Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 24th, 2014, 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: January 24th, 2005, 10:06 pm 

A Leafs and a Habs fan getting along?? This is new to me! I'm a Leafs fan myself. What really confuses people about me is I'm also both a Calgary Flames fan and an Edmonton Oilers fan, and I like them both almost equally (with a slight lean in favour of the Oilers). I get some funny looks - I CAN'T be fans of both; I have to pick one! But I figure that since I don't live in Alberta I can have divided loyalties. LOL!

zubbycat :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2005, 1:31 am 

I've been a Leafs fan ever since Bobby Orr left Boston, but I also like the Senators. Is that possible? A friend of mine plays for Ottawa (or is supposed to be playing for Ottawa), so that's why I follow that team. Another friend's cousin plays for Montreal but I like him anyway.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2005, 7:16 am 

I have to admit that I like to watch Jerome Iginla play too...so I am a Calgary fan when Montreal is either not playing or out of the running. My son's room is an absolute shrine to the Leafs...I mean a shrine. It should be on display at the ACC. I get this funny not pleasant feeling when I walk in there. My brother was a Leaf fan too and growing up we fought about our rivalry constantly. Nobody can beat Dryden and LaFleur though...and that's who I watched growing up.

I love going to the ACC when Montreal is playing. We never miss that match. My son and I actually get into screaming matches! What a blast. The crowd is split down the middle too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2005, 6:08 am 

I'll add my name on, too.

My name is Mary and I'm an American mother of three who's been living in France for the last ten years. I'm just now starting to emerge from the baby phase of the kids and am seriously looking into what I had thought of doing ten years ago when I moved to France: writing about my surroundings and experiences.

My writing background is in theater -- lots of fun but not at all profitable! And I've translated lots of documents -- usually boring manuals--which is a very profitable living but not at all soul food.

Since I live in France, the number one tourist spot in the world, and I love to go on vacation, travel writing seems natural.

But there are many other subjects around me: food, wine, raising kids biculturally, social issues, etc.

For the moment I'm undecided but I'm making lists of places to pitch ideas.

I turn 40 this year and I'm happy to be in mature place where rejection no longer means a literal: you stink! Especially after having kids, I feel like I've got priorities in perspective.

It's a real inspiration to read everyone's bios. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Moritz

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2005, 6:56 pm 

Welcome, Mary! Glad to have you here!

Post subject: This is me...
PostPosted: January 26th, 2005, 9:15 pm 

Howdy! I'm Biff. Here's the background that was used by The Writers Chatroom where I recently gave a chat on using the Internet for marketing books:

I was born in Toronto about a thousand years ago. After surviving street gangs and 50's mediocrity, I moved to Winnipeg where I immediately died from exposure to wide-open-spaces. I woke up in my next life in Germany where I was making more than my father's military pay by selling duty free cigarettes, coffee and booze on the Black Market. My father was posted back to Canada just before a group of Spanish gangsters was going to kill my brother and I for ripping them off for 10,000 Deutsche Marks. Hey; we were kids. Bad kids.

We came to New Brunswick which, me being from Toronto, I always thought was a part of the USA. It's not. It's a province in Canada and it's a beautiful place. Lot's of canoeing rivers, trees, parks and the biggest potholes in the world, so big that entire Snow Bird convoys have been lost in the roads of New Brunswick.

Before leaving Germany, I spent all my hard-earned ill-gotten cash on Mod clothing...giant lushly-colored bell bottoms, flaring flowery shirts, paisley ties...all the latest in European fashion cuisine. Back in Canada, I walked into a school where Mod fashion was a white shirt with big red polka dots. I walked into the school with red, white and blue bell bottoms, a black flared sleeve and collar shirt with tiny pink and blue flowers, and a black tie with tiny pink flowers. I was laughed at wherever I went. After two days, I made the ultimate fashion statement, I dropped out of school.

After two years of mucking about with half-finished novels, paintings, a few itchy poems, and a lot of booze and wild women, I went back to school. By this time, I'd worn out my Mod clothing and was beginning to look more like the indigenous wildlife. They even let me be editor of the school newspaper.

I went to college in 1970. Somehow, through all the drugs and partying, I emerged at the other end of the university assembly line with an honors degree in English literature. To this day, I can barely remember a damn thing that happened during those four years. Except Gail. I remember you, Gail. And you too Denise. And...

...oh, the good old days.

After college it's all a big rush. Trips across the continent, jobs in universities, governments, software companies, radio stations, newspapers, and bars. I excelled at bartending by getting drunker than any of my customers and still being able to stand up and pour drinks, and I excelled at bouncing by using my martial arts skills to put trouble-makers out the door so gently that many of them asked if I could please tell them a story and tuck them into the cab. It was during those six years in the bar that I made thousands of pages of notes on people from all walks of life after seeing them, year-after-year, at their best and at their worst.

Those notes were crucial to my first novel, Heavy Load (available at eBookAd http://www.ebookad.com and CyberRead (http://www.cyberread.com/cr2/).

