Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently September 17th, 2014, 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 28th, 2004, 8:47 pm 

Has anybody dealt with Ephemera in Phoenix, Oregon. They deal with buttons, magnets, stickers, etc. and claim to pay $50 per slogan. I have sent them numerous slogans which would fit in with their current material. They keep rejecting me. I have no problem with rejections but somehow I feel they are not being up front with me. I'm concerned that the're using my material & not paying me for it.
They keep sending me form rejection letters saying I can get a better idea of what they are looking for if I buy their catalog for $4.00. This doesn't seem right to me. Can
anyone shed some some light here?

Post subject: $4 investment
PostPosted: May 11th, 2004, 9:56 pm 

I have not dealt with Ephemera, but I think getting the catalog might not be a bad idea. I usually study a magazine (either by buying one or, better, checking it out at the library for free) so I'll know the tone, audience, sidebar preference, whether bylined, etc. $4 doesn't seem like a whole lot to invest to see what they've approved previously. Another reason for getting the catalog: While it's not likely that they're using your stuff and not paying you (I assume the best in people until proven otherwise), if it were true, you'd see your stuff in the catalog and know for sure. You can also think of the suggestion to get the catalog as encouragement to keep submitting (after you've studied what they want, of course).

Just my .02 worth...

Shelia