Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently April 24th, 2014, 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: September 6th, 2004, 12:54 pm 

Tonya:

You don't really have any experience in publishing. I do, I have 2 books currently out with John Wiley & Sons. I have a third under contract with Dearborn Trade. I received five figure advances for each book. The first two published in 2001 and 2002 are still selling well. The third will be published in 2005. These books are nonfiction.

PublishAmerica is not how publishing works. PA is just a self publishing company like 1st books, or Ilibris. PublishAmerica misrepresents itself as a traditional publisher.

Dave:

Thank you for your advice I have filed a complaint with the Maryland Attorney General.

Dee Power

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2004, 10:17 pm 

Deepower,
I know that every company is diffrent and in my opinion I think Pa is doing a great job with my book. Yes I do have publishing experience, ever since i was 15 years old I have been having my poems published and also have a book of poems that is still selling well. Pa is publishing my first novel.

Post subject: Just the facts, please
PostPosted: September 6th, 2004, 10:51 pm 

TonyaR, who published your poetry? Publisher(s), book titles, ISBNs, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 6th, 2004, 11:14 pm 

Dave, why are you so interested in everything about TonyaR. I really would like to know.

Post subject: Doubts
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 1:08 am 

Let's see. Melodie Rogers was given a signing at WaldenBooks, even though her book is unreturnable and doesn't come with a standard discount. In spite of the trouble most PA authors have getting copies in any quantity, on the occasion of her signing she had more than a hundred copies in hand. Over on Amazon, her book has no rating and no reviews -- that is, it's made no sales at all there -- but in only two hours of signing copies at some little WaldenBooks, she's supposed to have sold 108 of the things, for an average of nine books every ten minutes.

Unless there's something she's not telling us about her book-signing techniques, I find this whole story difficult to believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 9:19 am 

Cera_k wrote:
Dave, why are you so interested in everything about TonyaR. I really would like to know.

Excuse me for speaking for Dave, but I think the reason he's asking the questions he's asking is because PA has a reputation for publishing anything and everything that crosses their threshold without regard for quality. Being "published" by PA may save you some rejection from the traditional publishing industry but PA's reputation is so bad, just having their name on your finished book assures you will be rejected by plenty of others. PA may use a different model than what most of us have seen in the past, but they are still a vanity publisher. Their products and tactics show they are far more interested in quantity than quality.

If Tonya is truly published in the traditional sense, proving it would lend PA (and her own writing skills) a bit of credibility. If PA (and Tonya's writing skills) are truly that great, why not vouch for them?

Beth

Post subject: Doubts
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 9:32 am 

Following up on my previous post --

A specimen of Melanie Rogers' writing can be found here: http://home.twcny.rr.com/melrogers/ex.html. It's the opening section of her book, Followed by Death. You could call it spectacular.

In kindness, I'm only quoting the first two paragraphs, which are the least spectacular portion of the excerpt. Note: I have no idea who the "she" is who's doing all this thinking, because right after the first two paragraphs, Rogers shifts to a tight-closeup third-person extremely omniscient flashback to an episode where the only woman present was a corpse.

Quote:
Thoughts of her family quickly reentered her mind. There were the twins. Marcus and Matthew. Identical twin boys, age twenty-nine going on thirty. Matt worked in the factory, and his wife Susan had died just nine months ago. It was horrible. The worst thing she, or anybody for that matter, had ever experienced in the history of Ft. Brighton. The whole town was in an uproar, and undoubtedly still is. She remembers it as if it were yesterday.

Matt had been working second shift, same as dad, and Sue was home with the kids, Mikey and Mitch. When he got home at approximately 12:45p.m., he walked in to what he still, to this day, considers to be hell. She was up in her bed, cuddled under the blankets as if she were sleeping. He even walked over to the bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead before he got in the shower. He dried himself off, and crawled into bed quietly, so as not to wake her. What happened next would change his life completely. ...

Betcha Marcus did it.

Anyway, Melodie Rogers is an unknown writer. Her book was published by PA, so it effectively got no promotion. Logically, any readers who bought her book at that signing would have to have done so after browsing its contents. But those contents? No way. Not believing it.

