Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently November 1st, 2014, 4:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 25th, 2003, 4:35 pm 
Hi everyone. I'm sitting here a bit miffed. I have responded and answered many "calls" for interviews in this forum,which I believe to an absolutely wonderful opportunity for writers. After answering their questions and providing them with information, I have never heard from them again. I thought the folks requesting the information would provide feedback on their articles. Also I thought it was a requirement of the forum, that they were to mention other's articles/books, etc. Please tell me if I am wrong. However, I doubt that I will be responding to any more interview requests. I did this as a professional courtesy, as I view this forum as professional as well as a valuable tool and support system. If I have misled myself, please correct me. Would appreciate any feedback! :?

Post subject: Interview Requests
PostPosted: November 25th, 2003, 5:44 pm 

I've had good luck with interview requests. . .had several answers to my request and I've also answered a few on things that were within my experience levels. I was a little leery of posting to begin with because everything showed zero answers, but all the ones that contacted me did so through personal messaging or through an email address I provided. None posted their response on the site. Did you include an email contact address?

I went over to the interview request forum, but didn't see your username"westie" there. What subject were your requests concerning? Perhaps you'll get some answers from this forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 27th, 2003, 10:31 am 

Westie, you got my curiosity up with this one. . . I've been watching it hoping others would respond. Thought I'd bump it back to the top before it slips off the page.

I'm wondering if no one is responding or using the "interview request" forum, is there some reason why not? We've been provided with an easy way of finding "experts" and we aren't taking advantage of it?!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2003, 9:57 pm 
KRay, thanks for responding. I 've always included my email address as the folks requesting interviews have always contacted me. I complete their questionaires and any additional questions they may have, and...I never hear from them again. I've answered/responded to several interview requests, and not one has ever provided me with any follow-up about their article. As I said, I think this forum provides many wonderful opportunities for writers, but I am hesitant to respond in the future. I want to know when, where, and how my information is being utilized. Don't you agree? Thanks again for responding!

Post subject: interviews
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2003, 10:41 pm 

I'm not sure what the rules are here, but I can tell you that I've been interviewed by people using ProfNet and rarely hear back from the writer. Some of the articles I have had to find online by searching for my own name. With one of the larger publications, their fact checker called me.

Anyway, don't assume it's not being used just because you don't hear back from them. After all, they aren't supposed to let you proof the thing. That said, I do agree it would be nice to hear that it is or is not being used or that your information was/was not helpful--especially in a smaller forum such as this.

Good luck!

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2003, 11:33 pm 

It's only common courtesy to let someone who has been quoted in your article know when it will be in print. Come to think of it, I've responded to requests for two or three that have never let me know when their article will appear or even if the answers provided were something they were going to be able to use in their article.

On the other hand, someone responded to a request of mine a while back and I only knew when/where the article was going to be published a couple of weeks ago. I let her know immediately, but she may have wondered if she was ever going to hear from me! Personally, I always write back thanking the interviewee for their response, then I hang on to all the contact emails so I can notify the interviewees when the article is coming out, even though it may be a while before they hear back.

Some may be writing the articles first and then submitting them, therefore they would not know when/where it would be published until they had an acceptance. Some publications accept completed manuscripts rather than queries.

Post subject: interviews
PostPosted: December 4th, 2003, 10:48 am 

I agree with you K Ray! I always let my contacts know when the story will run and provide a copy of the article if possible. But, I've found that many writers don't do this. In fact, my sources are always shocked when I follow up with a copy of the article.

Oh, the world would be a nicer place if we could all use common courtesy!

PostPosted: December 10th, 2003, 1:41 pm 
Thanks to all of you for responding! I know if I ever requested information from someone, I would let them know if it was going to used and when, if possible. Good point that their article may be under submission, but I would still consider it a courtesy to say "Hey, I used some of your info. and my work is being reviewed." After all, I'd like to provide support and encouragement for their possible success! That was one of my goals in responding to their request in the first place, to support their efforts. Any way, thanks for your comments! I sincerely appreciated your thoughts!

