P.O. Box 1088
Savannah, GA 31402
Email linda.wittish - at - savannahnow.com
Linda Wittish, Editor
GUIDELINES FOR WRITERS
Savannah Magazine publishes articles about local people and events in and around the Savannah area of interest to residents of the city, Chatham County and the surrounding region. Freelance contributions are welcomed.
Deadlines: The editorial deadlines for completed manuscripts are as follows:
JAN/FEB 2007 Oct. 20, 2006
MARCH/APRIL Dec. 15, 2006
MAY/JUNE Feb. 9, 2007
JUL/AUG April 13, 2007
SEPT/OCT June 15, 2007
NOV/DEC Aug. 17, 2007
Format: Savannah Magazine prefers completed manuscripts, however, detailed queries from published writers are acceptable. (Queries should be submitted six weeks prior to the above deadlines.) Writers new to Savannah Magazine are encouraged to send samples of their work along with a resume.
Savannah Magazine reports on unsolicited manuscripts within four weeks. Materials accompanied by a self-addressed stamped envelope will be returned.
Telephone queries are NOT accepted.
Electronic submissions via e-mail are preferred. Send queries or articles to the editor at linda.wittish - at - savannahnow.com.
The writer’s name, address, phone number and Social Security number must be included.
Savannah Magazine utilizes Associated Press style.
Payment: Payment varies according to length, subject matter and the writer’s experience. Savannah Magazine is copyrighted. Savannah Magazine buys First North American serial rights and some Second serial rights in order to reprint in special publications. Payment is made upon publication. Savannah Magazine does not pay expenses.
• Nonfiction: Profile, issues and general features of interest to Savannahians and residents of the area. Feature articles are approximately 1,800-2,500 words; shorter features also are accepted. Payment is $150-$350, depending on the length and nature of the assignment.
• History: Thoroughly researched articles on unique people and events in the history of Savannah, written in a lively, non-academic style. 1,000-1,500 words. $150-$250.
• Travel: Regular feature on interesting places to visit. Focus at the present time is day trips from Savannah or weekend destinations. 1,000-1,500 words. Payment is $250. (No expenses.)
• Noteworthy: A collage of lively and intriguing news shorts about people and events in the Savannah area. Payment is $100 per item.
• Homescape: Colorful “tours” of the city’s most unique homes, ranging from historical to contemporary and including topics such as restoration and remodeling. 1,800-2,500 words. Payment is $250-$350.
• Business: Savannah-related personalities/issues/economic profiles. 500-750 words. Payment is $250.
• The Arts: A sampling of Savannah’s arts community, including theater, art, music, museums and profiles of artists. Payment is $250.
• Last Word: A "guest" column format with particular interest in nostalgic or light-hearted subjects. Limited to no more than 1,000 words. Payment is $150.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN SAVANNAH MAGAZINE.