Before you argue with me, follow that link and read the rest of the excerpt.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 10:00 am 

Cera, I'd be interested in hearing more about Tonya's publishing history because one so rarely sees poetry collections, even by major poets, that can accurately be described as "selling well."

Tonya, if someone has a copy of your manuscript, all they have is a stack of paper. It doesn't mean they own your book. And by the way, if you're going to be a writer, you need to learn how to abbreviate "manuscript." "Manu" just looks weird. The standard abbreviation is "ms." If you're talking about more than one manuscript, it's "mss."

Post subject: Response
PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 7:33 pm 

Cera_k, she made claims without offering any proof. When asked, she has refused to show any substantiation. Now, should she be believed? In the meantime, she's badmouthing two publishers by implying that they did something she's either unable or unwilling to prove. I, for one, would like to know because if her allegations are true, then I want documentation so I can back up any recommendations that P&E makes regarding those publishers because many writers rely upon P&E for facts and integrity. If I don't have any facts, then nothing can be done to warn other writers.

If, on the other hand, her allegations are not true, then she is doing harm to those publishers and many writers who might believe her allegations and avoid those publishers for the wrong reasons. As well, if her allegations are false, then those are also wrongly supporting her choice of a publisher as better when it may not be.

In other words, if you make allegations, there is a responsibility to back those up. I have called upon her to simply back up those allegations.

PostPosted: September 7th, 2004, 8:09 pm 

Hapisoft:

I have seen your postings on this and other boards, always courteous, helpful, and positive.

Would you consider reviewing our new book, "The Making of a Bestseller: Success Stories from Authors and the Editors, Agents and Booksellers Behind Them," Dearborn Trade Publishing March 2005?

Please contact me at
authors@brianhillanddeepower.com

Dee
http://www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 8:08 am 

"For some reason, I thought that they would do everything for me. I thought that if the company published my book I could just sit at home and receive cheques through the mail box every day."

Um...actually that's exactly what I do. (Well the royalties only come in twice a year, not every day, obviously!) My publisher doesn't expect me to buy back my own books and wander round with a big bag on my back, trying to flog them to innocent passers-by.

Sorry,
aq

Post subject: Re: Doubts
PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 1:38 pm 

Quote:
Unless there's something she's not telling us about her book-signing techniques, I find this whole story difficult to believe.

I don't find it hard to believe at all -- mom bought fifty, dad bought sixty. But because PublishAmerica hadn't come through with the whole two hundred she'd ordered months before, she still owes dad two copies whenever they're delivered.

Post subject: Back on track, please
PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 3:15 pm 

Let's shake hands and move forward,

Quote:
Attitudes are more important than facts. - Karl Menninger

Many of us are observing this exchange, and personally, some of the comments are just not nice. Can we please remember, this is a public venue and the topic was about Publish America - not questioning people's integrity.

We're all here to keep abreast of the market and avoid pitfalls. Let's support and motivate towards a common goal.

Thanks and have a great day!

http://www.cynthiaborris.com

Post subject: Substantiation
PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 5:23 pm 

Her integrity becomes questioned only because of a lack of substantiation. It becomes unquestioned when she produces proof of her allegations. This is not a game where you get to irresponsibly throw dirt at two publishers without any consequences.

PostPosted: September 8th, 2004, 11:20 pm 

Okay, she has explained it before, Now I will. She said she was not bad mouthing them she used her experince as an example of someones question. Now Dave for ever you write for, if she doesnt want to give you those personal lettes or emails then face it bud, um whats the words, Oh yeay, Your #### out of luck! Quit bullying her. This is a forum, you wont get what you want by being a bully. And since this is public information, if I have an email on some publishers and it maybe dirt on them. I wouldn't give it to anyone. Because basically what business goes on between a writer and a publisher is non of anyones business unles they share something. And if they do like in Tonya's case. if that is all the info she is giving out, and she told you that. Leave her alone. When the Lady says no, its NO. NO NO NO NO! end of story!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 27  Next