Home

The WritersWeekly.com Forum is officially closed.
You are welcome to browse the archives of past
discussions below, but there are no new discussions.

Everything has moved to our new website,
where you can comment on articles
and submit questions directly to us. Please join us there.

Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 11:18 am 

I wrote encyclopedia entries for Book Builders and turned in an invoice at the end of January and still haven't gotten paid. I have repeatedly called them and asked them when I will get paid, they keep giving me dates, the dates keep passing, I keep calling...etc. Not to mention their whole system of submitting invoices is totally Byzantine...I had to submit five invoices for one job.

I probably should have known better. During the process, they double assigned some of my entries and took forever to get my contract. A friend of mine was going to write some entries for them as well but after waiting for her contract, constantly getting blown off by the editor, not having her phone calls returned, and then learning that two of the entries she had just written had been assigned to someone else, told them to forget it.

I am a new freelancer and probably horribly niave. But I work for a magazine that uses freelancers and am responsible for their invoices. I make sure people are paid within two months at the very latest. Is it normal to have to wait this long?

Post subject: BookBuilders/Sage
PostPosted: May 13th, 2004, 3:05 pm 

Hi,

I've worked with both these organizations, and they're not the same group. BookBuilders is a packager in NYC, though I believe there might be two organizations called BookBuilders. The one in NYC is the one I've worked with. Although I worked for the publisher who also hired BookBuilders, and hence wasn't a contractor for them, I've since heard other freelancers complain about not getting paid by BB or getting paid months late.

I currently work with Sage and have not had problems getting paid. Is it possible Sage hired BB? In that case, it's tough to hold Sage responsible.

Cheryl :?: