Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently July 28th, 2014, 8:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2004, 11:30 am 

Sorry to add my two cents' worth, but I agree that the original email sounded threatening and offensive. I agree that it was uncalled for to add the personal information about your financial straits. They don't care. No boss would care. And, although their return email was a bit harsh, it was true: if $100 from a FREELANCE job is going to make or break you, you probably should consider alternate means of income.

Yes, their response was out of line. But its tone followed the tone you set in your equally out of line contact. You didn't receive your check on the 30th day? You didn't allow for post time. Your comments about celebrating some satanic religion are a bit exaggerated. After all, Easter is a national holiday, not just a religious one, and it is an accepted business practice to take Good Friday off. I think you're reaching.

I empathize with the man who made the comment about how perfect you must be. Guess you've never missed a deadline: that's great. But most editors deal with delinquent writers all the time. And delinquent clients. Ever think that their inability to pay you was related to an advertiser who was late paying them? In your book of blame, that would justify late payment to you, just as you justify late car payments to their tardiness. Seen in that light, it doesn't make as much sense, does it?

I'd say you've alienated an employer and potentially other employers. Hope it was worth that $100.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2004, 5:00 pm 

Well, I happened into this thread right after reading some articles about how freelancers have to balance their budgets to allow for the routine delayed payment. Having said that, I can't reiterate any more than the posters before me how important it is to do that (and, yes, how employers don't care about your personal financial straits - they are not responsible for your car insurance.)

BUT. Having said THAT, and despite the tone of your first email (which, incidentally, I don't think was nasty, just sharp, and that's perfectly understandable) they had no right to blast back an even worse attitude. The way Mammano expressed himself is unforgiveable. Well, it's his prerogative, but sooooo highly unprofessional! I'm glad you managed to get a chuckle out of it, at least, even if you didn't get a paycheck.

Anyway, thanks for the warning. Who needs to deal with somebody with that kind of trigger temper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2004, 10:27 am 

James,

It's been several more days. Has your check arrived from them yet?

Angela

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 22nd, 2004, 3:09 pm 

Hi James. I have to admit that I was surprised by your experiences with Next Step. I have written for them a few times over the past couple of years, have dealt with Laura, and have never had a problem getting payment. They have always been prompt and professional. The tone and language in the emails you posted that were sent to you seem out of character for the individuals with which I am familiar. They should pay per their contract with you, but writing a letter stating that you would have to go to traffic court if they didn't pay you was immature and not professional in my opinion. Regardless, the bottem line is that they should pay within 30 days. If they didn't like your writing then they didn't have to use you again, but they do have an obligation to pay you for what they agreed to pay you. I think it was wrong to make personal attacks against you in return, as this is about business. Again, I am really amazed by their behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2004, 12:36 pm 

I too have written for Next Step and have found Laura to be nothing but courteous and professional. (And they paid promptly.) Before blasting them for being immature or mean-spirited, consider that they were only responding in kind.

PostPosted: May 1st, 2004, 10:14 pm 

You should be so lucky that it was only $100. I was ripped off for $800, MAJOR breach of contract, from a vile PR wench in Dallas, TX named Leann Garms. I was advised by a lawyer not to pursue it. She gave me the same song and dance about "personal issues"--not my problem!

Tacky emails on their part! UGH

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2004, 6:38 pm 

One has to wonder why James was so quick to srcream about payment not arriving and yet doesn't have the courtsey to say if he ever got paid. One has to assume he did, or he would be back in this forum with bells on. I know one publication he'll never write for again.

Post subject: Next Step
PostPosted: May 10th, 2004, 4:18 pm 

In response to the writer who felt he was "mistreated" by Next Step, I would like to say that I have had several positive experiences with this publication. Three of my articles have been published there. The times my queries were rejected, the editor always explained why and encouraged me to submit additional story ideas. I was quite surprised at the comments and the vehemence with which they were delivered. I, for one, have always been treated professionally and courteously by the editorial staff at Next Step.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2005, 1:44 pm 

Bells on?

Well, I'm back everyone. The short version is I was unavoidably detained for a while.

Yes, I got paid. Late, and after a few more nasty exchanges, but they paid up. I was hugely surprised when I looked at my old post and saw how it snowballed. My warmest thanks to all of you who came forward in support and comraderie.

Seems I've been racked a time or two while I was away for unprofessional conduct. Noted.

All those who believed, thank you.

-James McLuckie