Post subject: A great service!
PostPosted: December 10th, 2003, 5:31 pm 

I have found the interview forum to be fascinating, and a wonderful idea to find people to interview. I have responded to one request, and the woman who made it has been very kind in letting me know the progress of her work. We correspond through our private e-mails. I've finally made one myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2003, 2:53 pm 

I spent last year doing extensive interviews for background research for a novel. It's being shopped right now, and I send out information every few months to keep those who were kind enough to take time with me up-to-date. For instance, this year I've done holiday cards to everyone just dropping a line to let them know the status of the project, and telling them that I'll keep them informed. Once there's a signed contract for the project, I will let them know that information and also ask how they'd like to be listed in the acknowledgements. It's common courtesy.

I understand your frustration, westie, and hope you have better luck in the future! There's nothing more valuable than someone who takes the time and energy to ask questions. Sometimes it's only a sentence of two that's used, but it makes all the difference!

PostPosted: December 12th, 2003, 11:01 pm 

T0 Westie:

Westie, I'm not sure what your specialty is or what you're looking for in granting interviews but I can tell you that in 25 years of journalism it has been rare that I have ever established a relationship with a "source" (that's what we reporters call the people we interview) and we certainly never let them read our stories before they go to print. If you're looking for a friend, a buddy, I suggest you go to a chat room, ICQ or AOL Messenger. To my knowledge it is not a requirement of this forum to promote the books and publications of others nor provide feedback on their articles. Most of us who participate in this forum do so as a mentor to others, since many of us have many years in the writing and publishing business and know how hard it is for a newbie coming through the ranks. Don't give up giving up interview, Westie, because obviously you have much to share. But please adjust your attitude just a little. Be a giver, not a taker. OK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2003, 12:05 am 

In Westie's defense, I'm thinking there was a misunderstanding of his/her post. I didn't understand it to be requesting to read the story before it went to print, but rather AFTER it went to print . . . letting the person who gave the interview have a copy of the published article in which they were quoted.

Actually, the guidelines for posting on the "interview requests" does indicate you should mention the interviewee's publications. See "interview requests" at this link

http://writersweekly.com/phpBB2/index.p ... b94ed880f3

Post subject: re: Interview Requests
PostPosted: December 15th, 2003, 1:41 pm 

I must say that in westie's case it is only common courtesy that should not have to be in the rules, rather as a matter of course. But my disappointment in my two listings is that I'm getting no responses at all. Well I take that back I did receive one, which was somewhat negative as I must have posed the request to their dissatisfaction. Perhaps my subjects lack the FLASH needed to inspire responses, nonetheless they are worthy ideas. I think this forum for Interviews has begun to degenerate to the superflous. Please tell me I'm wrong. My two subjects were; Best Ideas for Visitation Dads (not exact) and What Investing Ideas Have Worked Best For You?. To date nothing.

If you look down the columns very few have responses.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2003, 3:04 pm 
Hi WellWritten -
The concern you have that no one replies to your requests may only have to do with your subjects. I think one way around that may be to open up the question to include not only people with experience as single dads or investors but to also invite suggestions about where to go to get interviews.

For example, there may not be too many divorced dads or investors in this group, but we can recommend places where the ground is more fertile, so to speak. For example, I don't have much money to invest, but the people that I know who do have money to invest are entrenpreneurs, close to retirement, owning vacation homes, traveling, etc. And they would probably love to talk to you.

On the dad issue, a number of years ago, I was working on a project that involved divorced dads. I went to a couple of meetings of a divorced men's group (by invitation, of course) and the main topic was visitation, etc. They couldn't be happier to tell their side and it changed much of my stereotypical thinking.

Anyway, I just wanted to add a few thoughts on that. I do read the requests and try to respond if I feel I can contribute, and I am sure many others feel that way too. But sometimes I just feel the request is out of my realm. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2003, 3:21 pm 

I also try to answer if something is within my experience. I was worried about the zero responses to most of the requests also and I wouldn't post for a long time because of it. After I posted a request, I learned that many people respond directly rather than on the forum itself.

If you haven't received a response, try bumping your request back to the top of the list & perhaps catch some new people reading.