that side of my work. I'm gutless. I've written three novels and a ton of short stories that no one has ever laid eyes on and I've been writing "private" poetry for as long as I've been writing. One of these years I might pull out the old manuscripts, blow the dust off of them and put them to use. Maybe.

Over the course of my professional career I've collected enough rejection slips to paper my walls and they don't even phase me anymore, but I have no guts for submitting my fiction. Go figure.

Enough about me, who's next?

Post subject: Me
PostPosted: April 27th, 2004, 5:56 am 

Hello all!

I am a writer/photographer from the Detroit area. I am married to a musician, with two children, both boys, 3 and 13. I have written many articles for magazines. I even do a little song writing for my husband and his band. I take promo pics for local musicians. I used to work in photography studios, but no more, I hate working for people. Now I work in the comfort of my home. I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a very sucky chronic pain condition, so I don't get to do as much photography, not as much as I would like. When I have a good day, I will....no pain. I have more time for writing though.
oh... lets see, I am 32 years old. uh.... what else. Right now, I am starting my first novel.
Can't think of anything else to tell ya, so I will end this by saying... I am very happy that I stubbled upon this site. You all are a great bunch of people.

Jodie

Post subject: Roll call?
PostPosted: April 27th, 2004, 8:56 am 

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting my CV. (Wonder if anyone will read this far?)

I'm Carol, and I live in Chicago. I've been a published writer since I was a teenager, when the local weekly newspaper decided they would run my column on the musings of a high school freshman. (I can't read them now; ugh, the embarrassment!) After college, I was a newspaper reporter for 10 years, then quit to have babies, then returned to work after the divorce. I started working for a trade magazine because the hours were good for a working mom with kids in school and day care. But I didn't enjoy that, and I drifted into food writing and have been there ever since.

I began freelancing as a cookbook editor in 1995 and abandoned full-time employment in 1997 to concentrate on my freelance business. For several years, I made a living editing cookbooks and writing articles on food, nutrition and alternative medicine. But I'll tackle anything. I consider myself more of a journalist than a creative writer. I never wanted to try fiction until recently, when I discovered there was a story I wanted to put on paper. (Is that the way it happens? This story seems to be writing itself...)

I had to seek full-time employment in 2000, when the work I was doing for my one and only client (he paid well) ended months before I expected it to. (Big lesson learned: Never ever have only one client.) I had no work for months, and, with a kid in college and a mortgage, I had to find a job. So I'm back editing food magazines and yearning to breathe free again. The corporate atmosphere at this place is a toxic one, so I am getting my ducks in a row, so to speak, so that I can resign very very soon and resume freelancing.

I am so pleased to have found this group. You're a terrific bunch.

Carol

Post subject: ~~BUMP~~
PostPosted: July 4th, 2004, 1:26 pm 

~~BUMP~~ for the benefit of recent discoverers of this forum.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 4th, 2004, 2:24 pm 

How cool. Didn't know this thread was here.

My name is Lisa. Live in Toronto (obviously). I'm married and have a ten-month-old son. I've been on mat. leave for the past year and have seriously pushed freelance writing so I didn't have to go back to my nine-to-fiver and be away from my boy.

Luckily, I've just been hired part-time as the manager of communications and development for a small non-profit organization and will continue to freelance as well. My writing goals are to do light non-fiction for parenting/chidlrens' mags as well as more research-oriented non-fiction for newspapers, magazines.

Glad to have met all of you in the last few months. Your support and advice has been wonderful.

Post subject: Thanks for the bump
PostPosted: July 4th, 2004, 2:38 pm 

I wondered if there was a thread about this - I missed it the first time around.

My name is Rachel, and I work full time for a non-profit business advocacy organization. I also coordinate a customer service recognition program, and between the two, write a fair amount of copy, media releases, and letters.

I also freelance for a few local publications, writing business profiles, and tourism copy. I am in the midst of finalizing a ghost writing contract, and working with a woman on a biographical self-help type book.

I write fiction. I have one novel in the first edit stage, as well as several others waiting in the wings. I also enjoy writing short stories, because I tend to have a short attention span.

I am a single parent, and am highly involved in the local Women in Business group, as well as a few other social organizations in town.

I really enjoy being here, and tend to spend at least one block of time each day coming here to check the board.

Rachel

Post subject: Introductions
PostPosted: July 4th, 2004, 6:17 pm 

Hi-I'm Sandy. I am a clinically trained psychotherapist, hypnotherapist, and previous non-profit agency manager. I come from an arts based family so felt the pressure early to do something creative. I chose writing since no one else in my family did it (nix the competition!). I have been writing since childhood. It's what I did when I got grounded. But it all turned out pretty well!

I sold my first clinical counseling book in 1991 (Counseling Victims of Violence). Then a christian humor essay & devotional on theology and rock & roll due out this year, and now a mass market book, workbook, curriculum (and am thinking of a product line) on How to Spot a Dangerous Man. And alas, my book from 1991 on counseling is being redone in a 2nd edition for 2005. In the past I have written brochures, psychiatric program manuals, grants, and other promotional items mostly for the mental health field.

