Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently October 23rd, 2014, 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 12:29 pm 

Has anyone ever written for Transitions Abroad Magazine?

After writing a piece for them on spec last December, and having it accepted, published in their March/April issue, I've yet to hear from them. All emails and phone calls asking how much they pay, and when I can expect payment, have gone ignored.

The contract I was emailed, and which I promptly signed and returned early January, was never acknowledged.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Katreen Hardt

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2005, 8:04 pm 

Transitions Abroad was my first paid writing gig. What made it special was it was the first magazine I ever queried and submitted to and was accepted - beginner's luck. This was about 15 years ago and they paid $35.00 - somehow you never forget your first sale I guess! I submitted on spec and didn't hear from them until a couple of months later when they mailed my contributor copy with the check. They have been around a long time and are defintely legit. I never did a contract with them, or if I did it is so long ago I don't remember but I don't think I did. Possibly they're a bit behind in getting the March/April edition to press and that's why the delay. Though I do think that its awfully rude of them not to respond. I've never written for them since. No reason why not. Just moved on to bigger and better paying projects. Why don't you phone them and ask if the issue and your check are ready to be mailed to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 4:21 am 

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your reply.

I've tried phoning them but I always get an answering machine. Unfortunately, the number they listed on my contract - should I have any questions feel free to call - is the same number they have listed on their website. Regarding payment, I left them a message February 22nd. They never acknowledged it. Frustrating indeed.

Katreen

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 11th, 2005, 1:44 pm 

I did a search here using "Transitions Abroad" as the phrase, and quite a few discussions going back to 2003 popped up. You might want to try that and see what the experiences/opinons were. Maybe there is something in one of them. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 12th, 2005, 8:14 am 

Wouldn't you know - I received my two copies of the magazine, and payment, in the mail today.

Thanks to all for your concern.

Best,
Katreen

PostPosted: March 17th, 2005, 10:44 am 

I've written for Transitions Abroad for many years and never once had a payment issue. It clearly states in their writers' guidelines that they pay upon publication. There was no reason to expect to get it earlier than you did unless you saw the issue on the newsstand a month ago.

It's a niche magazine without a huge staff though and when you look at how many articles are in every issue, you can imagine the kind of correspondence the editor must be receiving. It often takes a while to hear back on something.

Post subject: link to guidelines
PostPosted: March 17th, 2005, 10:47 am 

Here's a link to their writers' guidelines. Payment info is spelled out at the bottom.

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/inform ... ters.shtml

This is probably why she didn't reply--the answers were already posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2005, 11:27 pm 

Transitions Abroad was also the home of my first publication. In 1988 I wrote a story for them called "Combating Cultural Re-Entry Shock" and received $25 on publication. I'm glad to hear they are still around.