Statements appearing in these forums represent the opinions of the authors
of each post, not the opinion of WritersWeekly.com and/or BookLocker.com.
It is currently August 23rd, 2014, 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2004, 10:38 pm 

If writing all that helps you sleep better at night, that's great.

But, the facts, in my opinion, are quite clear. Companies that sell term papers and research papers to students are doing a disservice to those students.

If they really want to help students, they should either publish a book on how to write term papers, or they should launch a tutoring service. Both ideas are far more ethical than writing complete, custom papers that students can hand in and claim as their own.

Angela Hoy
WritersWeekly.com

Read my article on why term paper mills should be outlawed here:
http://www.angelahoy.com/writing/archives/000060.html

And a follow-up, Arrogant Cheater, here:
http://www.angelahoy.com/writing/archives/000073.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 27th, 2004, 1:07 am 

You call selling custom essays to students legitimate - well, laws change and with your active participation such laws in UK are very much likely to change quite soon.

Post subject: Deveraux and Deloitte
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2004, 9:14 pm 

THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY WRITERSWEEKLY.

The post makes it appear his name is Barclay Deloitte, the owner of the company being discussed. However, that is not his name. Guessing from his email address, his name appears to be Paul Casey.

PLEASE, PEOPLE, BE HONEST AND PLAY FAIR!

Opinions are fine, but trying to vaguely fool others is WRONG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 9:41 am 
Dear Angela,

Your opinions on 'term paper mills' as well as you 2-line response to my arguments are simply laughable. You have only reaffirmed my previous assertions about those that maintain your opinions on this topic.

I would have expected rather more from you as the owner of this site

Shame on you for your inability to see both sides of the argument and maintaining such an archaic, short-sighted, and judgemental viewpoint.

As a lecturer and a quality control assistant for Deveraux and Deloitte I am proud to be part of their organisation.

As for the soon to be removed post from the poster who thinks it is clever to pose as the owner of the company - "Barclay Deloitte" - I have contacted the company and surprise, surprise, there is no record of the owner posting such comments.

Rest assured they will be issuing a subpoena for your I.P. address.

What an ill informed and numb minded forum this has shown itself to be.

Sahrah

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 11:01 am 

THIS POST HAS BEEN REMOVED BY WRITERSWEEKLY.

The post makes it appear his name is Barclay Deloitte, the owner of the company being discussed. However, that is not his name. Guessing from his email address, his name appears to be Paul Casey.

PLEASE, PEOPLE, BE HONEST AND PLAY FAIR!

Opinions are fine, but trying to vaguely fool others is WRONG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 2:50 pm 

Many apologies for using your site for my prank and for underestimating the diligence with which you police entries.

Many apologies too to Mr Deloitte, who I did not know existed. If he wants to complain to me directly he can grab me at paul_casey_uk@yahoo.co.uk.

Regards,

P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 3:45 pm 

Angela, it is obvious, that this company is using WritersWeekly to increase its PR coverage!!! How cheap is that!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 10:10 pm 

We have banned Sahrah Jayne Lecavalier from this board. She or he posted a bizarre note, accusing me of accusing the owner of the company being discussed of posting something under a different name. It appears she thinks I posted the note directly above, when it was clearly written TO me, not BY me. She is obviously confused about the person above the previous whose posts were removed because he was posing as someone else, but that person was not the owner of the company.

She/he then threatened to serve us with a subpoena, though she seems to be a contractor with that company and not an employee, nor an owner. Funny, that's the third time I've seen the word subpoena written by somebody representing the company being discussed here. Childish and empty threats will get you nowhere here, but will definitely get you banned from this board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 10:44 pm 

Interesting discussion. I must admit to having been unaware that requiring students to actually do their own work, without reference of any kind to custom written material from third parties, had become archaic. I guess that explains my participation in an ill informed, numb minded forum.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2004, 10:46 pm 

I for one would like to know how a private citizen is going to issue a subpoena and based on what? Perhaps this writer earned his/her law degree by using term papers purchased on the internet, because it certainly has no basis in US or Canadian law.

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 15th, 2004, 11:45 am 

Your analogy of this situation is perfect!

Post subject: Appalled
PostPosted: March 17th, 2004, 3:23 pm 

Hello Everyone,

Brand new here, but I am appalled that anyone with any self-respect would write term papers for hire like this. I realize this is not a new idea, it's probably been going on since students first needed papers, but to defend this practice so vociferously leads me to believe "Sahrah" was probably not a "researcher" at all, but possibly in their sales dept. trying to attract new "researchers". I don't think anyone is naive enough to believe students are only using the papers for research. This is one step away from buying phony degrees off the internet.

Maureen

Post subject: freely available....
PostPosted: March 17th, 2004, 7:54 pm 

Maureen, it seems that knowledge nowadays worth nothing: students buy term papers, other buy degrees (“which you may have already earned”), in some countries you have to buy "government positions" to work there and so on. Do you know where will it lead our world?

I personally believe that those writing term papers for students are doing so only because they did not achieve anything significant professionally (e.g. did not manage to get a job for example) and decided to stick to something they can do (writing papers) instead of pursuing their skills further.

I do feel sorry for such people. This is the only thing they can do and this is why they are protecting it so aggressively. They are not trying to convince you, that this is good – they want to believe in it themselves. However as the time goes, hopefully they will understand that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2004, 10:11 am 

What's interesting about this discussion is that most of the established writers, those who actually can make a living with writing, are against it. Cetainly the case for me and Angela Hoy. Yet, if you read not only this thread but some of the others, you quickly see it's those claiming they can't find work that insist on doing it. Maybe integrity does have something to do with success after all. Wouldn't that be great?

Anyway, when novices enter the industry and tell those of us who have been here for decades we're wrong, you can pretty much rest assured we won't be seeing much more from those newcomers in the future. Integrity aside, attitude is everything. "I know it all" isn't going to get you much past writing term papers for which you'll never be paid.

Maybe a nice hobby, but don't quit that day job.

Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 21st, 2004, 12:22 pm 

BookCoverDesigner wrote:
What's interesting about this discussion is that most of the established writers, those who actually can make a living with writing, are against it. Cetainly the case for me and Angela Hoy. Yet, if you read not only this thread but some of the others, you quickly see it's those claiming they can't find work that insist on doing it. Maybe integrity does have something to do with success after all. Wouldn't that be great?

Anyway, when novices enter the industry and tell those of us who have been here for decades we're wrong, you can pretty much rest assured we won't be seeing much more from those newcomers in the future. Integrity aside, attitude is everything. "I know it all" isn't going to get you much past writing term papers for which you'll never be paid.

Maybe a nice hobby, but don't quit that day job.

Cat

You may be right, but I think that the reverse is probably true for more people. I think it's more likely that lack of ability to find good work leads to less integrity, rather than more integrity leads to better work.

Case in point: Both Jayson Blair and Jack Kelly were very successful, but definitely didn't have a lot of professional integrity. I'm sure many people make it to the top in completely honest manners, but I suspect that many others have no problem stooping a bit to make their way up the ladders.

Though of course, I doubt either Jayson Blair or Jack Kelly ever wrote for term paper sites...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next