Shortly after the sale of my theology/rock & roll book, I left mental health for good and came home to write full time. I live in beautiful western NC on the side of the mountain facing the Blue Ridge Mountains and Pisgah National Forest. Oh, hurt me!

PostPosted: July 5th, 2004, 1:45 am 

Many thanks, Dave, for bumping this thread to the top of the list. I'm pretty good at lurking here, but not so much at posting. I visit the forum every day and have happily discovered that I learn something useful or read something inspiring each time I drop by--so thanks to all of you for that. I'm 30, an adjunct English professor, mother of a painfully bright and active 3-yr-old (she began correcting my grammar at age 2-1/2), wife of a brilliant and brooding medievalist, writer of stories for my daughter and my own sanity. I delve into nonfiction when the spirit moves me, but I mostly prefer to make stuff up.

I'd go on, but my laptop is burning my legs and I'm hot enough as it is. We're putting an addition on our house and had to disconnect the compressor for the AC a week ago last Thursday. I sure hope we can get it hooked up temporarily in the next day or two--although the story of the addition-building process is much enhanced by the absence of climate control. And my marriage is enhanced by my having to walk around clad scantily . . . ;)

S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 5th, 2004, 8:40 am 

Okay, I'll take a moment away from production to say hello....

I'm Matt. I am married and have four children (Matt [16], Jessica [13], Christopher [10], Sara [5]. Our family website with some great reptile and pictures of AZ can be viewed here: http://www.cbtoolkit.com/MoranClan

I am a business & technology consultant. Sold my company in 2001 and became part of a larger organization. I walked away after 7 months. I had a dream where I watched my family die. I woke up and tried to tell my wife but she thought I was getting frisky and sent me away :cry:

I sat down and wrote an analysis of my life - rambling thoughts - and at the end determined I was not pursuing that thing that I had promised myself I would do from the time I was 7 - writing.

I left the company and equity behind. I wrote and sold several magazine articles on technology, business development, and professional (career) development. In that time I wrote a career manual for I.T. professionals - which I self-published as a workbook and then a more comprehensive book.

Three months ago it was purchased by an editor as Cisco Press and now I have my first publishing contract with advance :D and am frantically refining, rewriting, and adding content.

My second book, which started before the first, is a parental perspective on hyperactivity. Recently, it was referred to a literary agency who are reviewing a synopsis of it. Crossing my fingers on this one.

Once these two books are completed, I am starting a mystery loosely built on aspects of my grandmother's life - dropped at orphanage with a name, adopted by wealthy family - never accepted but financially cared for, hints of being fathered by a very-well connected politician in the early 1900's. We will see......

Post subject: Awesome Group
PostPosted: July 5th, 2004, 11:52 am 

Thanks Dave for bringing this forum back to the top of the list.

Welcome to the new posters. What an awesome group of writers! It is a pleasure being in company with like-minds.

Have a great day!

Cynthia

http://www.cynthiaborris.com

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: July 7th, 2004, 11:47 pm 

Today I have decided to stop lurking in the shadows of "wish I was a writer" and post a bit. (shy wave + embarrassed grin) When I see all you successes out there it gives me hope.
I'm Paula, I've come out of a long dry dull period and have begun writing and submitting again.
I have a BA in English, a wonderful husband, two cats, and three dogs. I wrote some highly praised regional literary fiction in college, but my true love is SF, which is going to be difficult to place. But it's a lot more fun than trying to resuscitate my old first novel.
Love and Luck,
Paula

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2004, 10:42 am 

Hi,
I'll pitch into the thread. I'm Pat(rick) and I've been a writer/editor/graphic artist for about 30 years. I've made a good living as an ad copy writer/artist, and the past few years as a contract technical writer/editor for various companies throughout the country. I am now semi-retired and working on what I want to. Published one POD sci-fi novel 'Toy Shadows' and working on second mystery/humor novel, 'Horse Races and Paint Stores'. I've had several short stories and poems published at various times and places. Because of my background I'm kicking around the idea of doing small feature articles about the local artisans. Might be interesting, although poetry and fiction are my first love...but little money in that.

That's it. That's me (sort a).
Pat

Post subject: Roll Call
PostPosted: July 8th, 2004, 11:12 am 

Well, I guess it is my turn. I’ve been on the list for a couple of months and I think it is a great list!. I’m a part-time librarian at a community college in Western NC, a part-time writer, a dad (of a three year old, best job in the world), and a photographer (not to mention husband, lawn maintenance man, house carpenter, mechanic, travel guide, garbage collector, etc.) The Civil War and Southern Appalachia is what I mostly write about and I’ve got two books under my belt, and a score of articles. My third book is currently under consideration. My goal is to give up the part time library job in the next year and just write full time (it helps to have a wife who is an English professor - I should of let her read this before I posted it!)

I have a new web page - www.michaelchardy.com I encourage you to check it out in a couple of days when I actually have some information on it.

Regards,
Michael C. Hardy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 23  Next