For the last 10 years, I've been working in the Information Technology industry, which inspired my second and third novels (Team Player...a spoof on the computer industry...available from Double Dragon Publishing in 2006 and The War Bug...a cyberthriller in which a man has hours to find his virtual family before the Internet collapses 200 years in the future...available in ebook format from Double Dragon and coming to bookstores throughout North America in June 2005).

Those thousands of pages of notes also inspired a volume of short stories and two books of poetry, all of which are available free on my web site at http://www.biffmitchell.com (and some in PDA format at Memoware.com http://www.memoware.com).

For the last five years, I've been working in marketing and sales in the IT industry. Believe me, these days IT is a hard sell. Almost as hard as selling a book. In both areas, I've tried a lot of things that have either worked well or been a complete bust.

As Gansheng Barto said: "No great product was ever greater than its marketing."

I have a free ebook called eMarketing Tools for Writers on my web site. You're welcome to download it.

www.biffmitchell.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2005, 1:30 pm 

I suppose I'd better hop onboard too. My name is Joe, and I'm a recent college graduate from Indianapolis. I'm married and expecting my first child any moment now. I have loved writing since second grade, when I wrote a Halloween story that horrified my teacher. I write for an Indy-based monthly outdoor mag called "Trap & Field" and I do weekly movie reviews for the local newsweekly "INtake," where I also do compile and edit weekly reviews of TV shows, video games, DVDs, books and CDs. I've also been known to do a feature or profile or two. In between I scavenge for other freelance opportunities, though I've only had one true sale to a small college publication about a year and a half ago. But my portfolio is growing, and I absolutely love what I'm doing! I'm really glad I found this forum and hope to be a part of it for a long time to come!

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2005, 6:15 pm 

Welcome, Biff and Joe! Glad to have you around!

Congrats on the upcoming baby, Joe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2005, 8:54 pm 

Nice to meet you all - and congrats on becoming a daddy, joe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2005, 3:09 pm 

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie here, so I'll set up my background. As I am elderly it may be a bit long, but I don't care!
I have nothing to hide; my full name is Leslie Roger Quilter and I have attempted to write for about twelve years with little success. I was born in London, England in 1930 and left for Canada in 1954 for frigid Regina where I completed my elactrical apprenticeship.
I live in balmy Victoria and I spent many years in the RCN and as an electrician.
I am married (53 years)and have two children and four grandchildren.
My main writing thrust is in humour (American spelling is humor)and I have had one novel rejected. I received a certificate for that novel which shows me to be female. As I was unaware of any change in my status I decided to write under the name, L. Roger Quilter.
I have twenty stories on another site and recently was published in an anthology.
Please excuse the rambling style, I will become more humourous later.
Cheers,
QBall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2005, 7:53 pm 

Welcome to the forum! I am very familiar with frigid Regina, and live not far from there in another frigid area. Glad to have you!

Post subject: Hello
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 11:31 pm 

Edited to remove personal info I found while googling myself five years after leaving this site. Oops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 10th, 2005, 11:48 pm 

Welcome, Cathy! Glad to have you join us!

Post subject: hi everyone!
PostPosted: February 16th, 2005, 7:45 pm 

thanks to davelevin who suggested that i introduce myself in this thread, roll call. I've got 2 kids, one is two and the other's 4 months old. i have a day job, doing research in a science agency. i also do freelance work, writing short stories for kids. i've been trying to get in into copyediting lately, but i gave up after doing test editing of two seven-paged articles, when they asked me to test edit a 'couple of more files from a different journal". An article from writersweekly on the bogus test editing confirmed my fears. Thanks for this kind of site where i get to learn a lot from people in the same trade.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2005, 10:46 pm 

Hi fellow comrades,

I'm Lisa Barr and I live in Aurora, Colorado--just minutes east of Denver, where I enjoy an unspoiled view of The Rocky Mountains.

I'm a freelance writer --I've been published in Networking Times, The Denver Post, In-Light Times, and others. I just got a gig freelance reporting for a local paper and also editing a new start-up called Spirit Talk, a magazine on holistic health and metaphysics.

My main interests are: alternative medicine, psychology, humor, self-help, travel, human interest, OP-EDs, personal essays, entertainment and business.

I'm writing a new column on personal and professional growth that I'm self-syndicating. I'm psyched--as It just got picked up by a mag in Australia!

I also love birdwatching, beautiful clothes, green tea, fresh flower arrangements, wheatgrass juice shots (followed by an apple juice chaser), exploring culture, travel, poetry, language, amusement parks, hosting dinner parties, collage, feng sui, spa-ing, swimming, snorkling, volleyball, collecting quotes and witty hillarious lines from movies, cooking Italian and Asian, and writing at cafes (including Starbuck's).

I love New York City (where I lived the first 3 years of my life) and driving down the open highway with music turned up full blast, windows rolled down and singing at the top of my lungs.

I look forward to meeting more of you--networking, chatting, etc...

As a side note: for Dever-based freelancers--I'm building media community with upcoming media mixers and other non-pitching fun events where media folk-- including staff of mags, newspapers, freelancers, tv, and radio-- can meet, mingle and just have fun! If interested, drop me a line--at bylisabarr@yahoo.com

Best to all,
Lisa

PS--you can read my bio and some columns I've written at: http://www.ryze.com/go/lisabarr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next